Swedish trains by AndersI (and others) - upd 2009-05-24

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Swedish trains by AndersI (and others) - upd 2009-05-24

Post by AndersI »

OK, I finally decided to give those trains a thread of their own (instead of hanging on to the Sweset thread). In the picture below, you can see the current lineup in my depot. The GRF file is also included.

The GRF is coded by myself with GRFMaker, without which progress would have been much slower. The coding is not very fancy for the moment, but you can at least get the trains running in the game.

The stats are still off a bit, and contains some obvious errors (this is a WIP, you know).

Contributors:
Purno (the base for Rc6, which got me all started on drawing for TTD)
Vemarkis (Akalamanaia) (the Y6, although I have redrawn it a bit)
OSkar000 (Y1 livery)
and everyone else that has given me data and constructive criticism here in the forums and elsewhere

Update 2007-02-03: X2 added (X2000 is the train, X2 the engine)
Update 2007-03-08: Y1 livery by OSkar000 added
Update 2007-03-12: R and X3 completed
Update 2007-07-30: Dm, Dm3, Iore, X50
Update 2007-11-29: Ore, Coal, Grain wagons, three generations
Update 2009-05-24: HR141, container wagons, alignment adjustments
Attachments
sw1.png
sw1.png (9.1 KiB) Viewed 55264 times
sw2.png
sw2.png (6.15 KiB) Viewed 55229 times
ai_swedishw_7_3.zip
Windows version
(70.45 KiB) Downloaded 4144 times
Last edited by AndersI on 24 May 2009 13:47, edited 12 times in total.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Just to whet the appetite of the Swedish readers, here's a preview of what I'm currently trying to draw. The side views are the easy ones...

Yes, I know Purno has drawn the 'X2000' but I want it to go in style with my other trains (and have the engine a bit shorter as in real life). It will also get the ugly, modern grey repaint job (like X40). I'll try to draw the X2 variation too (local, shorter, high speed trains, a bit different coloring).
Attachments
x2.png
x2.png (162.32 KiB) Viewed 653489 times
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I love the X2000, I however do not like the new livery... they just look hideous like that!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

stunning graphics, as i said earlier. how big will this set actually become? do you have a tracking table?

i'm sure to try it out as soon as there are some more steamers. and i have some time on my hands. :wink:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

No, I don't have an actual tracking table, I just draw what I want to have in my game :-)

What I *do* have is a file with engine data that Michael Blunck graciously sent me, which gives me an idea of what is needed for a real set.

I'm still not comfortable with steamer drawing, and all the Swedish steamers are so alike, and all black, just like so many Swedish electrics (and diesels) are all brown and all alike. It's only in the latest years that other colors have entered in the picture, so it's more fun to draw modern trains (OK, there were some private companies in the old days too, using other color schemes, so maybe I could find some more liveries to add).
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Nice graphic, but shouldn't the grey be black?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Purno wrote:shouldn't the grey be black?
Which grey? Roof or bottom?

(The doors are wrong, too. Much work still to do)
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i guess what Purno means is that the overall look of the set is a tad bit bright. then again, it surely isn't bothering, and gives the set a distinct feel, imho.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

AndersI wrote:
Purno wrote:shouldn't the grey be black?
Which grey? Roof or bottom?

(The doors are wrong, too. Much work still to do)
The side, and front. Looks black in the picture, but looks grey in your graphics.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Purno wrote:The side, and front. Looks black in the picture, but looks grey in your graphics.
Yes, you're probably right. Not black though, but darker.

As for the roof, I think I need the bright version on the X2000, as the X2 (local trains) should have a darker roof.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

AndersI wrote:I'm still not comfortable with steamer drawing
Why do you say so? For what we can see of it (it's partly covered by the flag), the steamer you drew seems not bad at all! I like the shading!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Cool!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The pantograph is wrong. It seems to be two single pantographs, not a double one, on the picture.
Image Image
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Anders, don't sell yourself short, your tank engine is gorgeous. There are always ways to differentiate steam locomotives. There are some nice looking SJ locos, I know you'll do them justice.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

[pantographs] Yes, that was a brain fart (or whatever you call it). They should of course be of the single arm type.

[steamers] What I mean is that I don't like drawing steamers - it's much too much work for engines I'm not very interested in having in my game. And they take much longer time to draw than ordinary, square, electric locos :-)

Update to the X2 (panto, darker roof, darker 'black', doors), please continue with comments and critics!
Attachments
x21.png
x21.png (768 Bytes) Viewed 59167 times
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

looks great, but I think the front is somehow wrong.
It seams wider at the bottom then at the top, where as the pic you posted is exactly the other way around.

Otherwise, great work as always.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> I think the front is somehow wrong.

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/se/ele ... snegl3.jpg

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/se/ele ... 020406.jpg

> Otherwise, great work as always.

Anders is doing a really good job.

regards
Michael
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

I remember when the X2000 came to town... and Yes, I mean Canberra, Australia. Being lugged around by an XPT on both ends... it would've never been able to show it's prowess...

Please bring this to life and show Australia what they missed out on :)
Looking great.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

The Irish wrote:I think the front is somehow wrong. It seams wider at the bottom then at the top, where as the pic you posted is exactly the other way around.
It's a combined effect of darker pixels and your brain's real world expectations. Reality isn't isometric :-)

If I lighten the pixels again, Purno will say they are too gray :D

But the front does need a bit more rounding off, however that is going to be done. We'll just have to wait and see...

Edit: Maybe like this?
Attachments
x22.png
x22.png (771 Bytes) Viewed 59134 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

AndersI, correct me if I'm wrong, but there seem to be 2 pantographs on that train, one up, and one down. I only see 1 pantograph at your graphics.

Besides that, AWESOME! :bow:
Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”