Nitpicking colour scheme

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Nitpicking colour scheme

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Yeah, as said in the title, I am well aware this is just me being nitpicky. But still!

General colour scheme is very good, I have no complaints about it. This post is particularly and very specifically about the RED shade for your representative colour as tycoon. Why is it such an outrageous, makes-me-want-to-gouge-out-my-eyes hue?! X(
I don't understand why is it like this. There are other fine reds in the game. The tubular bridge? Made up of serveral shades of matte red and all of them comfortable. But I cannot play having red as my colour while feeling my eyes bleed with all my stations names being in red background. So, my suggestion would be, PLEASE can you change that horrible red to some other?

I'd also appreciate if black was optional as well, but I surmise it would need white font then? I don't know how much work that could entail, so don't want to be too greedy. But it would be nice be able to be black! Or even an orange that's actually orange and not a thicker hue of yellow. How about a second pink that's not pastel but more magenta or fuchsia? If more colours cannot be added, then even replacing one of the blues or greens would be acceptable, since there are three of them.
kamnet

Re: Nitpicking colour scheme

Post by kamnet »

You might want to give the NewCC NewGRF a try. This can be loaded into any NewGRF preset, or you can load it as a static NewGRF in your openttd.cfg file. The source code is also available, so if these colors don't suit you, you can modify it to swap in your own colors that you prefer. Best part is that this only affects how you see company colors in the game on your end. You can use this with multiplayer and it doesn't affect anyone else.
TheDarkGiganotosaur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDarkGiganotosaur »

Sorry for poking my nose in, but... although I still like the original colors, some extra colors wouldn't hurt anyone.

Speaking of NewCC NewGRF, I once gave that one in particular a try, but it was a tiny bit confusing because the color names obviously didn't match the new colors it was presented, but I digress. Additionally, this kind of workaround may not be satisfactory enough (because I was hoping that the original colors were preserved and the new ones added along), but that's just my humble opinion.

By the way, how's the progress of this pull request coming along? It seems to have been stalled for so long... and it was kinda promising, too. I may be very wrong, but wasn't this supposed to be a new feature for the upcoming 14.0?
The Dark Giganotosaur, the ghastly dinosaur (currently in human form)
"My favorite type of transport vehicles? Trains and streetcars/trams." | My Music | My Arts (TBA)
Windows 10 x64 (NEVER USED) | Knoppix 8.1+ x64 | Linux Mint 20.3 Xfce x64
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Those shortcomings of the NewCC set are because of limitations of what NewGRFs can do. They can't change default strings so the colour names are wrong, and they can only replace default recolour sprites, not add new ones.

But as for that patch being worked on by one of the OpenTTD devs that would offer full RGB company colour selection. It won't be in 14.0 but with any luck that'll make it into the game at some point :)
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
TheDarkGiganotosaur wrote: 21 Mar 2024 07:21 By the way, how's the progress of this pull request coming along? It seems to have been stalled for so long...
OpenTTD-11634-latest-commits-2024-03-21.png
OpenTTD-11634-latest-commits-2024-03-21.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Is "stalled for so long" really matching? Currently (2024-03-21) the PR-page says "PeterN and others added 15 commits last month". For me that's not "stalled for so long".

Because OpenTTD 14 is in the stage of release candidates, what means that there was a feature freeze with RC1, we shouldn't assume this feature to be part of OpenTTD 14.0, even it was merged to the main branch until then.

Tschö, Auge
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

kamnet wrote: 20 Mar 2024 23:37 You might want to give the NewCC NewGRF a try. This can be loaded into any NewGRF preset, or you can load it as a static NewGRF in your openttd.cfg file. The source code is also available, so if these colors don't suit you, you can modify it to swap in your own colors that you prefer. Best part is that this only affects how you see company colors in the game on your end. You can use this with multiplayer and it doesn't affect anyone else.
Oh, thank you! :D

I downloaded it and took a look at it. The palette didn't convince me (neither the classic one nor the two-toned newer version), since I don't want to change ALL the colours, only a few. But still this is a nice thing to work over, so I'll try to get to it. It showed a nicer shade of red available, though not replacing the original gaudy one but another colour that I had no problem with, so I wonder if replacements could possibly be relocated or are they fixed?

There's also black, which yay! But needs relocation as well. Improved orange, being more orange-y. Brown being browner is a change I didn't think about but it's appreciated as well. No second pink, but I can live without XD. I am not particularly bothered by the mismatching names.
TheDarkGiganotosaur wrote: 21 Mar 2024 07:21 Sorry for poking my nose in, but... although I still like the original colors, some extra colors wouldn't hurt anyone.

Speaking of NewCC NewGRF, I once gave that one in particular a try, but it was a tiny bit confusing because the color names obviously didn't match the new colors it was presented, but I digress. Additionally, this kind of workaround may not be satisfactory enough (because I was hoping that the original colors were preserved and the new ones added along), but that's just my humble opinion.

By the way, how's the progress of this pull request coming along? It seems to have been stalled for so long... and it was kinda promising, too. I may be very wrong, but wasn't this supposed to be a new feature for the upcoming 14.0?
You can poke your nose all you want! :lol: Specially since I agree that more available colours is always a welcome addition.
Last edited by CazadorSirenas on 21 Mar 2024 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
TheDarkGiganotosaur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDarkGiganotosaur »

Emperor Jake wrote: 21 Mar 2024 11:31 Those shortcomings of the NewCC set are because of limitations of what NewGRFs can do. They can't change default strings so the colour names are wrong, and they can only replace default recolour sprites, not add new ones.
I know it's not something that a NewGRF can accomplish with nor I was implying that NewGRFs can do everything... and I used the "I digress" word for a reason--it wasn't meant to be taken way too seriously. Image
Emperor Jake wrote: 21 Mar 2024 11:31But as for that patch being worked on by one of the OpenTTD devs that would offer full RGB company colour selection. It won't be in 14.0 but with any luck that'll make it into the game at some point :)
We can only hope. To me, OpenTTD just keeps getting better and better... and as for the new features being added from time to time, the more the merrier. Image
Auge wrote: 21 Mar 2024 11:38 Is "stalled for so long" really matching? Currently (2024-03-21) the PR-page says "PeterN and others added 15 commits last month". For me that's not "stalled for so long".

Because OpenTTD 14 is in the stage of release candidates, what means that there was a feature freeze with RC1, we shouldn't assume this feature to be part of OpenTTD 14.0, even it was merged to the main branch until then.
Ah, OK. I missed that one... I was only checking the comments (the last one was from 2023-12-29)--should've paid more attention to the rest. Disregard what I said earlier then. Image
CazadorSirenas wrote: 21 Mar 2024 17:42 You can poke your nose all you want! :lol: Specially since I agree that more available colours is always a welcome addition.
Thank you! Image
The Dark Giganotosaur, the ghastly dinosaur (currently in human form)
"My favorite type of transport vehicles? Trains and streetcars/trams." | My Music | My Arts (TBA)
Windows 10 x64 (NEVER USED) | Knoppix 8.1+ x64 | Linux Mint 20.3 Xfce x64

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”