Buoy graphics needed - asap

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Celestar
Director
Director

Buoy graphics needed - asap

Post by Celestar »

Hi people

we need a distinct graphics for a buoy in order to display it properly on canals (on both trunk and 0.5), and I rediscovered my non-existing aptitude for drawing. So if any of you artists would like to give it a go, it'd be most helpful.

Here's a real life example:

Thanks
Celestar[/img]
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Do you mean a buoy with no water tile around it?
Attachments
quick attempt, feel free to modify/discard.
quick attempt, feel free to modify/discard.
buoy.gif (883 Bytes) Viewed 8874 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Before anyone suggests anything a lot bigger, remember it will also have a station sign.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

I just got this idea, of splitting the one buoy into the normal green and red one. There is only one problem (no green flashlight availible).
Keep this just as suggestion.

The idea has to come out in the wash. ;)
Attachments
Lima Transport, 7. Apr 2101.png
Lima Transport, 7. Apr 2101.png (33.06 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

Ooooh yes, i like the red/green idea :)
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Somehow I have the feeling it would take more sprites than one...
I like the idea. Have some questions though.

Would it be for canals only, or also for open waters?
And how would it look like in the situation below?

Don't understand me wrong. I'd really like to see two rows of red/green buoys (even if they're 4 pixels large) instead of current ones. There just some problems we have to think about.
Attachments
Munningville Transport, 23rd Feb 1950.png
Munningville Transport, 23rd Feb 1950.png (53.34 KiB) Viewed 8614 times
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Mchl wrote:Somehow I have the feeling it would take more sprites than one...
Not imperatively. The 1 sprite could be drawn with comany color and remaped in game, but that is not the good way. I thought about 2 sprites (one red, on green). They can be place by the code.
Mchl wrote:Would it be for canals only, or also for open waters?
I thought abaout it too, but got to the point to say that ist not nessesary to code that. The ships would drive over it, like the situation is now. Except the code of ship movement would be adapted.
Mchl wrote:There just some problems we have to think about.
Agreed, that's what I said before.
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

I just somehow noticed that the German translation of "buoy" is wrong ...

There will not be any changing of ship movement in 0.5 (it's hopefully stable now) so a kind of centered buoy would be helpful there :)

Celestar
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Celestar wrote:I just somehow noticed that the German translation of "buoy" is wrong ...
Nope, I just mentioned that there could be another solution than buoy's ON the water. ;)
Celestar wrote:... so a kind of centered buoy would be helpful there :)
Ok did some small work! Other color combinations are possible.
My favorite is the red/green combination.

Attachted also a grf to test them in game. Switch through with 1st grf-parameter.
Attachments
buoy_test.grf
(998 Bytes) Downloaded 260 times
buoy_test.png
buoy_test.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 8521 times
---
---
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

"Tonne" is the correct German term for what we have here, not "Boje", but then again who cares? :) I don't play the German version anyway.

Anyway, nice looking stuff

Celestar
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

I read a bit about the signaling with the bouy's. It seems that the correct color should be white with vertical red stripes. These bouy's mark the middle of rivers in a curve. But this is really hard to draw.

link to Wikipedia (DE)
---
---
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Canals don´t need marks. (And they usually don´t have.)

regards
Michael
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Not in real life maybe, but they often do need them in OpenTTD.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

And that´s where the well-known "buoy" steps in. No need for another fictitious object ...

regards
Michael
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

michael blunck wrote:And that´s where the well-known "buoy" steps in. No need for another fictitious object ...
I think the 2nd graphic is requested to differ the sea-buoy from the canal-buoy graphically. Same code diffrent graphics. Just for a better overview. ;)
---
---
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Celestar was asking for a buoy graphic to replace the current buoy graphic for both the 'sea' and canals. This as the original buoy sprite is drawn with the water around it, making it impossible to draw the canal edges without overdrawing the buoy (the buoy's flag would be overdrawn by the canal edge).

As quick fix the buoy graphic that is used in the menu is used, but that one has a black border around it making it look strange. Therefor we asked for a new buoy sprite.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Buoy graphics needed - asap

Post by skidd13 »

Code: Select all

SPR_BUOY                        = 4076, //XXX this sucks, because it displays wrong stuff on canals
The buoy sprite is still marked in the sourcecode. There a some proposals, what do you plan to do?
---
---
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

I drawed this buoy for my set but never used it.
I think i made other drawings somewhere...
Attachments
buoy.png
buoy.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

lepkka wrote:I drawed this buoy for my set but never used it.
I think i made other drawings somewhere...
Attachments
buoy2.png
buoy2.png (1.37 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
buoy3.png
buoy3.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

This one is very nice, but unsuitable for current tile size. It is taller than a ship! :mrgreen:
I suggest you keep it for when we will have 128x63 sized tiles or bigger.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.

Return to “Graphics Development”