Earliest Compatible Windows OS?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Earliest Compatible Windows OS?

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

I'm looking to get a PC or laptop, but I have absolutely no money. Anything I get will probably be over a decade or two old, so I wanted to know what the earliest version of Windows is that can run OpenTTD without causing the CPU to go supernova. Stability is optional.
EN-GB: Smoking like a train since 2015
CY-GB: Ysmygu fel trên ers 2015
GA-IE: Ag caitheamh tobac cosúil le traein ó 2015
kamnet

Re: Earliest Compatible Windows OS?

Post by kamnet »

OpenTTD compiles on pretty much any version of Linux. Current OpenTTD is compiled for Windows 7 or higher, but there is a user here who has compiled it on Windows XP (1.11.0,l not OpenTTD 12). Most of OpenTTD only runs on a single core, it isn't enhanced by GPUs, so you can play on some quite low-end machines. I currently play on an Intel Quad Core Q6600 with 6 GB RAM that I built in 2008, a few months before I first started playing OpenTTD 0.7.0. This box currently runs Windows 10 and isn't slow by any means.
Fractals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fractals »

I currently use a ThinkPad T430s and run Open TTD without issue. You can find one for under 200 usd or around 170 eruo. What's your budget?
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

Honestly, my budget is about a hundred euros maximum. That or I raid the recycling centre. Money is very tight, I get twenty a week and that goes on tobacco, which is taxed quite harshly, and recently went up another two euro for a single pouch.
Trying to cut down to a pouch every second week, but that still leaves me with only 40 a month. My disability allowance is 204 euros, but, coupled with rent to my parents, management of my Xbox and my mobile, means that it would take months to be able to afford even a basic computer. I haven't had mobile credit for almost half a year.
Basically, I would need something for 100 or less, because at the moment, it isn't realistic to look at anything more expensive.
Sorry for rambling, but it's just complicated.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Any Windows computer from 2010 or later should be able to run the latest versions of OpenTTD, at least.
flp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by flp »

Hi RhapsodyTTD,

maybe i can help you regarding a cheap new computer.

Some years ago i had a one month internship in Dublin (it's an European Union Program Erasmus, Europass or however it is called now, i am german btw). I worked at a cute little backyard computer shop, and they had an attic full of old computers and parts. My task was to look for compatible parts and then i should build a computer with the parts. They also had used/refurbished notebooks.

The shop is Computer Works in Drumcondra, maybe they have something suitable for you.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

If you cannot afford a recent-ish Windows version (Windows 8 is the oldest that is still supported if I am not mistaken), you really should look at Linux, in particular at a distribution aimed at low-level hardware like Xubuntu.

Out-of-date operating systems are a safety hazard both for yourself and your personal data, as well as for others because your computer may be abused to distribute viruses, become part of a botnet, or get exploited for DDoS attacks.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

flp wrote: 31 Oct 2021 19:42 Hi RhapsodyTTD,

maybe i can help you regarding a cheap new computer.

Some years ago i had a one month internship in Dublin (it's an European Union Program Erasmus, Europass or however it is called now, i am german btw). I worked at a cute little backyard computer shop, and they had an attic full of old computers and parts. My task was to look for compatible parts and then i should build a computer with the parts. They also had used/refurbished notebooks.

The shop is Computer Works in Drumcondra, maybe they have something suitable for you.
Thanks, flp, I'll take a look when I can. Quite a journey from Bray, however, and still quite wary over COVID-19. I was in close contact with a friend who was tested positive, so I'll have to make sure I'm all clear before I go out and about.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

Do you have Freecycle, or Freegle in Ireland (It's a Yahoo group)? You should be able to pick up an old PC for free.
Facebook marketplace perhaps?
Gumtree?

Forget Windows. Install Linux (free). Lubuntu has low overheads (not Xubuntu, as quoted above). Although having said that, I'm still trying to compile JGRPP on Linux. Instructions are REALLY unclear.

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'll be honest - any PC made in the last decade will run Windows 10 just as well as any Linux distribution with less hassle for the non-Linux user, just make sure it has at least 4GB RAM. Spend $30 on a 128GB SSD and it will be quite a spiffy machine for playing OpenTTD.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

I guess it shouldn't be too much of an issue. OpenTTD has been ported to pretty much everything. I actually have a port of 0.5 on the PSP, which runs maps up to 256x256. Probably possible to port onto even older platforms.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

I have a fairly recent Lenovo desktop PC that I'm looking to replace with a custom rig, I'd be happy to look at sending it over to you if you can cover P&P, it came pre-installed with Win10, it's only a dual-core or something. DM me if you're interested.
Last known as: Weirdy
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

RhapsodyTTD wrote: 01 Nov 2021 11:34 Probably possible to port onto even older platforms.
You need a reasonably modern compiler to build recent versions of OpenTTD, but earlier versions of OpenTTD (especially pre-C++) can be made to work on pretty much anything.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

True, almost all of the homebrew ports use old versions of OpenTTD. Would require a lot of work to be able to run newer versions. Older consoles, at least handhelds are out of the question. Older PCs would struggle, but I think it's possible.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The main issue with compiling versions that run on older OSes or non-standard hardware (game consoles) is that you need a person or persons who will remain dedicated to keeping it up-to-date. In the case of the PSP port, there was only one person who was passionate about developing it, but he died, and nobody else was working on it with him, so the project ended. In many other cases (PS Vita, Wii Homebrew) the developers only released one version and never came back to update it again.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

I guess when they passed, so did the interest. I didn't know about that myself.
I remember moving some files from the android version onto the PSP, and though it loaded, I couldn't get it to display correctly, as the graphics were corrupted.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Installing homebrew software on a console is a huge pain anyway, and I think most console users just don't care. That is of course leaving aside the fact that OpenTTD is designed to be played with a mouse and keyboard, and any port to a system without a mouse and keyboard will a) require a thorough redesign of the user interface or b) be heavily compromised usability-wise.

So I can see why nobody wants to maintain home rew console ports for OpenTTD: it may be an interesting project to get it running, but actually maintaining it requires a lot of boring chores, and with very few people actually using those ports these chores are probably not very emotionally satisfying either.

Also, the PSP is ancient and its computing power is probably eclipsed by any chrrent budget smartphone so even if someone did port OpenTTD 12 to it, it would struggle to run large maps and / or big vehicle pools.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

As mentioned, it remained stable up to a map size of 256x256. It does crap out if I use any large NewGRFs, but it's mostly just limitations of the system and the version of OpenTTD being run.
But yes, this is getting a bit off topic. Might make a separate thread for any homebrew discussion.
I did message the user flp who said they were willing to send a laptop if I could cover postage, but they haven't gotten back to me. Honestly though, paying postage on something from too far or out of the European Union is expensive, and as I said before, money is pretty much my main issue. That and customs when getting it delivered. If they're reading this, then I am grateful for the offer, but I have to decline due to the costs of shipping being too high.
My aunt is actually looking to get rid of a desktop computer. Problem is that it's old. VERY old. Windows 98.
I'm happy with the android version, but I have fat fingers and a cracked screen. Not exactly a new phone either.
Not a good position to be in. At least until the devs or third party make an official release on console.
OpenTTD on Xbox One when?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

How much is shipping & customs going to be? Post a number and let's see if we can fundraise for it.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

Absolutely not. I don't want to be in debt to anyone. I'm touched by the generosity, but I honestly couldn't take a cent from anyone. I have a personal policy. Never do nothing for something, and never do something for nothing. I hope you understand my reasons. And anyway, I'm an active user of only a few days. Please, use any money you raise to keep the site going. :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”