Deprecated(?) NewGRFs on BaNaNaS

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

NightOwlO
Engineer
Engineer

Deprecated(?) NewGRFs on BaNaNaS

Post by NightOwlO »

This is not a game-breaking, world ending problem that must be resolved right now or else everything explodes(!!!), but...

I was just browsing through my local friendly BaNaNaS NewGRF outlet, and I noticed that there are some (totally not scuffed) entries in the list for what appear to be obsolete/deprecated NewGRFs (pic attached to this post).
They seem to have been renamed from whatever their original titles were to "ZZ-IGNORE_PLZ" (the irony of this post is not lost on me...)

I realise that these changes may have been intended to not break existing games/installations using the old NewGRFs, but surely there's got to be a better way, right?
Attachments
OpenTTD_Derpy_NewGRF_Listing.png
OpenTTD_Derpy_NewGRF_Listing.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
kamnet

Re: Deprecated(?) NewGRFs on BaNaNaS

Post by kamnet »

Yes, there are some slightly better ways, but still kinda ugly.

The preferred way to stop these from showing up is for the author to go into the listing and set the "Max OpenTTD Version" that their asset is compatible with to "0". Since there is no OpenTTD version 0.00, then it becomes invisible to any other OpenTTD client.

The devs are working towards some improvements in the future, which will include a curator role that would allow select individuals to make modifications to listings, especially for authors who are no longer participating in OpenTTD development.
lugo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lugo »

Curated lists would be awesome. I'd enjoy not always picking the same NewGRFs, but it is really time consuming to look into each and every NewGRF bananas has to offer only to find out it is not working properly/unfinished or just has a different style not fitting the other chosen GRFs.
I think there's a lot of double work to be safed here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I won't rehash those issues, there's already a couple of topics dedicated to complaining about it or potential fixes that will likely not be carried out by those who proposed them.

I will suggest that it might be better to look for content through your web browser, starting with https://bananas.openttd.org/ . There you can take your time to look through stuff, and if the author has done their job and provided documentation or links to a project website or forum, find out more info and make sure it's what you want to use.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Ah, Silversurfer's graphics aren't so much outdated as... I don't know, I'd rather not comment, I'm sure everyone remembers what happened here. :wink:
I know it's them because I have a check mark and info "you already have this"
Revenge_of_KioTheDev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Revenge_of_KioTheDev »

Argus wrote: 22 Aug 2023 21:35 Ah, Silversurfer's graphics aren't so much outdated as... I don't know, I'd rather not comment, I'm sure everyone remembers what happened here. :wink:
I know it's them because I have a check mark and info "you already have this"
i not understand who is silver surfer? you mean comic character?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Former forum member and author of those renamed graphics, it's been a while. However, some people may still have these graphics in games, so it's not removed.
For example, this one in the screenshot.
He argued with people here, deleted his account, and then renamed the graphic that way because he couldn't delete it. He renamed them because the latest versions deliberately turn off the graphics of other people he's had a argue with, so no one knows which version is still OK.
Attachments
Green & Co., 6. čnc 1955.png
(267.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Revenge_of_KioTheDev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Revenge_of_KioTheDev »

Argus wrote: 16 Sep 2023 10:52 Former forum member and author of those renamed graphics, it's been a while. However, some people may still have these graphics in games, so it's not removed.
For example, this one in the screenshot.
He argued with people here, deleted his account, and then renamed the graphic that way because he couldn't delete it. He renamed them because the latest versions deliberately turn off the graphics of other people he's had a argue with, so no one knows which version is still OK.
ok

but i check newgrfs in first poster post and they not made by silver surfer? it say they all gpl v2 and source links still work for google drive
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

He apparently deleted his signature, as well as all the posts here. I wouldn't deal with it, their deletion would simply make the games of some players inaccessible if, for example, they changed computers. He may be keeping resources to himself.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I'm looking now and apparently they at least hid them I don't see what your point is when I clearly say that deleting them will harm the player. They are no longer visible, at least not in game content. :)
Or, it may be related to this
viewtopic.php?p=1265567#p1265567

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”