train signals

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jgf
Engineer
Engineer

train signals

Post by jgf »

I notice there are now just two signals, semaphore and electric, with two options each. I cannot get either to work.

A simple route with a station at each end and a passing loop in the middle, only one train running ...it will not pass any signal no matter how I tweak them them (they all stay red). If the train gets into a depot it refuses to leave, citing "waiting for path".

What am I doing wrong?
Tsylatac
Engineer
Engineer

Re: train signals

Post by Tsylatac »

Rumors of block/pre-signals' death have been greatly exaggerated. There's an easy-to-miss maximize button on the signal window now that brings them back, or you can change the "show signal types" setting from "path signals only" to "all signals."

As to your setup, the only problem I can think of is if you've used one-way path signals. I'm at a loss if that's not it. Maybe a screenshot or save would help?
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

" if you've used one-way path signals"

I think that's all that is shown.

I used a ro-ro station at each end with a passing loop midway between them; basic setup for two trains running one circuit, but can easily add a third if necessary. But even with just the one train on the track once I added the signals it just ran back and forth between two of them, and all signals were red even though only one train was on the track.

Read that link, will investigate further.
Tsylatac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tsylatac »

Ah, it sounds like maybe you're just used to how block signals work. (It doesn't help that regular path signals look a lot like one-way block signals.)

In the signal window there are separate "path signal" and "one-way path signal" buttons - the one-way is the one with a little sign on the pole under the signal head.

Regular path signals can't be "two-way" the way block signals can, where you'd have two signal masts on the same tile, one for each direction. Instead, a train approaching the back of a regular path signal just ignores it. (One-way path signals are, well, one-way only - trains can't pass those from the back side. Imagine there's an invisible but permanently red signal on the rear.)

As for path signals always showing red, that's by design, since they don't work like block signals do. All a block signal cares about is whether the block it's protecting is occupied - it neither knows nor cares about approaching trains or where they're headed. On the other hand, a path signal doesn't know what path it needs to approve until a train approaches it to reserve that path. (Thankfully, this doesn't slow/stop the approaching train as long as there's a clear path to reserve - it's just a bit ugly. What I do is save path signals for junctions and still use block signals on regular stretches of track.)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If you still haven't resolved it, upload a save and somebody can take a look at your setup directly and advise you on how to resolve it.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

jgf wrote: 14 Nov 2023 20:18 I used a ro-ro station at each end with a passing loop midway between them; basic setup for two trains running one circuit, but can easily add a third if necessary. But even with just the one train on the track once I added the signals it just ran back and forth between two of them, and all signals were red even though only one train was on the track.
Ro-ro stations just don't work well on single-track lines. If the trains are allowed to reverse on stations (which is the default setting), nothing prevents the train from leaving the platform on the same side as it entered.

However, with just three trains, you don't even need a ro-ro station — just one passing loop and a total of two signals.
passing-loop.gif
passing-loop.gif (8.56 MiB) Viewed 2342 times
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

odisseus wrote: 15 Nov 2023 13:37 ...

Ro-ro stations just don't work well on single-track lines. If the trains are allowed to reverse on stations (which is the default setting), nothing prevents the train from leaving the platform on the same side as it entered.

However, with just three trains, you don't even need a ro-ro station — just one passing loop and a total of two signals.

And when the route becomes lucrative and I want to add a fourth ...or fifth? ... or sixth? train? Am currently sticking with my previous version as I can easily create such layouts there (and I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to adapt this new system to my standard layout of a main line - two parallel one way tracks - running the length of the map, with loops branching off to serve various industries/towns).

"nothing prevents the train from leaving the platform on the same side as it entered"
If the signals are one-way a train can only enter/leave a station in one direction, that's what confuses me about the situation.
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

kamnet wrote: 15 Nov 2023 08:12 If you still haven't resolved it, upload a save and somebody can take a look at your setup directly and advise you on how to resolve it.
Will start a small map with default vehicles, make one of my "normal" routes, and do so. Thanks.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

jgf wrote: 25 Nov 2023 15:48 And when the route becomes lucrative and I want to add a fourth ...or fifth? ... or sixth? train?
As you add more trains into the circuit, you will have to build more passing loops and more platforms. (This is true regardless of your choice of signals and station layouts.) Eventually you shall connect adjacent loops to create a continuous stretch of double track.
jgf wrote: 25 Nov 2023 15:48 ...my standard layout of a main line - two parallel one way tracks - running the length of the map, with loops branching off to serve various industries/towns.
That sounds needlessly complicated. If you already have two parallel tracks, why not turn it into a double-track system?
jgf wrote: 25 Nov 2023 15:48 If the signals are one-way a train can only enter/leave a station in one direction
Not when there's a two-way section adjacent to the station.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

To me, two parallel one-way tracks sounds like exactly the same most people mean when they talk about a two-track line.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

odisseus wrote: 15 Nov 2023 13:37However, with just three trains, you don't even need a ro-ro station — just one passing loop and a total of two signals.
while that technically "works", it's very inefficent. the third train doesn't actually help you move more cargo, because there is a lot of waiting involved. with 3 trains, you should have 2 passing loops (about equally spaced) to reduce the wating times.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Yes, the more passing loops, the better. For the best throughput, one should build continuous double track all the way. However, my intent was to show an absolute minimum system that can support three trains without running into a deadlock.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”