Micro-management concept

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Micro-management concept

Post by ChrisCF »

Because it's at that time of day when I get bored, I turned to the dangerous habit of thinking, and here is a rough idea for a concept as regards the minutiae of running your company.

Pretty much every small detail (within reason) should be within the player's control - right down to salary levels, training provided, stock allocation, etc. However, not everyone will want to deal with it. So, for those people:

1. The facility of a manager is provided, so instead of dictating presonnel policy down to hte last detail, you have a personnel manager to do that based on rough parameters.

2. Instead of working in detail, the player dictates a policy, and the manager acts in line with it (e.g. "Salaries: Industry average", "Fares: Bargain" and automatically setting the staffing budget)

3. The player pays the manager a salary, however the manager does the best job for the wage.

4. The managers can be brought in and fired at any time.

Thoughts, anyone?
eXinion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eXinion »

I have a thought:

'Wow, that's a very good idea' :)

that's about it :p

ow, wait no, another thought:

'Isn't that very difficult to implement?'

I'm done now :)
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I would like to give the player the posibility to completely customize what that manager is doing, like only wages or maybe even aquiring contracts.
Preferably by having different managers for different tasks, so you the tasks that don't have a manager automatically fall to you.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Yes, each individual business area (finance, promotion, personnel, etc.) would have a manager, and giving them different levels of control over that area is definitely an idea worth thinking about. As I said, this is an early concept, and it will take quite a bit of design and implementation work to actually get this in the game, but it gives us something to talk about :)
Talroth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Talroth »

I keep forgetting to check this forum, but is there a plan to use the old TT style of industrial relations, where you just build the routes, and haul whatever, even if someone else is already doing it, or will you need to bid on contracts to ship stuff? *Bidding would be good, as you could work away and push someone else out of their routes by taking a loss and bidding lower than they can*
eXinion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eXinion »

Talroth wrote:I keep forgetting to check this forum, but is there a plan to use the old TT style of industrial relations, where you just build the routes, and haul whatever, even if someone else is already doing it, or will you need to bid on contracts to ship stuff? *Bidding would be good, as you could work away and push someone else out of their routes by taking a loss and bidding lower than they can*
I like that idea a lot, gives Transport Empire a good way of competiting prizes and stuff...
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

While I like that contracting suff a lot, a lot of people will just want the old system, so I would like two (or more) different modes to set.
Talroth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Talroth »

Yeah, I ment to add that try to keep the option. *For the normal way, it would just be a matter of having the contract state set to 'pay for transit' for everything in the game. That, or make another set of code to handel that option.
Storwin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Storwin »

Micromanagement is a good thing, if it is optional. I like spending hours playing with my railway-network, but I'd rather not have to worry about much else. It would be very nice to have the possibilites do it, however.

A suggestion might be to keep this in mind when developing the "core"-game, and then implement it when you've got the macromanagement right :)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Let us script our own managers :)

Set a fixed price for all little things like "check the profitabillity of this industry" or "check the price for oil at Stanford" or "change a train's consist" or ...
Whenever a manager does one of these things, the company has to pay the (small) price. Ofcourse, manager scripts should be easy to share and distribute with others.

*ducks for raging programmers who don't want such a complex thing in the game*
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

oooh, scripts.
We could implement ruby in TE ;)
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Yeah, we could. And bring performance down on its knees.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Paranoid Android
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: lo:kay:shun - The site and/or situation of a settlement

Post by Paranoid Android »

Wouldn't this just make the game overly complicated? I thought one of the items on the design brief was 'Keep it simple'...
r is a c***

will frequently check credit at (moral) bank (hole in wall)
RIP THE BETA BAND 1997-2004
Transport Empire's music-er.

So now I've closed my eyes, closing seconds of our time

My music

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”