Will it take much longer for 14.0 to be released?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GrandSeverus
Engineer
Engineer

Will it take much longer for 14.0 to be released?

Post by GrandSeverus »

Since version 14.RC1 was released in February, will it take much longer for stable version 14.0 to be released?

I wonder, if should i wait for version 14? Version 14.0 has many improvements i am interested in.
I am still playing on version 12.+ since i prefer it to version 13. Mostly because changes to budget screen and ui.
Thanks for the info,
Cheers
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Will it take much longer for 14.0 to be released?

Post by _dp_ »

A lot of major OpenTTD releases were made on April 1st and this one quite likely isn't going to be an exception.
GrandSeverus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GrandSeverus »

_dp_ wrote: 06 Mar 2024 19:56 A lot of major OpenTTD releases were made on April 1st and this one quite likely isn't going to be an exception.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers,
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Version 14 has been delayed, I believe due to this investigation being ongoing, although I've not seen that confirmed from a developer yet
Jon
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

wild speculations going wild.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It's not "wild" or speculation when everybody who is watching can see this daily for the past week:
openttd-deployments[bot] (via GitHub) wrote: OpenTTD/OpenTTD - Release workflow was not successful
We know it's being worked on, we know it's going to get resolved. There's no way to know when it's going to get resolved until it does. It is what it is.
TheDarkGiganotosaur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDarkGiganotosaur »

Patience is a virtue, people. While the XZ's issue's investigation/resolution is underway, this is de facto a good opportunity to keep "hunting" for more bugs and "polishing" OpenTTD 14 even further.

Everyone should take comfort that the stable version of OpenTTD 14 will be available ONLY when it IS done... and NOT before. Therefore, please refrain from bugging the developers--they have lives and real-life issues just as we do. Besides, as peter1138 clearly stated here, there was never a promised release date. Until then, keep using the RC3 or the last nightly versions.

Would you prefer a delayed but bug-free release? Or would you prefer a rushed but bug-fest release instead? Just asking.
The Dark Giganotosaur, the ghastly dinosaur (currently in human form)
"My favorite type of transport vehicles? Trains and streetcars/trams." | My Music | My Arts (TBA)
Windows 10 x64 (NEVER USED) | Knoppix 8.1+ x64 | Linux Mint 20.3 Xfce x64
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

As far as I understand, the OpenTTD build pipeline is completely broken at the moment. There won't be any new release candidates, not even a nightly build. So no, don't expect this delay to turn into better quality / more fixed bugs.
kamnet wrote: 02 Apr 2024 21:34 Right now, access to all liblzma versions is locked (also old ones), so OpenTTD cannot be compiled/released.
TheDarkGiganotosaur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDarkGiganotosaur »

True, but as for "more fixed bugs" part, according to kamnet's post on Reddit (and looking at few recent issues/pulls)...
Unfortunately due to the xz ultilities backdoor that has exposed many computer systems around the globe, OpenTTD 14 is indefinitely delayed. As soon as the issue is patched and it's accepted by the major OS vendors, the devs will work on getting it shipped out.

Until then, continue testing the 14.0-RC3 release and reporting any bugs over on Github. The more people we have playing it, the more perfect we can help make it!
...I believe it's quite self-explanatory, meaning that there's a big chance that the bugs get fixed before OpenTTD 14's out... unless I'm missing something.
The Dark Giganotosaur, the ghastly dinosaur (currently in human form)
"My favorite type of transport vehicles? Trains and streetcars/trams." | My Music | My Arts (TBA)
Windows 10 x64 (NEVER USED) | Knoppix 8.1+ x64 | Linux Mint 20.3 Xfce x64
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Yes, if you find bugs in RC3, report them, and then an RC4 will probably be put out for further testing, unless the bugs are so minor the devs don't think another RC is required.

There IS going to be an OpenTTD 14. Just not yet.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

odisseus wrote: 06 Apr 2024 16:13 As far as I understand, the OpenTTD build pipeline is completely broken at the moment. There won't be any new release candidates, not even a nightly build. So no, don't expect this delay to turn into better quality / more fixed bugs.
You misunderstand, only the release workflows are stuck at the moment. Changes and fixes are still being made as normal.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
AntoninKyrene
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AntoninKyrene »

Will v14 be held until 1) GitHub claims the issue is resolved AND 2) we let others prove it's safe by allowing them to move forward to see what happens to them? I'm all about letting others prove things work or don't work first before committing to 'fixed' software...
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan

Return to “General OpenTTD”