To what cpu i should change to witness difference in performance in opentdd

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GrandSeverus
Engineer
Engineer

To what cpu i should change to witness difference in performance in opentdd

Post by GrandSeverus »

Hi all,
So i recently upgraded my 4460 to 4790.
I notice a difference in games but I wonder if will I notice the difference in opentdd it is an old game.
Older games usually utilize mostly one or two cores max.
Cheers,
kamnet

Re: To what cpu i should change to witness difference in performance in opentdd

Post by kamnet »

OpenTTD does almost everything through one core. Some processes will use additional cores if they're available, but it's largely not a multi-core game. It also doesn't use any modern GPU rendering.

So use whatever processor you want. Most of the last 15 years I've played on an Intel Q6600 and hosted multiplayer games on it. But the absolute fastest is probably an Apple M1/M2/M3 Silicon processor.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

GrandSeverus wrote: 05 Apr 2024 16:27 Hi all,
So i recently upgraded my 4460 to 4790.
I notice a difference in games but I wonder if will I notice the difference in opentdd it is an old game.
Older games usually utilize mostly one or two cores max.
Cheers,
You basically, for optimum performance, want a processor with the highest single thread performance. To my knowledge a processor with more than 2 cores (or threads) is useless to OpenTTD, although it will run smoother due to Windows (or your other OS) assigning other tasks to different threads (..you hope) whilst OpenTTD hammers its own little thread to itself. But at the most basic level, a processor with a high single thread performance will be better than others in OpenTTD.

The current highest performing thread CPU is handily tracked by PassMark here, the current winner is an i9-14900KS. With Apple M3's next.
I run on a i9-12900K from a few years ago, and I can get a lot of vehicles in a game before the performance drops below 1x speed.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Redirect Left wrote: 06 Apr 2024 03:29To my knowledge a processor with more than 2 cores (or threads) is useless to OpenTTD
that isn't quite true. for example things like cargodist make heavy use of secondary threads.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

FWIW, OTTD runs great on my 8 years old i7-6700K (Skylake) @ 4 GHz. When I bought a new 43" 4K screen 3 years ago, I had to upgrade from the integrated GPU to a basic Radeon RX 6400 card, as the integrated GPU refused to work at more than 30 Hz on the new screen (and clipping badly at that). This setup can give me a full view of an entire 512x512 world, albeit cut off at the extreme western and eastern corners. Currently I'm running a game with 400 RVs and 113 ships in the new 14.0-RC3, everything going smoothly.

But of course it may help to run a decent operating system :mrgreen:
Screenshot_20240408_130130.png
Screenshot_20240408_130130.png (65.12 KiB) Viewed 1198 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”