FiFo and trains leaving the station

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

MSar
Engineer
Engineer

FiFo and trains leaving the station

Post by MSar »

Hello,

I am a newbie here, but on browsing I did not find any thread similar to the request I am about to pose. If it already has been discussed, I beg your pardon.
Using FiFo is nice, especially since it makes redundant to have loading stations / station parts, i.e. stations where only those trains go, which are loading the produced stuff.
Now the issue is, that trains which are the ones to be loaded in FiFo on leaving the station still remain the one to be loaded and thus other trains with the same cargo type sit idly in the station and nothing happens there. This is, as documented in the manual. How tricky is that to change in a way, that trains leaving the station get "deregistered" with the load management and the next train in stations becomes loaded. If that is easily done, I would like to ask for the implementation.
Background: This issue arises for me, since for the time being I am used to create 3 track stations near farms and to set up 4 trains (2 grain, 2 livestock) to transport the farm products. One train usually waits in front of the station for a free track. If now the loading train leaves the station for service, it comes back and will be the waiting one. Which (in my setup) will not lead to too serious problems, since the other cargo type will probably leave soon, but still is a not-nice-feature.

Cheers
Carsten
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FiFo and trains leaving the station

Post by Rob »

MSar wrote:Hello,

I am a newbie here, but on browsing I did not find any thread similar to the request I am about to pose. If it already has been discussed, I beg your pardon.
Welcome. :D
MSar wrote:Using FiFo is nice, especially since it makes redundant to have loading stations / station parts, i.e. stations where only those trains go, which are loading the produced stuff.
Now the issue is, that trains which are the ones to be loaded in FiFo on leaving the station still remain the one to be loaded and thus other trains with the same cargo type sit idly in the station and nothing happens there. This is, as documented in the manual. How tricky is that to change in a way, that trains leaving the station get "deregistered" with the load management and the next train in stations becomes loaded. If that is easily done, I would like to ask for the implementation.
Background: This issue arises for me, since for the time being I am used to create 3 track stations near farms and to set up 4 trains (2 grain, 2 livestock) to transport the farm products. One train usually waits in front of the station for a free track. If now the loading train leaves the station for service, it comes back and will be the waiting one. Which (in my setup) will not lead to too serious problems, since the other cargo type will probably leave soon, but still is a not-nice-feature.

Cheers
Carsten
You can easily make sure this will not happen by giving the train a "Go to depot" order. This way the train will never leave the station only to get serviced, but it will wait to get serviced until it actually is going to pass by the depot.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
MSar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MSar »

I know that such a depot tour would be also a workaround. But usually the better solution is to fix things. ;) I program web interfaces, you never know, what customers come up withl ;)

Carsten
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

That's true, but my "workaround" also saves you to build a loop to get the trains back at the entrance of the station after visiting the depot.
Besides it also isn't "realistic" to send the train for service in the middle of loading up. :P
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
MSar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MSar »

But that would mean, that the code sending the train to the depot in the middle of loading is the bug in the first place. ;)
I think, we now start being a bit silly. ;)
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Part of the original problem in the first post by itself is a problem I have.
Namely, when a train is full and stays at the station for a time, no other trains on full load can load until said train starts to leave. Is there no way to make it so train 2, when train 1 is fully loaded, can start loaded regardless of whether train 1 has left the station or not?
Or am I just making no sense at all, the way I usually do...
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

I don't know about usually, but this time you don't make a lot of sense. :mrgreen:
Why would a train remain in the station if it is already fully loaded ?

If you were using the latest nightlies, then you would have noticed that even with FIFO multiple trains can load simultaneously if there is enough cargo waiting at the station.
Still the best OS around
MSar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MSar »

Neither am I using nightlies, I am not an early adopter, besides I "have" to. Nor did I claim, that there was loads of stuff in the station? ;)
I like to have a train in the station to get the rate up, since that decreases, if there is no train inside the station, and I do not like to have one track per possible train (which would be a nice workaround as well). Since I have two cargos, and I want to ensure, that at least one train of each sort is inside the station, I have 3 tracks. So if now the grain train A is within the station waiting for freshly harvested grain to become available, since rate is low and the farm is not a big producer, it might happen, that the train needs some time (and some service intervals) to become loaded (no, I am not using overlong trains). So that is where my "problem" starts. ;)

Carsten

Return to “Suggestions”