Train path finding to station with path finding penalties

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Big Broter
Engineer
Engineer

Train path finding to station with path finding penalties

Post by Big Broter »

Hello,
I built some stations (one example in the picture) with path finding penalties to organise the trains and have better flow. The thing happening at the moment, is that the trains won't go to a free station, when there are too many penalties (in the picture the far right one). How can i fix this? I want the trains to go to the most left station available. The basic design shouln't change too much yet, as this is still the beggining and routes are established before I want to refine station designs.
Attachments
TTDq.PNG
(411.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Re: Train path finding to station with path finding penalties

Post by kamnet »

Uploading a save might be more beneficial, but from what I can see in the screenshot it looks like it is working correctly. You have the train on the far-left platform coming in, the platform next to it has been reserved by the train coming in from the bottom-right, and then the platform after that has been reserved by the train coming out of the depot.
Big Broter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Big Broter »

It indeed works most of the time. Here is a picture where it doesn't work and causes jams.
Save game is attached. Mainly a problem at station "Sonnenfurt Waldrand"
Attachments
ttdnt.PNG
(523.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Small problem.sav
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I watched at this point and I couldn't find any instances of this track layout jamming. However, after several minutes I did find where all the trains were stopped in the station waiting to load cargo. Your other platform to the north was also jammed, and the line was backed up all the way to this point, where you have one track intersection with all the lights coming into each other with no way for a train to escape.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 6f37c2ef85&

So I fixed some of the signalling here and added a second piece of track for trains to move bilaterally.

You've also got several jams stemming from places where you have two parallel tracks and you've put signals at both ends, which is allowing for two trains in one direction to fill up and then get blocked by an oncoming trains, like here:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 1e6191024c&

It is best to make these one way in each direction, and also do NOT put signals before the split or merge here. ONLY put signals where you want trains to stop safely.

Here's a save where I fixed the first. You should be able to easily fix the other places where jams are taking place.
Attachments
Tussen Trupp Transport (TTT), 1948-06-27.sav
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 28 times

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”