[UNIV] ISR - Industrial Stations Renewal

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [UNIV] ISR - Industrial Stations Renewal

Post by alluke »

Could you please remove the date limit from the old style portal cranes? :bow:
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

*** drooooooooling sound *** :lol:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

alluke wrote:Could you please remove the date limit from the old style portal cranes? :bow:
Hi alluke

Well yes I guess the retirement date is fairly pointless. The player can still choose not to build them. You should have asked earlier and it could have been done for v0.8.2. :wink:

Would you be able to do some Finnish translations? There are a few strings missing currently, see the attached file.
Voyager One wrote:*** drooooooooling sound *** :lol:
:D
Attachments
ISR missing strings FI.txt
(788 Bytes) Downloaded 50 times
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

mart3p wrote:
alluke wrote:Could you please remove the date limit from the old style portal cranes? :bow:
Would you be able to do some Finnish translations? There are a few strings missing currently, see the attached file.
Here is, I couldn't do the parameter strings since it's very hard to cook up reasonable-sounding ones. :oops:
Attachments
ISR%20missing%20strings%20FI.txt
(1.04 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

Thanks alluke. :D
alluke wrote:Here is, I couldn't do the parameter strings since it's very hard to cook up reasonable-sounding ones. :oops:
That's ok, you've done the important ones.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Another thing that popped into my mind: Shouldn't the container platforms be low?
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

alluke wrote:Another thing that popped into my mind: Shouldn't the container platforms be low?
You are probably right, they would certainly fit better with the low non-track tiles used for containers. :wink:

Sanchimaru's original graphics for the container platforms had the containers already placed on the platforms. This is the case with many of the tiles in ISR. I am currently in the process of separating the cargo graphics from the platforms. This will make reuse of sprites much easier. When this is done for the containers it will be quite easy to change to the low platforms.

It also has another advantage. It means the ground overlays used can be changed. I am planning to offer alternative ground tile overlays for certain stations, selectable by parameters, as shown in the screenshot...
ISR_ground.png
ISR_ground.png (32.84 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Delicious! And thanks for fixing AI bug.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

mart3p wrote:It also has another advantage. It means the ground overlays used can be changed. I am planning to offer alternative ground tile overlays for certain stations, selectable by parameters, as shown in the screenshot...
ISR_ground.png
Instead of parameters, which limits you to one choice for each game, is it possible instead to implement a procedure by which you can over-build with the same tile and it cycles the ground overlays? Many NewObjects do this

This would mean you can have a multiple overlays in a single game as oppose to a choice you have to stick to for the duration of play...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

JacobD88 wrote: [...] is it possible instead to implement a procedure by which you can over-build with the same tile and it cycles the ground overlays?
This would increase the number of IDs to be used and the size of the building menu.

regards
Michael
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

Kogut wrote:Delicious! And thanks for fixing AI bug.
You're welcome, sorry it took so long. And thanks for reporting the bug. :)
michael blunck wrote:
JacobD88 wrote: [...] is it possible instead to implement a procedure by which you can over-build with the same tile and it cycles the ground overlays?
This would increase the number of IDs to be used and the size of the building menu.
I don't think what JacobD88 is suggesting requires more IDs and build menu entries. My understanding is that he is asking for multiple ground overlays for each ID/menu entry. Though I don't believe it is possible to cycle through these options by overbuilding. But it should be possible to select them randomly. By overbuilding enough times you could get the one you want. I will experiment with this. :wink:
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

mart3p wrote:I don't think what JacobD88 is suggesting requires more IDs and build menu entries. My understanding is that he is asking for multiple ground overlays for each ID/menu entry. Though I don't believe it is possible to cycle through these options by overbuilding. But it should be possible to select them randomly. By overbuilding enough times you could get the one you want. I will experiment with this. :wink:
Over-building and cycling (randomly or otherwise) is exactly what i meant :]
I'll look forward to seeing what your experiments reveal :bow:

I can see the only minor issue for some users being that you will have to pay each time the tile is changed, but TBH this is of little issue to me as i spend thousands adding extra non-track tiles to stations anyway :lol:
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Cycle via tarmac--half-dirt--full-dirt would make the most sense.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I quite dislike having to cycle between random sprites, but if that is preferable to creating new IDs, code-wise, then I could deal with my pet peeves. :D
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

To be honest, I'd much rather stick with a single base type than repeated random overbuilding - I spend far too much time doing it with the ISR-style objects, and those don't get obstructed by trains or need to be built in large areas to get the desired appearance.
Perhaps make the parameter [concrete|solid mud|patchy mud|random]?
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

kamnet wrote:I quite dislike having to cycle between random sprites...
FLHerne wrote:To be honest, I'd much rather stick with a single base type than repeated random overbuilding...
Having considered this further, I have to agree with kamnet and FLHerne here. Some of the ISR tiles (the farm facilities for example) already have 4 random variations. If I added 4 alternative ground overlays to be also chosen randomly, this would be 16 combinations. It might take an awful lot of overbuilding to get the one you want.
FLHerne wrote:Perhaps make the parameter [concrete|solid mud|patchy mud|random]?
Yes, if I can make random selection just one of the parameter options that would probably be the best way to go. :)
dirt ground grain station.png
dirt ground grain station.png (64.33 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
dirt ground logging station.png
dirt ground logging station.png (48.49 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

FLHerne wrote:Perhaps make the parameter [concrete|solid mud|patchy mud|random]?
And I don't like this option either, unless I'm misunderstanding. In some parts of a map I may need an industry tile that is mud, while in another part of the map I may need it to be concrete. I'm not keen on being locked into one style, either, if I get to have choices. :twisted:
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

kamnet wrote:
And I don't like this option either, unless I'm misunderstanding. In some parts of a map I may need an industry tile that is mud, while in another part of the map I may need it to be concrete. I'm not keen on being locked into one style, either, if I get to have choices. :twisted:
Well, that way you have the option of using [random] overbuilding until you get the surface you want at each station, as proposed by JacobD88. The most player-friendly way would of course be to have separate entries for each station on each basetile, but mart3p mb ruled that one out :-( .
Last edited by FLHerne on 15 Mar 2013 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

FLHerne wrote: Well, that way you have the option of using [random] overbuilding until you get the surface you want at each station, as proposed by JacobD88. The most player-friendly way would of course be to have separate entries for each station on each basetile, but mart3p ruled that one out :( .
Hm, wasn´t that me?
mb wrote: This would increase the number of IDs to be used and the size of the building menu.
mart3p wrote: But it should be possible to select them randomly. By overbuilding enough times you could get the one you want.
regards
Michael
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

That's probably too annoying to maintain, but how about a separate GRF for the alternative surfaces? That way, if you have enough IDs left (are they that much of an issue anyways?) and don't mind clustering you're building menu you can use it, and if not, well, don't ^^

Other than that I'll be content with whatever I get, it's not like for example NewObjects are very comfortable to build and that's not killing me either ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”