Vactrain Set Development Thread - 1.0.1 Now Available

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Vactrain Set Development Thread - 1.0.1 Now Available

Post by odisseus »

kongbuur wrote: 09 Feb 2024 10:31 I feel I should warn anyone wanting to do this too. You just end up having problems with trains leaving stations. They cannot get out fast enough. And block the entrance leaving. ... So (much) faster loading speeds on a big station just gives You a long queue outside (same as before, only then the platforms were full of trains. Now they are also outside, so worse, basically).
Of course, increasing the load/unload speed won't magically solve all your throughput limitations. The total throughput of your system is limited by the throughput of its least efficient part. Removing the bottleneck just exposes another bottleneck, but the overall throughput still increases a little bit.

As a matter of fact, there are many designs of station entrances, some of them more efficient than others. Even with a terminus station, there is usually room for improvement.
kongbuur wrote: 09 Feb 2024 10:31 If it's a terminus station, You might as well just have 2 platforms.
That's a huge advantage over having to squeeze a lot of platforms in a tight space.
Svartypops
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Svartypops »

Hi there, how do the cargo wagons work please?

They seem to have one of three random appearances when I buy them; an open-air flat wagon, a grey wagon or a yellow wagon - is that normal?

When I try to put them on the same line as the engine, it says, "Can't move vehicle ... Unit Wagons Only" - that's not particularly helpful to me, what does it mean please?

At one point I managed to change an existing train to have the new wagons but I don't know how I did it. Please help! Mayday, M'aide!
kongbuur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kongbuur »

Hi.

The Cargo Wagons behave like you describe it. Random appearance from 3 different possibilities when you buy them.

The Cargo Wagons will match the TransCargo Train in your Screenshot. The Passenger wagons will match the Sous-Vide. As the years go by, there will be more engines, but in the same way. The passenger one can be refitted to Goods, Mail (and Valuables maybe? I forgot) - the other one is all the other stuff.

So, in short, your passenger engine tells you that it wants Unit Wagons Only. That's the bottom 2 (so not 'universal cargo' but 'unit wagons', powered or not) - or, more correct for you: You need the other engine (Siemens) for the universal cargo wagons.
TheDarkGiganotosaur
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDarkGiganotosaur »

@Svartypops, that's a passenger-only train engine... which means you can ONLY attach passenger-based wagons.

Here's a list of what you can/can't attach...
[+] Spoiler
CompatibleTrains.jpg
CompatibleTrains.jpg (69.8 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Last edited by TheDarkGiganotosaur on 04 Mar 2024 20:04, edited 4 times in total.
The Dark Giganotosaur, the ghastly dinosaur (currently in human form)
"My favorite type of transport vehicles? Trains and streetcars/trams." | My Music | My Arts (TBA)
Windows 10 x64 (NEVER USED) | Knoppix 8.1+ x64 | Linux Mint 20.3 Xfce x64
Svartypops
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Svartypops »

Aha! Brilliant, thanks for the information and the quick response :D and for the mod!
TheDarkGiganotosaur
Engineer
Engineer

You're welcome. Image
Svartypops wrote: 04 Mar 2024 19:59and for the mod!
Umm... just to be clear (and to avoid any confusion and/or misunderstanding), Emperor Jake is the author and the one who made this NewGRF, not me.Image
"My favorite type of transport vehicles? Trains and streetcars/trams." | My Music | My Arts (TBA)
Svartypops
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Svartypops »

TheDarkGiganotosaur wrote: 05 Mar 2024 08:17 You're welcome. Image
Svartypops wrote: 04 Mar 2024 19:59and for the mod!
Umm... just to be clear (and to avoid any confusion and/or misunderstanding), Emperor Jake is the author and the one who made this NewGRF, not me.Image
I really appreciate the image, it's super-useful, please don't remove it! :bow:

I wonder, if the mod author reads this, if they could kindly make it clear which engines go with which carriage-type, please? I appreciate that they do provide a lot of information about the trains, but one of the most important things is the type, and that seems to be difficult to discern.
TheDarkGiganotosaur
Engineer
Engineer

Svartypops wrote: 08 Mar 2024 02:11please don't remove it! :bow:
Why would I do that? I see no logical reason for me to remove it, so no worries. Hee hee!Image

Anyway, you can always download the image for safekeeping and for insta-access.
Svartypops wrote: 08 Mar 2024 02:11I wonder, if the mod author reads this, if they could kindly make it clear which engines go with which carriage-type, please? I appreciate that they do provide a lot of information about the trains, but one of the most important things is the type, and that seems to be difficult to discern.
Each train set may have its own "slightly imposing" limitations/restrictions, but once you get used to them, it shouldn't be a problem. A little trial-and-error wouldn't hurt anyone--think of it as a memory puzzle game and see whether each wagon attaches to a train engine or not. Cakewalk. Image

Regardless, always check the train engines' capacities for the cargo types and optionally check whether or not they're refittable, same goes for wagons.
Last edited by TheDarkGiganotosaur on 09 Mar 2024 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Svartypops wrote: 08 Mar 2024 02:11 I wonder, if the mod author reads this, if they could kindly make it clear which engines go with which carriage-type, please? I appreciate that they do provide a lot of information about the trains, but one of the most important things is the type, and that seems to be difficult to discern.
I thought it was clear enough that multiple unit wagons can only go on multiple units and cargo wagons require cargo locomotives.

This would be a familiar mechanic if you've used any NewGRF that has MU wagons such as JapanSet or the 2CC trainset, but if you're expecting something more like Iron Horse or the vanilla trains I can see how it might be confusing.

I'll be sure to include better descriptions if/when I get around to updating this set :)

Return to “Graphics Development”