[Screenshots only] Additonal Station Parts

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

[Screenshots only] Additonal Station Parts

Post by eis_os »

Hi

I somehow defeat grfmaker I finally could made some quite basic stuff that I want to show (before some other people say it's their idea)

The first is an additonal part that works with the New Station Set (underpass only)
The second one is a non so obvious Waypoint. It tries to represent a DB Fernsprecher. (Telephone) Limiting to 5 pixels it's quite hard to show the real detail.

(For reference: http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/de/mis ... rs0770.jpg I plan to have a version with the aditional signaling building you see at the back aswell )
Attachments
oastat_fernsprecher.png
oastat_fernsprecher.png (14.13 KiB) Viewed 6262 times
oastat.png
oastat.png (8.16 KiB) Viewed 6263 times
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye, the Fernsprecher. I remember Saskia asked me to draw one a looooong time ago.

The underpass idea is brilliant!
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> The underpass idea is brilliant!

What exactly is brilliant with an underpass?

regards
Michael
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The idea to use tiles outside a station to make it look like a tunnel under the landscape. That's brilliant.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

>> What exactly is brilliant with an underpass?

> The idea to use tiles outside a station to make it look like a tunnel under the landscape. That's brilliant.

That´s neither new nor brilliant, IMO. If you actually had the idea to split a station, using underpass tiles on both station parts would generate that illusion automatically.

Don´t take me wrong. I don´t talk bad about Oskar´s sprites, it´s just the inflationary use of terms like "brilliant", "awesome", etc which doesn´t make sense in most cases.

We wouldn´t have words for an exceptional great idea. 8)

regards
Michael
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, ok, then it's not brilliant :P, but it's still a good idea nobody else released. At least, IMO.
Image Image
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

I like the subtleness of the waypoint. The Canadian Stations Set has one in the same vein as that, only it too is not yet released.

As for the underpass, the colours are not defined enough to illustrate what it is.

Needless to say, these are brilliant, I mean awesome, I mean decent ideas.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Oskar - I like what you're doing, the idea with the underpass is one I've long wanted to see implemented, so as to have the underpass under say, a through line, running through, with a terminus track nearby too. Would make the station look really realistic.

As to the waypoint, thats a very handy addition. Currently, I feel guilty about having 3-4 signalboxes at a very simple junction, so the trackside phone as a "waypoint" style of use is a good idea. Perhaps also have one as a small trackside hut, with some old rails stacked next to it, stuff thats ideal for a waypoint building without being a proper signal box.

I do like it though :).
michael blunck wrote:We wouldn´t have words for an exceptional great idea. 8)
Like mine?

*Hides*

I've caused enough trouble.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

lifeblood wrote:I like the subtleness of the waypoint. The Canadian Stations Set has one in the same vein as that, only it too is not yet released.

As for the underpass, the colours are not defined enough to illustrate what it is.
I am open for better color representations, any ideas? I think I need to make the whole thing a bit smaller to have more tile place around it.

About Michael, he simply hasn't yet such station blocks. :mrgreen:, Not serious, he fears competition :P (Consindering I am quite bad in action stuff I am quite happy I have some output at all.)

I asked Michael before starteing my additional station parts to use some of his sprites, but decided to draw my own while waiting for an answer. Now I have to understand his email about station fences ...

That´s neither new nor brilliant, IMO. If you actually had the idea to split a station, using underpass tiles on both station parts would generate that illusion automatically.
Not if you have station buildings with different orientation. As you may already have spotted, the first post is from my last station screenshot series, and I am still not very satisfied with the overall look of that station complex. As no station set provide me with the right ingredients so I need to create my own.

While Grfmaker is a nice app currently it limits my creativeity a bit ...
Purno wrote:Aye, the Fernsprecher. I remember Saskia asked me to draw one a looooong time ago.
Well if you come up with a better one, thats actually my third version.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

@Rai
> the idea with the underpass is one I've long wanted to see implemented,

Well, that idea could always be realized (e.g. with NewStations), supposed you had split the station.

I really don´t understand what should be new with that idea, except that Oskars´ tiles look different than my underpasses?

> As to the waypoint, thats a very handy addition. Currently, I feel guilty about having 3-4 signalboxes at a very simple junction,

Well, now with the "restrictions feature" for signals, you wouldn´t need any "waypoints" at all?

