Can't Load .GRF File Doesn't Read It

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

maley123
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Can't Load .GRF File Doesn't Read It

Post by maley123 »

My computer doesn't read my grf file it uses paint and i can't change it back to unknown
leader of a Maley's Deluxe Railset
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Fascinating.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Cctoide
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cctoide »

I have to agree with GoneWacko there. That is simply amazing.
Lack of user development is intentional.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I'm still unable to determine how this is a problem with TTDPatch. A problem with the registry, maybe, but not TTDPatch.

But maybe I'm just being dense.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Bastiaan
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Can't Load .GRF File Doesn't Read It

Post by Bastiaan »

maley123 wrote:My computer doesn't read my grf file it uses paint and i can't change it back to unknown
If you tell us more exactly what you did, maybe someone could help you.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

If you're trying to open the .grf file in Paint, you're going about it the wrong way. That's not possible. If you're trying to open the .grf in anything but grfcodec, you're also going about it the wrong way. The only programs that understand grf files are TTDPatch and grfcodec.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

*searches through emoticons*

*doesn't find specified*

You numb-skull!
My, my, my, what a basket full we have here. I've seen stupid, but this, this is downright Dumb! :o
Last known as: Weirdy
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

maley123 the idiot wrote:i can't change it back to unknown
What :?: :!: What's 'unknown'? You can't change it back to unknown... well, you shouldn't have changed it from unknown then should you?

Wait, wait, I think I know what he means...
A GRF file is unrecognised in the Windows MIME database (file extensions) so it would have the .grf on the end. maley123 renamed it to .pcx or .bmp in the hope that it would open in Paint, but it wouldn't, and now he can't change it back to .grf because the file extension's disappeared. Well that's his fault then. :roll:

did anyone notice what i did in the 'quote' title.. hehehe! *jonty giggles manically*
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

jonty-comp wrote:did anyone notice what i did in the 'quote' title.. hehehe! *jonty giggles manically*
You, sir, are a regular Oscar Wilde and no mistake.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Pikka, please be more careful. I got sarcasm all over my shirt now.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Flamelord
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Flamelord »

I imagine it was more a case of "What in the world can I open this with?", followed by his thinking that all GRFs are are series of images, that the game automatically knows what to do with, then trying to specify Paint as the program it opens with, and stupidly leaving the box checked to say that he ALWAYS wanted to open them with that. Silly, silly boy. Should never check that little box.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

jonty-comp, I don't think he knows extensions. Flamelord is right, I guess. So, maley123, you have to do following:
Open My Computer. Open Tools -> Folder Options... menu. Open File Types card. In Registered file types find GRF extension. Click on it and click Delete. That will (probably) solve your problem.
And people, please don't laugh on somebody's stupidity. Everybody makes stupid things.
EDIT: And yes, use GRF Wizard with GRF codec. It's more easier to work with GUI than with command line.
Last edited by Wile E. Coyote on 30 Nov 2005 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Yeah, everyone makes stupid mistakes.
But normally, people learn from them.
That process, if it is takeing place here, is rather slow.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

If he choose harder way, that's his choice. :roll:
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Wile E. Coyote wrote:It's more easier to work with GUI than with command line.
I have to disagree.
To decode, for example 4LongVehiclesw.grf, I type
decode 4Lo<tab><enter>

Re-encoding is the same, except that I start the line with "encode" instead. I do have to type the full filename the first time I encode, though.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

I mean for newbie like him :wink:

The Person
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by The Person »

Wile E. Coyote wrote:I mean for newbie like him :wink:
Not really related to command line, but I had no problems editing the cfgs manually when I found out about them (which I did on my own). Then of course I'm the neighbourhood computer geek. ;)
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

OK people, let's be less sarcastic and help him to understand some things.
You can't edit GRF files directly with any painting program. You must decode GRF file first with GRF codec. Make in your TTDpatch folder new subfolder and name it "sprites". When you decode GRF, you obtain NFO (code) and PCX (picture) files in "sprites" folder. Convert PCX file to PNG or BMP (with photoeditor or other program which can handle these picture formats. i.Mage is good program, you can convert files or work directly with PCX files), edit picture, convert it to PCX (if you worked with other format), and then encode GRF. For beginning, don't touch NFO file.
And remember again: don't try to open GRF with any other program except GRF codec!
Hope that helps. If something is not clear, don't hesitate to ask in this topic, but be more detailed, so people could help you.

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”