MIDI just doesnt't sound like it should.

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

aequitas
Engineer
Engineer

MIDI just doesnt't sound like it should.

Post by aequitas »

Hi all,

First of all i would like to introduce myself as great TT & TTD fan and linux addict. Some reasons for me switching back to windows where the games. But now the most important one has been ported i don't have to :)

Got the game up and running in no time with midi thanks to the hints on the forum but there is still one thing bothering me.

the MIDI just doesn't sound like is should. The general bleeb sounds a little odd and some songs just don't sound right. Its just a little tiny bit different but enough for a real fan to notice.

And now al of a sudden i hear sonds comming from sawmills electricity stations etc. But i can get over that i think.

Anyone know a solution how to get the sound right? I don't know much of midi but it would be hard to do i guess.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

MIDI can sounds diffirent on diffirent soundcards
if they are strange for you ten it's your soundcard/it's drivers
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
aequitas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by aequitas »

So i have OSS to blame or the kernel module for my sound card?

Is there a way to change the instruments of a card driver or is that a little overdone?

I have a SB Live 5.1. Using the Kx project for windows drivers. Maybe the linux TT doesn't use the hardware midi instruments?

Any idea
voyageur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by voyageur »

On Linux, midi is played through timidity in a separate process. Timidty is more or less a MIDi to WAV converter, that means that midi playing is done by software (with the midi banks you have set up for timidity), and not at all by the MIDI part of your sound card. And MIDI files can sound really different between a standard sound card and software decoding with big professional patchsets :wink:
Voyageur
Linux-powered

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”