OpenGFX2

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenGFX2

Post by Zephyris »

Rapha_493 wrote: 18 Nov 2023 19:13 Wanted to ask: would there be any OpenGFX+ equivalent to OpenGFX2?
With what features?
Rapha_493
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rapha_493 »

Zephyris wrote: 19 Nov 2023 18:34
Rapha_493 wrote: 18 Nov 2023 19:13 Wanted to ask: would there be any OpenGFX+ equivalent to OpenGFX2?
With what features?
Industries and Airports mainly. Those are the most important.
I want to say that i would love to see a generic tram set equivalent.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Hi Zephyris,

Any change to release 0.5 soon?
So many commits since 0.4, would love to try them out :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Yeah, I think an 0.5 will come soon. My priority has been to get the 1x/Classic version done.

First is getting all sprites revisited at 1x. That's now essentially complete - it's just the train signals left to go. I also want to nail as many bugs as possible, and I think that's mostly done.

I also wanted to get GUI done to at least 2x. My suspicion was that a large chunk of people use the GUI at 2x, and the vast majority at <4x. That's borne out by the new survey results (https://97ff69aa.openttd-survey-web.pag ... .gui_scale): Of the 53.7% which aren't using auto-scaling, 65.4% use 1.00-1.75x and 34.3% use 2.00-3.75x. 0.2% use 4x or higher.

That included the getting the 2x and 4x sprite fonts made - which is why I've been messing around with TTFs (https://github.com/zephyris/openttd-ttf).

I think that's all done... So 0.5 very soon!
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Zephyris wrote: 16 Jan 2024 13:05 Yeah, I think an 0.5 will come soon. My priority has been to get the 1x/Classic version done.

First is getting all sprites revisited at 1x. That's now essentially complete - it's just the train signals left to go. I also want to nail as many bugs as possible, and I think that's mostly done.

I also wanted to get GUI done to at least 2x. My suspicion was that a large chunk of people use the GUI at 2x, and the vast majority at <4x. That's borne out by the new survey results (https://97ff69aa.openttd-survey-web.pag ... .gui_scale): Of the 53.7% which aren't using auto-scaling, 65.4% use 1.00-1.75x and 34.3% use 2.00-3.75x. 0.2% use 4x or higher.

That included the getting the 2x and 4x sprite fonts made - which is why I've been messing around with TTFs (https://github.com/zephyris/openttd-ttf).

I think that's all done... So 0.5 very soon!
Awesome work :)
nihues
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nihues »

Wow nice Fonts! Using now!

BTW my settings with a 4k 55' OLED TV are 4x Interface size + bigger main toolbar + Cursor/Gui Replacer with both checked on settings (+1.5x toolbar). That way toolbar and icons work without borders (some interface size icons get too small with half size only borders.

Could use a little less Interface Size, but it gives border on icons... so I keep on 4x. Windows at 275% scale... I play ~2m away so I need a little bigger screen.

Fonts are all sharp, ogfx2 too!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I'm not sure what all of that means! Can you post a screenshot and a list of gui grfs?
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

Man, how much I want 1.5x GUI but 1x for text. I really should look into how UI scale works in 13.
I am Limyx826.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Oh, 0.5 is out BTW. With a bunch of fixes:

Base set:
All GUI icons at 1x and 2x zoom, with some at 4x.
Improved cursors, all at 1x and 2x zoom.
Additional cursor styles.
Build sprite font from TTFs, for full sprite font at 2x and 4x zoom.
TTD-style custom monospaced sprite font, from TTF.
Extended sprite font range to also cover Cyrillic and Greek alphabets.
Prototype/first 4x rail vehicle sprites.
Various additional bug fixes, including:
Fix bridge colour, recolour and leg glitches.
Fix/tweak town tree graphics.
Fix Various rock and slope shading glitches.

NewGRFs:
New standalone objects NewGRF, with fields, forests, rocks and building objects.
Fix tree NewGRF to also replace cacti and palm trees.
Dennis007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dennis007 »

Zephyris wrote: 16 Feb 2024 14:20 Oh, 0.5 is out BTW. With a bunch of fixes:
Nice! Thats a reason to install OpenTTD again :)

There are still pixelated buildings and vehicles.

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Yup, still lots to draw...
le_harv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by le_harv »

I am not sure I realised just how muted the original and venerable OpenGFX graphics were until I started using this vibrant set. The colours really pop and its renewed my interest in the game! (Also kudos for the very understated release of the 'Full English' set).

I still play in the original zoom settings so that all my graphics look the same... for now. I had a couple of small observations to share.
  • Would it be possible to have a parameter that allows the player to use the original water graphics? I do like the new water it's just my favourite objects sets still use the older style.
  • Is the problem in the gif below to do with OpenGFX2, road/rail set or the vehicle sets I am using? See how it flickers as it drives through the back of the tunnel.
    tunnelflicker.gif
    tunnelflicker.gif (137.83 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
  • This is more of a wishlist thought... but the image below got me thinking... what about an object set that contains tiles like this? Possibly some additional black textured tiles (thinking of eye candy open cast mines). I have started poking around with NML so maybe I could give it a crack using the graphics from your github myself.
    prevew2.png
    prevew2.png (143.62 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
Anyway, thanks for the great work on keeping the game popping.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

le_harv wrote: 20 Mar 2024 00:16 Is the problem in the gif below to do with OpenGFX2, road/rail set or the vehicle sets I am using? See how it flickers as it drives through the back of the tunnel.
It's a problem with the tunnel graphics, but almost every road and rail set has this problem as well trying to replace those graphics.
le_harv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by le_harv »

kamnet wrote: 20 Mar 2024 02:48
le_harv wrote: 20 Mar 2024 00:16 Is the problem in the gif below to do with OpenGFX2, road/rail set or the vehicle sets I am using? See how it flickers as it drives through the back of the tunnel.
It's a problem with the tunnel graphics, but almost every road and rail set has this problem as well trying to replace those graphics.
Ah, good to know. Thank you!
Brickblock1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brickblock1 »

To me it seems more like the alignment of the trains are wrong, causing them to be visible behind the tunnel graphics.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

Brickblock1 wrote: 20 Mar 2024 09:29 To me it seems more like the alignment of the trains are wrong, causing them to be visible behind the tunnel graphics.
Look closely, just before the road vehicles start to come out of the tunnel - there's a frame or two with the flickering from "inside" the tunnel.
I would trust kamnet here - there's a LOT that he knows in relation to GRF's as he's been around OpenTTD and these forums for many years.
Brickblock1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brickblock1 »

skc wrote: 20 Mar 2024 14:14 Look closely, just before the road vehicles start to come out of the tunnel - there's a frame or two with the flickering from "inside" the tunnel.
I would trust kamnet here - there's a LOT that he knows in relation to GRF's as he's been around OpenTTD and these forums for many years.
I am not able to find this flickering, I only find three stray pixels coming from the bus that has graohics which are too big, It would also not be something OpenGFX2 could do anything about as the tunnel sprites are provided by U&RaTT.

I did also test the train tunnels and found that they don't have this issue with trains that keep their graphics inside the bounding box. It worked without issue when I tried the vanilla trains. A tunnel set could try to stop this from happening but that would mean overlapping the tile behind the tunnel which wouldn't be desired as it would look bad if that tile wasn't grass.

Return to “Graphics Development”