adding some fictional train locomotives into "default"

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

elvenisko
Engineer
Engineer

adding some fictional train locomotives into "default"

Post by elvenisko »

Hello everyone,

I am playing TTD/OpenTTD for a long time (singleplayer), and I have a simple question: how can I add more trains? I do not wish to create anything complicated, with new graphics - just to add a few locomotives with models already used.

For example: SH30 and SH40 are great, and I wish to add SH50, a little better than SH40. How can I do that? I wish that SH50 will have the same graphics, just different speed, strengh etc.

few trains I wish to create:
- big, 2-place diesel locomotive, similar to Turner Turbo, but for temperate region
- SH50
- very old locomotives, for playing in 19th century and the very beginning of 20th century
- x2 monorail (better then x1 model)

etc...

So, how can i do that and what tools i need? it may be added to online content later, of course, with open licence (CC or GPL). Many thanks :)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: adding some fictional train locomotives into "default"

Post by Baldy's Boss »

There is an available NewGRF for the SH50 and SH60.Find it with "Check Online Content".

You want to add older locomotives similar to the UKRS2 and NARS offerings...or different how?
elvenisko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elvenisko »

Baldy's Boss wrote:There is an available NewGRF for the SH50 and SH60.Find it with "Check Online Content".

You want to add older locomotives similar to the UKRS2 and NARS offerings...or different how?
checking right now... not succesful right now, but i will find it. it is of course much better to use allready existing train set, especially if someone allready made SH50 etc. any idea about how to narrow my search? or i can download all UK trains and find out...

about 19th century... i was thinking about creating a fictional trains with Kirby Paul Tank/Jubilee graphics... like a model with speed 40km/h and 200hp.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Welcome elvenisko.

Search for this in the Online Content service:

Brianum: SH'50' & SH'60'

There are lots of trainsets out there that add many engines, all round... But they do remove the default engines.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
elvenisko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elvenisko »

tested - working - and many thanks :) you made a new guy here happy :)

btw how does it work exactly? is it some sort of packed PNGs and text config files, right? how can i unpack (and possibly re-pack) a .grf file?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

elvenisko wrote:tested - working - and many thanks :) you made a new guy here happy :)

btw how does it work exactly? is it some sort of packed PNGs and text config files, right? how can i unpack (and possibly re-pack) a .grf file?
Not exactly. It has its own programming languages with compilers which create the grf files from the image files and source code text files. Reverse engineering the grf files into their sources generally is not possible. You can convert a grf file back into plain nfo and images, but calling that readable is calling uncommented assembler programmes readable.

See
http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Main_Page (nfo, assembler-like programming language)
http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NML:Main (nml, python-like programming language)

http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NMLTutorial

http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/grfdev (hosting site for many open-source NewGRFs)
elvenisko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elvenisko »

okay, understand now. can I ask you (or anyone else) to paste a text config file (of any newgrf or original grf file) here via pastebin.com or similar method? i wish to see the structure of the file for temperate region
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

planetmaker wrote:You can convert a grf file back into plain nfo and images, but calling that readable is calling uncommented assembler programmes readable.)
Which is to say not impossible, you just have to know what you're reading. Still, having original documented source code is better, especially if it was done in NFO. :-)

NML is much better about that, especially since most NewGRF packages created these days are done so under open source licenses that require developers to retain the original source code and make them available. Most older packages developed under NFO have no such licenses, their developers are no longer around, and it's a nightmare trying to reverse engineer their work.
elvenisko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elvenisko »

Where can i find sources of brianum?
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Dave wrote:Welcome elvenisko.

Search for this in the Online Content service:

Brianum: SH'50' & SH'60'

There are lots of trainsets out there that add many engines, all round... But they do remove the default engines.
If you use an "Original vehicle names" NewGRF with a NewGRF that removes the default set,you keep the default set (under their TT rather than TTD names) alongside the other NewGRF.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

I've never seen source releases of Brianum series of NewGRF.
Check out http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/grfdev. There are a few train sets with source code available, just not Brianum SH50 etc. But you can get some ideas how you can code new trains GRF.
elvenisko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elvenisko »

okay, right now I am definetly lost. Can I ask for a direct link to anything, that will add a few trains and keep original trainset unchanged? or is there any way how can I contact the author of Brianum?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The only set that I know for sure will keep default OpenTTD vehicles is the OpenGFX+ Trains set. That set itself represents minor graphical and performance upgrades of the default OpenTTD trains, but if you wish you can configure it to not replace the default trains.

Return to “General OpenTTD”