"French Trains Set - freight rolling stock needs drawing

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

"French Trains Set - freight rolling stock needs drawing

Post by The Irish »

Hi everybody.

I have started to do some sprites for French Diesel locos.
I'm not very far yet, but hey, everybody has to start somewhere.

I think Krtaylor has also thaught about starting a french set at some stage, maybe this could be it.

Here is my first sprite model. Still work in progress, so please no too hard critics :wink:

What I have tried to build:

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/fr/die ... 9/pix.html

and how it looks so far. Still some views missing. Work is progressing slow, as I have to do it outside of work, and work takes a lot of my time ATM.

Any proposals are welcome. Thanks.
Paul
Attachments
sprite 72000 v 1.JPG
sprite 72000 v 1.JPG (3.7 KiB) Viewed 50529 times
Last edited by The Irish on 17 Aug 2008 11:47, edited 4 times in total.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

that looks real good!

id be happy to help with a french set

James
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Can you save the original file (I hope you still have it) as PNG and upload that on the forums? JPG is evil since it messes up the colors.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
thompson_fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by thompson_fan »

i took a look at the picture link you posted. There's quite a collection of diesels there.

They would be good for use in any game.
Raptor
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

It's going to be quite a lot of work to get the odd angles of French locos to come out right.

There are several French trains that have already been drawn and floating around independently, e.g. the Atlantique, and I think the TGV also. You could add them to your set.

I don't know that much about French locos, but for sure they have some great ones. I can think of several you must include:

Golden Arrow
Chapelon A1
Mistral
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Great! I know quite a lot about French locomotives (diesel, electric, steam, and E/DMU's) so I might help with the data. I can't do any drawings tho :\

There were lots of nice models and it'd be cool to have them in a set. I know there are lots of 3d models drawn for MS Train Simulator around, they might be used as templates.

If we can find people who draw and code, we could make an Italian set also. I know a lot about Italian locos and railcars too, and I'd be happy to provide data and stuff. There were many cool electric locos in Italy (including the original Pendolino) which would be nice to use in TTD.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Hey, hey, one new set at a time!

Why don't you start by making a list of proposed French locos, and rounding up pictures and stats for them.

Do you know HTML at all?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

krtaylor wrote:Do you know HTML at all?
I know html ( and I like javascript too krtaylor :D ) and I am bilingual French/English so call if you need me :D
references here
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

OK! Well, the point was that if someone wants to, they are more than welcome to use my HTML tables and templates that I've used for tracking projects. They're not that complicated anyway. But I've found you've got to have everything neatly in one place, where you can collect all the sprites, show what's been done, and what needs to be done. I'm not sure I want to take on managing yet another set, though I'll be glad to advise.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

krtaylor wrote:OK! Well, the point was that if someone wants to, they are more than welcome to use my HTML tables and templates that I've used for tracking projects. They're not that complicated anyway. But I've found you've got to have everything neatly in one place, where you can collect all the sprites, show what's been done, and what needs to be done. I'm not sure I want to take on managing yet another set, though I'll be glad to advise.
I'm not a coder or an artist, but If its a matter of tracking what's been done and what needs to be done, I can do that and if you have tables and templates ready to go, that's even better. It also ensures consistency across all the tracking being done on all the sets. What I can't promise at the moment is server space. My web site is a free host from my ISP and space and bandwidth are limited to say the least. Communication is not an issue. I'm on DSL and with my gmail account, lots of room for graphics. Plenty of room on my hardrives for backups too. So my offer stands ... If someone starts the set(s) and there is some decent server access available, I'll be glad to manage the logistics. :)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, I've got plenty of room but I don't think I can set up another restricted FTP account. I bet Owen would give you some space though. If you ask him for some, and get the codes, I can log into it and set up my templates for you, with some samples; then you can take it from there.

At the very least, if we have tables showing the proposed trains, photos, data, etc., and a few sprites already drawn, it will attract interested artists. That's how the Japanset came back to life - it sat for a long while with everything ready but no artists, then Sanchimaru and Raven decided to join in and draw, and it is now almost finished.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Sounds like a plan. The Irish started this thread and appears to have some sprites. Lets hear from him and his intentions. :)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Probably you'd better PM him.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

krtaylor wrote:Probably you'd better PM him.
Done
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I know somewhere around are other French trains, like I mentioned before. I bet the Dutch team would know something about that.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Nice, it really sounds like there's a lot of interest around this set. I could help with models and data of locomotives and carriages. I might also start a first list of proposed vehicles if you like.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Wasn't hovering teacup working on that too?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Sanchimaru wrote:Wasn't hovering teacup working on that too?
Just did a search on his name ... returned 112 hits but no similar topics. Definitely if he has already expressed an interest it would be good to hear from him.

To everybody who has posted an interest in contributing ... stay tuned ... if you haven't posted yet, please do so ... there's strength in numbers ... this is looking good ... just need to hear back from The Irish
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Hi all,
I'm attempting to collect some data about French engines and cars. I've done the locomotives part so far (steam, diesel and electric) and I'll be able to complete the EMU / DMU list hopefully in the next days, then I'll post it here. There are lots of candidates! :)
What's the required info? I could find data for max speed, power, weight and length (TE is much harder to find, let alone a realistic price). Hope designers don't need technical drawings of each and every model, because they'd be very hard to find.

What's the maximum number of engines the set should have?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Engines plus wagons, you have 116 total.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “Graphics Development”