Passenger movement

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

broodje
Director
Director

Passenger movement

Post by broodje »

[NOTE: This discussion was forked from the "Very flexible economy/industry system" thread. You may wish to read that topic first - Chris]

yep agree with your first point, I dont with the last 2. If you are going to implant a stock exchange etc, it will distract you from the core busines, transporting goods. You are now talking more like a Railroad Tycoon game, thats okey with me, but I think there are enough games like that. There is only one railroad transport game atm ttd. All others dont have the signalling/track laying capabiletys needed for a true trantsport game.

to come back to your first idea I did mean the same, the citys should produce a bit more pasengers, it is totaly useless if there is only one pasenger for every destination per month :). In that perspective, maybe you can limit the destinations a bit. So every city can only produce pasengers for 5 citys for example.
Btw the destination could be related to the city sizes, so a large city has more ariving pasengers as the smaller ones.
one more point, If the pasengers only go to citys, you could say that if a station covers the centre of a town the town gets conected (the way transport giant probably will do it) for accepting pasengers. For the producing of pasengers the houses that are in the cover area of a station will produce them and maybe a choice if pasengers of 1 house will only produce for 1 destination, or will they produce a random destination? The 2nd will be harder to transport, every week the pasengers can go to a diferend destination, wich will make it realy hard making a good transport network.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

If passengers have destinations anyway, they will stay in the train going to that destination untill they reach it. In other words: there is no need for a train for every destination. If we make the passengers really smart we can also make them switch trains at the right station. And I think that the further away the destination is from the city, less people want to go there.
I'm for a very realistic model.
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

Arathorn wrote:If passengers have destinations anyway, they will stay in the train going to that destination untill they reach it. In other words: there is no need for a train for every destination.
that wouldnt be realistic :). And I think that would make it not fun as player. you would have to let trains go to every destination the pasengers wish. I would like it if I could have a bus to a station, then a train to a large place for example where the pasengers step onto the slow train to their destination. This would be realy hard to implant, but looking at trafic giant, it wouldnt be imposible.
Maybe the route shouldnt be stored like ttd does, I think you should make a route and then asign a train to it. not the otherway around like it happends in ttd. That route list must have the shared stations with other routes somehow stored, so you can telkl the cargo wich station they should get out.
If you want it "ubercool" you could asign a price to switching transportation, eg it takes x% of the price for very change. This way you make it profitable to make a direct link to a destination if lots of people want to go there.
and your point of people only going to close destinations....No way :P, maybe you can say x%goes nearby, but there wouldnt be a need for airplanes then for example. so I think that would lower the fun a bit.

btw I realize that the way I want it would seriously hog a lot off procesor time when loading a city and also when a new building is made or a route build. becouse all destinations and routes to that destination need to be checked. So I realize I might be dreaming to much.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Off course the passengers won't get into a train that doesn't go to the palce the passenger wants to.
I said most people don't want to go far, how many times a year are you in a plane and how often in a bus?
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

to hyronymus, well we were OT, you with your stock exchange aren't mister :), so go away and play in a separte topic :wink:

@ arathon, ah wel good point, I'm more often in a train as by bus :P, but realy how many people want to go to small towns and how many to big citys?

What I meant was, you can make some sort of a filter. In my opinion innnercity transport should be ignored, people can do that on their own, and you would need far to big citys to simulate that.

whats left are peope that want to go to other vilages/towns. And then you have for example 80% that goes to bigger towns, and 20% that goes to small vilages. off those 80% a proportion should go to far away towns, I mean what use would a ICE be if everybody only goes to nearby towns?
So you cant just say inhabitants only go to nearby towns.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Shall I fork the stuff about passenger dealings then? /* edit */ looks like I have done.

I suppose you could rig it like TG where a train runs from A to B, and you dictate beforehand at which intermediate stations it will stop, and at certain junctions, which line to take (e.g. sending fast trains down one line, and slower ones down another), and then passengers work out their journey based on that. Some things are station shape, size, layout, etc. What constitutes a "walk" for instance? Will passengers be clever enough to change from one part of a station to another (e.g. stations on two levels)?

Here is an example of one station on two levels, with a "short" distance between the two. This is in London, and lots of passengres run on both levels through the day, along with freight services crossing from one to the other.

This is one that I pass on my way ot work, though which level I'm on depends on what mood I'm in. Cardiff is bottom-right-wards. Yes, the Low Level line is single-track, for one-train working. This one is so close, you can look down on the Low Level station from the window of the train stopped on the High Level.

Last edited by ChrisCF on 22 Mar 2004 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

What do you mean by two levels? As long as it's one station, the passengers can be made to understand.
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

I'll answer for chris

he means like that. maybe the route list function should look for routes in a 6 tile radius around a station? this way pasengers can walk a bit between stations, also usefull if an other player wants to build a station nearby, you would be able to "steal" pasengers form other players then :)

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”