Chat not working - OFTC has banned Mibbit

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Chat not working - OFTC has banned Mibbit

Post by jvassie »

Not much to do to the subject title really, looks like OFTC irc network has banned connections from Mibbit - so for the moment people will have to connect from a seperate client such as mIRC or xChat
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chat not working - OFTC has banned Mibbit

Post by orudge »

OFTC has a web chat feature of its own. It looks like I may have to switch over to that.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

jvassie wrote:Not much to do to the subject title really, looks like OFTC irc network has banned connections from Mibbit - so for the moment people will have to connect from a seperate client such as mIRC or xChat
I can confirm that it has been happening for around a month, I think.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I've e-mailed them my displeasure over banning a good web-based client in favor of an inferior one. I'd rather use an IRC server that was truly "open" an "free".
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

To be fair, I don't blame them at all - Mibbit is probably the most abused facility on IRC these days. You can tell exactly what's about to happen whenever someone with a nickname of "Guest1234" joins #tycoon... :roll:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I did get a response, and it looks like they're (possibly, fairly) putting the blame on Mibbit for not cooperating faster.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin,

We're sorry that you feel this way, and hope that one day you'll understand why we made the choices we did. Here's a little more context so you're aware of the full situation.

It was becoming increasingly difficult for OFTC to provide a quality experience for those using Mibbit, as abuse by a single user would often lead to an outage for significant swaths of Mibbit users. Simultaneously Mibbit wasn't able to keep up with the block list for preventing tor exit nodes from using their service, which compounded the outages Mibbit users would experience.

OFTC needed a mechanism to cut down on abuse to provide a quality experience for everyone else using OFTC legitimately. Mibbit wanted us to enable the WEBIRC command for their exit nodes. This requires OFTC to give Mibbit a free pass to tell us how someone is connecting to OFTC via Mibbit. This was not a satisfactory solution, and for a few years we've discussed among ourselves and with Mibbit alternative solutions.

OFTC finally arrived at a solution that we thought was a workable for everyone. OFTC would enable a socket.io listener on its servers exposing raw IRC to web clients, removing the middle man between consumers of web clients and OFTC itself. The down side of this would require some engineering work to be done on Mibbits end. On the plus side, anyone and everyone can create the web ui that they prefer without having to provide a server side mechanism to connect to OFTC, or without having to get permission beforehand.

Users are not necessarily forced to use our modified qwebirc, it's just that there hasn't been another implementation of the web client done.

The decision to ban Mibbit exit nodes was not taken lightly, and wasn't unilateral. We communicated with Mibbit our intentions, and negotiated a date that would provide them time to do the engineering work for a seamless experience for its users. That date came and went, and Mibbit had not done the work to move to the new system.

We hope that Mibbit will one day do the work to connect to OFTC, and we sincerely hope that when that day comes you'll consider using our network again.

Thanks for your consideration

tjfontaine
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Bump - it's been over a year now, and the chat is still broken.

If it can't be simply fixed, it might be worth removing the 'Chat' button altogether and just providing a list of relevant channels with a link to OFTC's webclient?
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The chat is not broken. As much as I don't like it, this is a decision made entirely by Mibbit to not work with OFTC.

Select another IRC client from your browser, Chatzilla works great. A stand-alone client like mIRC also works just fine.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

kamnet wrote:The chat is not broken. As much as I don't like it, this is a decision made entirely by Mibbit to not work with OFTC.
Select another IRC client from your browser, Chatzilla works great. A stand-alone client like mIRC also works just fine.
I use Konversation, and never really used the Mibbit interface. It's not a problem for me personally.

My point is that the forum embeds a Mibbit widget and links to it from every page; that's a pretty strong endorsement of it, and so when it consistently fails (in a rather non-obvious manner, to boot) it's frustrating or confusing to newbies. I got a couple of PMs about it yesterday (for some reason?), hence remembering this was a thing.

These people don't care that the IRC channel itself works fine, or even know what IRC is. They just know that the big 'Chat' button at the top of the forum inexplicably says they're banned rather than letting them chat. From any reasonable, non-technical perspective that counts as 'broken', even though the channel can be accessed by other means.

Since there's no reason to think the embedded Mibbit widget will ever work, it should be replaced or the prominent link to it removed. Directing users to something that's known-broken is a bad idea.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

FLHerne wrote:
kamnet wrote:The chat is not broken. As much as I don't like it, this is a decision made entirely by Mibbit to not work with OFTC.
I use Konversation, and never really used the Mibbit interface. It's not a problem for me personally.

My point is that the forum embeds a Mibbit widget and links to it from every page; that's a pretty strong endorsement of it, and so when it consistently fails (in a rather non-obvious manner, to boot) it's frustrating or confusing to newbies. I got a couple of PMs about it yesterday (for some reason?), hence remembering this was a thing.

These people don't care that the IRC channel itself works fine, or even know what IRC is. They just know that the big 'Chat' button at the top of the forum inexplicably says they're banned rather than letting them chat. From any reasonable, non-technical perspective that counts as 'broken', even though the channel can be accessed by other means.

Since there's no reason to think the embedded Mibbit widget will ever work, it should be replaced or the prominent link to it removed. Directing users to something that's known-broken is a bad idea.
Something clean would be sending to some page explaining how to connect using a real IRC client (and eventually giving advices about some of them), and not some web intermediary. IRC is IRC, and for this, there is real IRC software. Webclients are basically an improper - and really dirty - way to go there (this Mibbit story is just one more perfect proof of that). mIRC, Konversation, Xchat, weechat, irssi. The stuff is there.
Patch - Let's timetable depot waiting time with the Wait in depot patch.
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

FLHerne wrote:My point is that the forum embeds a Mibbit widget and links to it from every page; that's a pretty strong endorsement of it, and so when it consistently fails (in a rather non-obvious manner, to boot) it's frustrating or confusing to newbies. I got a couple of PMs about it yesterday (for some reason?), hence remembering this was a thing. Since there's no reason to think the embedded Mibbit widget will ever work, it should be replaced or the prominent link to it removed. Directing users to something that's known-broken is a bad idea.
Oh, DOH! I forgot about the embedded page on the forums here. I thought you were talking about the link on OpenTTD.org. Yeah that probably does need fixed, sometime after Owen gets back from his honeymoon.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

oftc provides their own web chat, perhaps that is a useful replacement?

http://www.oftc.net/WebChat/

A real client is perhaps the better solution, but lots of people don't have that installed.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

With HTML5 being what it is these days, I can probably switch it over to some sort of HTML5-based web IRC client. Time, as always, is the issue. I'll try to remember to look at it tonight!
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

Maybe you can steal some widget/code ideas from here: https://wl.widelands.org/webchat/
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Bump.
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

For what? Chat on here. For what its worth actually, the amount of times I've used the chat it has been dead apart from one time.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Having a chat button to a non-working chat does not make much sense. It could even be the reason there are so few people.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Any update on getting this bad boy fixed?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Subject to me having finished painting Olivia's room, I will try to actually look at this tonight. Sorry!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Or possibly tomorrow night, now. Sorry. But Olivia's bedroom is looking good. (She wanted it pink.) :)

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”