General Questions

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Macil
Engineer
Engineer

General Questions

Post by Macil »

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area, I don't visit this site very often. I just had two quick questions. The first one is in regarding to deleting antennas, light houses and industries. I remember I used to use some other Transport Tycoon thing called TTDX and it allowed me to do this. Is there a way to do this on OpenTTD and if so how?

Second, it seems every time I add new content to the game in the way of new industries, it becomes next to impossible to make a profit. I notice the running costs of any new vehicles sky rockets and the pay I receive for transporting goods plummets, even goods that were part of the game the whole time - like passengers/mail. Almost immediately from the beginning of the game I plunge into a downward spiral of irreversible debt. Is there any set of options somewhere to make this custom content less brutal on player economy so I can actually enjoy playing with the new content for more than 10 minutes before I go bankrupt? lol

Any help is greatly appreciated. Happy holidays in the mean time. =)
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: General Questions

Post by Alberth »

1) use the magic bulldozer cheat (should be explained at the wiki)

2) what additions do you use exactly? It makes a huge difference which NewGRFs you use.
Macil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Macil »

Well, I know how to use the cheat but my wife and I are trying to find something that will let us use it in a multiplayer game.

As for what GRFs I'm using. I just picked out a random bunch that sounded interesting when I clicked the online content button. Heres the list of what I'm using:

Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

I am not familiar with all of the NewGrfs you have there but I would venture to say that having three different city builders might be a problem. One should be enough. The suspended monorail NewGrf is, I think (and please correct me if I am wrong), a replacement for trams. So you have that NewGrf plus a few others that relate to trams that could be causing conflicts. Long Vehicles v4 also has an effect on the price of all other vehicles in the game making them much more expensive to purchase and to run. You have that NewGrf plus eGRVTS in the game. While not a conflict in the strictest sense with the proper Advanced Setting turned on ("Enable multiple NEWGRF engine sets" under the vehicle settings) it is not always a good idea to have multiple vehicle sets of the same type (road vehicle, train, etc.) in a game as they could cause unwanted behavior in one or the other of the sets.

The bottom line is that you should choose one NewGrf that deals with one thing for each possibility in the game. In other words - one vehicle set for each type of vehicle, one city builder, one bridge set, etc. If you are willing to spend the time running experimental games to see what effect a particular combination of NewGrfs has on each other then you can use multiple NewGrfs in the same categories provided you are aware of, and happy with, the result.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

It's probably the city builder grfs as Nite says.

FIRS does adjust cargo rates, but not in a way where you'll lose money with the vehicles you're using. It in no way affects vehicle costs
Nite Owl wrote:Long Vehicles v4 also has an effect on the price of all other vehicles in the game making them much more expensive to purchase and to run
The issue where one set can affect the prices of other sets is fixed in nightly builds of OpenTTD, but might not be in stable (1.0.5) release. Not sure :)
Macil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Macil »

Wow, I had no idea they could conflict like that. I just thought the more the merrier lol. I guess it'd be nice if the download list was categorized a bit more for what you're downloading or at least have some message popping up saying you should use one set from each category as you suggested. Either way OpenTTD rocks though, heh. Before I run to try to fix this, does anyone know if the download is on here somewhere for the cruise ship? I don't remember what it was a part of or where I got it from, I had it a zillion years ago and can't remember where to get it. (Thanks a bunch for the great answers!)
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

For the only Cruise Ship I know of CLICK HERE and download New Ships by michael blunck. I believe a new version with extended cargo support for the firs and ECS NewGrfs (additional industries) is planned for release sometime soon.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
enve
Engineer
Engineer

Post by enve »

Hi guys! Im a noob with OpenTTD, so please dont be angry, if im asking idiot questions!:) And sorry for my bad english.
So, my problem is the downloaded trains price! In the Spain set the trains are very expensive, but in other sets the trains are more cheap. Any way to fix this problem? If i need to edit the grf-s, please tell me how hard is it! Thank you very much
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

enve wrote:Hi guys! Im a noob with OpenTTD, so please dont be angry, if im asking idiot questions!:) And sorry for my bad english.
So, my problem is the downloaded trains price! In the Spain set the trains are very expensive, but in other sets the trains are more cheap. Any way to fix this problem? If i need to edit the grf-s, please tell me how hard is it! Thank you very much
The cost of the trains in Spanish Train set was recently discussed in the development forum. The set is not 100% finished yet, you might want to post in this thread and discuss it with the developer.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

And to add to the above: every set author chooses the price of vehicles in the set seperately. That will always cause difference between original vehicles and downloaded sets and between different downloaded sets.

I believe that changing the construction cost in game options does influence the purchase cost of vehicles too. Try playing with setting to low if it isn't on low already.

Return to “General OpenTTD”