How Do I Stop Industries From Randomly Closing Down

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TehAngryBird345
Engineer
Engineer

How Do I Stop Industries From Randomly Closing Down

Post by TehAngryBird345 »

I’ve noticed that a ton of industries that I have stations at are randomly going out of business from supply chain issues. Is there a way to disable this feature because I find it very annoying?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How Do I Stop Industries From Randomly Closing Down

Post by Emperor Jake »

Looks like you accidentally posted twice :wink:

The setting you want is Environment > Industries > Economy type: Frozen
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

In the original game design (Transport Tycoon), the idea is that primary industries (mines, farms, etc) need you to transport enough of their production to keep them from dropping production to zero and be forced to close, while secondary industries (factories etc) need you to deliver cargo often enough that they have something to do. The secondary industries have a 5 year grace period from construction until they can even consider shutting down due to inactivity.
But also, when industries shut down, usually a new one will be constructed instead, after a while.
You can't completely guard against an industry you're in the process of building a route to shutting down, but if you build your routes relatively fast after deciding on where to build, it's not going to happen all that often.
TehAngryBird345
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TehAngryBird345 »

Emperor Jake wrote: 13 Oct 2023 16:27 Looks like you accidentally posted twice :wink:

The setting you want is Environment > Industries > Economy type: Frozen
Alright, what does the setting do to the production changes?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It does nothing. All it does is prevent new industries from opening and existing industries from closing.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

TehAngryBird345 wrote: 15 Oct 2023 03:57 Alright, what does the setting do to the production changes?
It says in the game: "frozen economy stops production changes and industry closures"
Teshi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Teshi »

jfs wrote: 14 Oct 2023 11:51 In the original game design (Transport Tycoon), the idea is that primary industries (mines, farms, etc) need you to transport enough of their production to keep them from dropping production to zero and be forced to close, while secondary industries (factories etc) need you to deliver cargo often enough that they have something to do. The secondary industries have a 5 year grace period from construction until they can even consider shutting down due to inactivity.
But also, when industries shut down, usually a new one will be constructed instead, after a while.
You can't completely guard against an industry you're in the process of building a route to shutting down, but if you build your routes relatively fast after deciding on where to build, it's not going to happen all that often.
Adding to this: I build stations at primary (producing) industries and target secondary industries before connecting the two together. I then immediately buy a train, give it orders and start loading before finishing the track connection. Make sure you select "full load" to ensure your train sits at the station loading. Typically, by the time your train is full and ready to leave, you will have finished the line so the train can deliver as fast as possible. You can even build from the production industry end ahead of the moving train, if you're quick. This will speed up that first delivery and stave off all but the most poorly-timed industry shutdown.

Then keep an eye on industries. I imagine someone knows what the magic number is, but if the percentage of goods transported drops below 50%-60%, not only are you leaving money on the table, you're going to risk an industry shutdown. Typically, two shorter trains is more efficient than one longer train going back and forth--although on a short route, a shorter train will not leave the primary industry station unattended for long.

More frequent trains to an industry station drives better production. Stations at producing industries with no loading trains in them actively "lose" cargo that could be transported, but isn't. In addition to mounting undelivered cargo, that will contribute to a low transport percentage.

A perfectly efficient station will have trains instantly beginning loading the moment a previously loading train finishes loading and prepares to leave, i.e. already in the platform. However, early on, this will be too expensive as productivity will be too low. Build stations with increased capacity in mind, whatever design strategies that means for you.

You can spot an unhealthy industry by checking its production. An industry producing a very low number of goods (esp. 18 or less) is about to collapse.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”