running on linux

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Firestar
Engineer
Engineer

running on linux

Post by Firestar »

I just installed opensuse 10.2, and trying to get openttd to run on it, I got it to run on a friends computer which has opensuse 10 on it, I've copied all the required files from my windows Dir to the linux machine and downloaded the latest nightly.

On the friends machine I can just change to the Dir and click on the exec file and it runs, but when I try this on openSuse nothing happens, Is it possible there is other library are
missing or something else wrong.

I thought about down loading the linux install but that is a deb file, and suse uses redhats RPM instead.

I could use any help that you could supply.

thanks
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

Have you tried running it through a console? (Konsole/Gnome Terminal/xterm)

That will allow it to print out all the errors it finds.
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
Firestar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Firestar »

tryed that as well it just not seem to execute, this is what I get from the console "./openttd: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" does that help?
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

Recently, a new version of libexpat.so was released, libexpat.so.1, which is incompatible with the old one, libexpat.so.0. Your version of OpenSuSE appears to have libexpat.so.1, while your friend's has libexpat.so.0, which is why openttd works on his computer and not yours.

You might be able to find an older version of libexpat that you can install at the same time as the one you've got now (don't remove the one you've already got or lots of things in your system, like KDE, will suddenly refuse to run), or maybe you could copy the library from your friend's computer to yours.

Alternatively, it may be easier just to compile openttd on your system. :wink:
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
Firestar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Firestar »

Problem solved, for any one else having this problem, libexpat.so.0 is part of the video, I think and you have to install the compat-expat1 package, which I found on the cd, but after that was installed openttd worked.
tneo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tneo »

Firestar wrote:Problem solved, for any one else having this problem, libexpat.so.0 is part of the video, I think and you have to install the compat-expat1 package, which I found on the cd, but after that was installed openttd worked.
Good to now, I'll give that a shot tonight because I'm having the same issue in OpenSuSe...
tneo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tneo »

Tried all the suggestions above, though I'm still not able to run OpenTTD under Gnome with OpenSuSE and don't feel like compiling myself. :?:
Firestar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Firestar »

did you rum it in the console to see what it said?
tneo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tneo »

I don't understand any of this. I ran the RPM I downloade of OpenTTD 0.5.1 and installed all dependencies. But I don't get it where SUSe places the files. I have no clue what so ever of which and where to find the file needed to start Open TTD.

All these install troubles still make me hesistant of switching fo Linux...
knedle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by knedle »

Try typing openttd in console and hit enter, if it has been installed without any errors, you can run OpenTTD like that.
tneo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tneo »

knedle wrote:Try typing openttd in console and hit enter, if it has been installed without any errors, you can run OpenTTD like that.
I have re-installed OpenTTD again and now I even have a menu item added, so I think something might have gone wrong the first time around, now things work under Linux. :D

Thanks for the help...
tneo
Engineer
Engineer

Re: running on linux

Post by tneo »

Bumping this thread for another issue for me.

I've installed Opensuse 10.2 (with all the latest updates) and OpenTTD. However gameplay is not smooth and slows down dramatically. Everything goes shockingly forward and that way I can hardly build tracks unless I pause/ unpasuse the game constantly.

Anyone has any thoughts on why it won't run smooth?
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Disable full animation. If that doesn't fix it, then I don't know what to say.
tneo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tneo »

Desolator wrote:Disable full animation. If that doesn't fix it, then I don't know what to say.
It fixes it for the most part, but things are still not as smooth as under Windows...
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Maybe you should install a proper video card driver. And not use music as timidity totally rules when it comes to wasting CPU cycles. Another thing might be that you've got some AI trying to build a system.
tneo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tneo »

Rubidium wrote:Maybe you should install a proper video card driver.
I have the latest NVidia driver installed.
And not use music as timidity totally rules when it comes to wasting CPU cycles.
I only have sound effects, no music. Does timidity has influence on that as well?
Another thing might be that you've got some AI trying to build a system.
Ok, but if I check the system monitor it only uses about 13.5MB resident memory...
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

tneo wrote:
Another thing might be that you've got some AI trying to build a system.
Ok, but if I check the system monitor it only uses about 13.5MB resident memory...
Memory consumption has nothing to do with the amount of "wasted" CPU cycles by the AI.
tneo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tneo »

Today I've installed Suse 10.3 and installed openttd again. Now everything goes smooth once again. :)
Thanks for the help.
tneo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tneo »

Side note:
I have found the problem to the shockingness. When Desktop Effects are enabled, OpenTTD is not running smooth, as soon as that is switched off everything goes fine.
YOYO
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YOYO »

Hi tneo,

Could you tell me where you got the RPM package from?
tryed to locate it at sourceFoge but no result.

Can you tell me where to find it?
And is it possible to let Suse update OpenTTD automatic?

Cheers,

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”