Passengers transported = Industry production capacity

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

q_Werty
Engineer
Engineer

Passengers transported = Industry production capacity

Post by q_Werty »

What if there was a feature where an industry would produce cargo based on the number of passengers transported there?

You could make all industries accept passengers, because all industries need workforce. Then, the secondary industries (Industries that make one thing into another) would have a production rate of "something * passengers" and if there was more cargo waiting, it had to wait until the next month.

The Primary industries(Industries that don't need cargo to produce something, such as forests or mines) would need to be a little different. because their production relies heavily on natural resources, i think for each added worker, the next one helps less. So with 100 workers a month you would produce 50 wood, and with 300 you would produce 100, with 900 you would produce 150 and so on. Maybe not exactly like that, but you get the concept.

If the last method was used on secondary industries as well, you would have a system where you would need more than one of each secondary industry, like it is now. That would prove to be more realistic, as well as it would bring a whole new element into the game.

Discuss.
latinoloco
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by latinoloco »

What i would maybe like, the more demand, the more production. So if you've got a forest, that produces lets say, 54. And you have like 5 trains waiting, it might go up in production.

This wouldnt be so good because you dont have to look for the ideal industry, you go for any and use a whole lot of trains. But at least something we can do that will up the production. Like for forest, build trees around it or something we can do to help it.
MEMBER 6772
q_Werty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by q_Werty »

The demand\supply idea has been discussed quite a bit, and the way i see it, it rewards monotomy. The game would be richer and more varied if you were rewarded for using several industries.

If you do it the way i wrote, you see that by supplying a lot of passengers to an industry, you could make a "Superstation", but you would get more bang for the buck if you use several different. That is why i think this is such a brilliant idea.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

This wouldn't be nice to see train full of passengers going in and train full of wood going out of the station...
Like people murdered in the forest :evil:
LKRaider
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LKRaider »

:lol:

Nazi rail network? :roll:
scrooge
Engineer
Engineer

Post by scrooge »

Normally people likes to go back home after work, and it wouldn't be very realistic if all the people just disappeard :). That would mean that you would earn double, wich makes this even a better idea :D
But I think this would make the game more realistic, and therefore better.
latinoloco
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by latinoloco »

I dont think its such a good idea. well, its a good realism idea, but too complicated and advanced for ottd. if it was a game like the sims, then maybe. but nah. you'll need to have night and day then... and too easy to make extra money by taking people from a city to a random place...
MEMBER 6772
Gerk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gerk »

It wouldn't be any good in the interest of fair play. Sure, you folks can preach realism, but this game is a simulation, not a simulator.
q_Werty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by q_Werty »

I understand your views, but it wasn't really a suggestion to improve realism, it was to improve diversity a bit. When i play OTTD i tend to only use one of each of the secondary industries, and transport everything there, and suddenly there are no more industries to build by. All there is to do left is make more trains and better rails, which is fun for a while, but it gets boring.

If noone else want to help me make a patch for this, i might try myself, even with limited c experience.
latinoloco
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by latinoloco »

Good luck, tell us when its done and ill rate it then. Sounds complicated though...
MEMBER 6772

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”