Should I use trucks?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bambus
Engineer
Engineer

Should I use trucks?

Post by Bambus »

Hi,

I am back at OpenTTD after a while of not playing. As before I tend to avoid road vehicles (apart from buses and mail trucks).

I just started a game with FIRS yesterday and have 1 iron ore mine and 1 steel mill very close to eachother (about 20-30 tiles I think) on a small island. They are the only of their type (also no iron works on map yet), so there is no other way to get metal (i.e. I have to connect them). Although I could just connect some train tracks; would it be more efficient to use trucks in this particular case?

PS: I am at work at the moment, so I will not be able to supply screenshots until tonight.

Edit: added the screenshots for the mine to steel mill distance and a larger overview including the coal mine and industries requiring metal:

Attachments
Iron.png
Iron mine and steel mill
(113.76 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Metal.png
Mines (black), steel mill (orange) and metal industries (red)
(603.51 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by Bambus on 01 Apr 2014 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Should I use trucks?

Post by leifbk »

At least, trucks are totally adequate for the job. I'm using the eGRVTS 2 road vehicle set, and there are some nice articulated hopper trucks available. A handful of them will do the job nicely.

I have been running a lot of games now with only RVs and a few ships, and I don't miss the trains at all. IME, trains need a lot of baby-sitting, while trucks just run back and forth making money :D
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I've played quite a few games with RVs only (and a few ships). For low production industries trucks will be more than fine. I too use eGRVTS 2 vehicle set and there are lots of vehicle choices. Just remember to refit them correctly before use.

You can easily leave space to add a rail service later should that be necessary...terrain permitting.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

3iff wrote:I've played quite a few games with RVs only (and a few ships). For low production industries trucks will be more than fine.
I like to start in 1830 and build a business entirely on horse-driven carriages, and steam-powered trams from about 1860. But I won't deny that I'm greatly relieved when the Bradley Hopper with friends show up around 1915. Horses do take up a lot of space, and a busy road is quickly cluttered.
Bambus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bambus »

leifbk wrote:I like to start in 1830 and build a business entirely on horse-driven carriages, and steam-powered trams from about 1860. But I won't deny that I'm greatly relieved when the Bradley Hopper with friends show up around 1915. Horses do take up a lot of space, and a busy road is quickly cluttered.
[Off-topic]
Which NewGRF's do you use?
[/Off-topic]

I think I will run trucks for now, which means trucks, ships, and trains will be needed from the start to obtain metal (all other relevant industries are inland on the mainland).
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Bambus wrote:[Off-topic]
Which NewGRF's do you use?
[/Off-topic]
Right now, these:
NewGRFs.png
NewGRFs.png (9.44 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
I've played with the FIRS too for a while, but right now I'm in with the plain old industries. And oh, I'm using a game script called "Limit City Growth" and set the mail and passenger quotas to 10% of max to allow city growth. When you run for 200 years game-time, the cities can grow awfully big :)

And by the way, the description of the eGRVTS 2 isn't entirely correct. Several of the horse carriages are actually available from 1700.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

leifbk wrote: I like to start in 1830 and build a business entirely on horse-driven carriages, and steam-powered trams from about 1860. But I won't deny that I'm greatly relieved when the Bradley Hopper with friends show up around 1915. Horses do take up a lot of space, and a busy road is quickly cluttered.
Yes, I've done that too. Hundreds of horse-drawn carriages charging around (it's almost like an action replay) and yes, it's a relief when a proper truck or bus makes an appearance.
Bambus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bambus »

Added screenshots to the first post. I'm thinking:
  1. trucks from ore mine to steel mill
  2. boat from steel mill to mainland (on/near small peninsula)
  3. traintracks from/to mainland harbour to coal mine and metal industries.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Trucks would work fine, so would the HEQS industrial trams.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

I often use the HEQS cargo trams for that kind of distance.
Bambus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bambus »

kamnet wrote:... so would the HEQS industrial trams.
Not running HEQS currently in this game.

Return to “General OpenTTD”