@Oskar
> About Michael, he simply hasn't yet such station blocks. :mrgreen:

Are you sure? 8)

> Not if you have station buildings with different orientation.

Well, in my version of NewStations there are underpasses on non-track tiles as well (o/c they don´t look like yours) and you´d be able to choose their direction too. No problem BTW, because that´s just a swap of x- and y-coordinates.

regards
Michael
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

eis_os wrote:
Purno wrote:Aye, the Fernsprecher. I remember Saskia asked me to draw one a looooong time ago.
Well if you come up with a better one, thats actually my third version.
Probably not, yours looks as detailed as possible, at that scale.
Image Image
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

michael blunck wrote:
> As to the waypoint, thats a very handy addition. Currently, I feel guilty about having 3-4 signalboxes at a very simple junction,

Well, now with the "restrictions feature" for signals, you wouldn´t need any "waypoints" at all?
Hmm, sounds interesting. I haven't heard about that yet. can someone tell me more about it?
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

michael blunck wrote:@Rai
> the idea with the underpass is one I've long wanted to see implemented,

Well, that idea could always be realized (e.g. with NewStations), supposed you had split the station.

I really don´t understand what should be new with that idea, except that Oskars´ tiles look different than my underpasses?
You can build them by your own on non track tiles. Thats the only the difference.

michael blunck wrote: > As to the waypoint, thats a very handy addition. Currently, I feel guilty about having 3-4 signalboxes at a very simple junction,

Still the pathfinder has the usally 64 tile 7 junction problem... It's an addition to the pathfinder. So if you vehicle can't find it's target it still necessary ... (Atleast the plan was not to change the pathfinder in that way, and I can't find code that changes the trace step count. )

michael blunck wrote: @Oskar
> About Michael, he simply hasn't yet such station blocks. :mrgreen:

Are you sure? 8)
At the time I have contacted you didn't. Or you did and lie and said only you can use the stuff you already have to create them. Surely you have finished them until now. At the time I wrote the above my current knowledge was you didn't :)
michael blunck wrote: > Not if you have station buildings with different orientation.

Well, in my version of NewStations there are underpasses on non-track tiles as well (o/c they don´t look like yours) and you´d be able to choose their direction too. No problem BTW, because that´s just a swap of x- and y-coordinates.
Who said you can't choose the direction? I have 4 tiles, so you are able to choose the direction aswell.

Here are the other parts:
Attachments
oastat_underpass.png
oastat_underpass.png (13.69 KiB) Viewed 6024 times
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

I think the opening (tunnel) should be wider - makes it easier to see that there *is* a tunnel :-)
Attachments
TunnelWalk.png
TunnelWalk.png (899 Bytes) Viewed 5983 times
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

i agree

Post by m4rek »

i agree, i couldnt even see what you were on about before
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Hmm, I guess my concept didn't quite worked then, ups. The tunnel should be yellow illuminated and the thing in the middle is a column :)
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

well, in that case, I think the illumination is too bright and two yellowish.
Try to whiten it a bit and maybe try to work out something like single spots where the light comes from, rather then just a plain wall of yellow.
Just some advice...
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

and make spots of it.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

While thinking how to apply your suggestions, I made this:
-edit-
And a new underpass as sample:
Attachments
ostatwp.png
ostatwp.png (10.76 KiB) Viewed 5913 times
oastat_underpass_new.png
oastat_underpass_new.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

>>> About Michael, he simply hasn't yet such station blocks. :mrgreen:

>>Are you sure? 8)

> At the time I have contacted you didn't.

We were talking about the current (read: released) version of NewStations amd that in this version there are no tiles which would fit your needs. However, I´ve told you that there are more underpasses in developement and I showed you a screenshot of one of them.

> Or you did and lie

Hold your breath.

> and said only you can use the stuff you already have to create them.

What are you talking about?

> Surely you have finished them until now.

No. Why should I? I didn´t work on anything related to NewStations since weeks.

> At the time I wrote the above my current knowledge was you didn't

I told you that I have tried and tested lots of stuff. Indeed, I have gigabytes of drawings which have never been released. But I don´t think that´s the point.

The point is that there will be more freely usable non-track tiles in the next version of NewStations, including also more underpass variants. And that´s totally independent of your own work. Which you have every right to do.

The only point why I was insisting here being the argument that to have such kind of underpasses would be a "new and brilliant idea". - Which it is not, IMO.

regards
Michael

Return to “Graphics Development”