Linux

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

tomsie
Engineer
Engineer

Linux

Post by tomsie »

I'm curious to know why the latest version(13.4) is not available for linux, you can download iit for linux but theres no way to run the game in linux
kamnet

Re: Linux

Post by kamnet »

There's lots of players on Linux, nobody's reported any widespread issue.

What specific issues are you encountering?
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

I'm running Debian Sid, and it's got v13.4 packaged in the repositories.

Which 'flavour' of Linux are you using?
When you say you downloaded it, where from? The OpenTTD website (www.openttd.org)?
Have you extracted the files?
Have you then run the `openttd` file (double-clicking from the file manager, it should ask you to execute it if it doesn't automatically run it)?
Have you tried opening a terminal/console window and running it from there to see if you're getting any error messages?
tomsie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tomsie »

I downloaded the game & then have been unable to open/run the game
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

tomsie wrote: 16 Jan 2024 11:40 I downloaded the game & then have been unable to open/run the game
Immediately before I made my previous post, I went to the OpenTTD website and downloaded the 13.4 stable Linux tar.xz, extracted it and ran it by double clicking on the 'openttd' file that was in the folder created, to confirm that I could re-produce as best as possible the issue you are reporting. It loaded for me, which means the steps I've taken are different in some way to the ones you have, but without you providing more information about where you got OpenTTD from and what you did after downloading it, it's not possible for me (or anyone else, for that matter) to replicate the issue you're experiencing.

If you are new, or relatively new, to Linux, you have that learning curve as an additional challenge to getting OpenTTD running, because Linux does some things differently to how Windows does.

kamnet & I are both asking you to provide more detail, so that we can hopefully identify what the issue is that you are experiencing - we're not looking to 'apportion blame', we're trying to help but are needing more information.
All you have done with this 2nd post is, essentially, re-state what you said in your 1st post, without adding any more detail, which doesn't help you to get the issue resolved nor us to help you resolve it.

Return to “General OpenTTD”