eye candy features like rollercoaster tycoon 2

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

eye candy features like rollercoaster tycoon 2

Post by Wolf01 »

is possible to add new eye candy features, like possibility to build walls, tubes on tracks etc ?
also a good thing would be to improve the shift key when building roads and tracks to place them at different heights without starting from the ground and rise the track (always like rollercoaster tycoon 2)

now is possible only to place the track below the ground by pressing the shift key and this is not bad to start a new patch...

another bad thing that cause me always angry is the transparency... when i want to build subterranean stations, because there is no space in the city, i always have problems by placing tracks, because if you want to delete one piece of track there is a building which is transparent that can't allow you to left-click on the track, or if you have the track tool window opened you bulldoze the building

in rollercoaster tycoon you can make transparent one thing per time or all things together (in loco if you make roads transparents you also make tracks transparent), and if a thing is transparent you can left-click what is behind without remove what is in first plane (except scenario)
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Did you read the license you have accepted when installed Loco?
There is an extra passage covering Patch applications, that they aren't allowed... So there is currently no legal way ...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

Based on that statement I would conclude that anything done to the game by use of the Locotool would be illegal including but not restricted to, new bridges added, new trains added, modified looking trains, etc.. Is this what your saying eis_os?
Olli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Olli »

Theres a dirrerence between patches and modifications.

The locotool compiler only changes/creates the Objects of the game and not the way the game (its GUI and Interfaces) work(s) at all.

For "Half Life" (by Valve) for example you can create a modification with completely different game rules and graphics, but not change its GUI, engine or netcode (only customize within given abilities).
Patches are still managed by the producer to make that 8 year old game still a good selling game (it has gone though 6 different DirectX versions for now).
DarkMatter
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DarkMatter »

Not 8, only 6 (it came out in 1998). It's engine, however, is 8 (Quake II).
"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."
- Christopher Dawson, The Judgment of Nations, 1942
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

The post by Wolf01 clearly shows he wants a game patch..
Modifcations are a different point I don't want to discuss.

LocoTool as far as I know only used informations that are public on the net to write this tool and a lot helpers with try and error system to get the unknown stuff known ...

LocoCodec, there I am 100% sure used only informations provided by James Hughes Website about the sv6 fileformat and try & error system to see if the decompressed data can be read by Loco without crashing...

Ingame, memory patches are clearly forbidden by the license.
It would be surely possible to change ingame behaviours with memory hacks but there is no legal way to do it. You have to first know how Loco works internal...

As far as I know some people will now say that is allowed in their country,
in the EU states I am quite sure it isn't allowed.
http://transpatent.com/gesetze/urhg11.html#69e (German law)
http://www.iuscomp.org/gla/statutes/UrhG.htm (seems to be a english version with a bit older content)
The laws get harmonized in the EU more or less.

If informations created under other laws with reverse engineering, can be used legally isn't covered in any law text I think.

So it would really depend on judges.... (But this is a high risk topic, and even if a lawyer says you are allowed to, you are full responsible not your lawyer)
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
norfolksouthern37
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by norfolksouthern37 »

why do you always bring up the same old things eis_os?

theres no need to even answer this post if you are going to post what you did, you are just causing A LOT of useless argument. the author did not address you specifically, so he didnt ask you to do anything, so why must you bring up the old legal issues every time you post?

if you can do something but wont do it because of legal issues, then i dont give a flying * and im sure nobody else does either. theres no other reason to bring it up unless you are just showing off...

we dont care already.

why not just keep it to yourself?
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

My first post only answered to his question, if it would be possible to do a patch, because Vimp didn't understand my first posting right. As usally people don't try to read and understand the topic messages get posted under I have to go more in detail. (Btw. this message was adressed to all people, so all people can answer including me).

norfolksouthern37, please read the full context something is written.

And for reference:
"... now is possible only to place the track below the ground by pressing the shift key and this is not bad to start a new patch... "

To sum up:
Tools can be written, objects can be created.
Game/Memory Patches can't legally. (So we have to wait for Chris Sawyer)

Chris Sawyer can surely change the behaviour if he likes to...
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

eis_os wrote: Chris Sawyer can surely change the behaviour if he likes to...
But we all know he doesn't give a s*** about patches, you accept his game or you don't, he'll never ever help us
We can complain about that and whine forever, it won't help !!!!!
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
norfolksouthern37
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by norfolksouthern37 »

eis_os wrote:norfolksouthern37, please read the full context something is written.

um, riiight....
wozzar
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by wozzar »

eis_os wrote:The post by Wolf01 clearly shows he wants a game patch..
Modifcations are a different point I don't want to discuss.

Ingame, memory patches are clearly forbidden by the license.
It would be surely possible to change ingame behaviours with memory hacks but there is no legal way to do it. You have to first know how Loco works internal...

As far as I know some people will now say that is allowed in their country,
in the EU states I am quite sure it isn't allowed.
http://transpatent.com/gesetze/urhg11.html#69e (German law)
http://www.iuscomp.org/gla/statutes/UrhG.htm (seems to be a english version with a bit older content)
The laws get harmonized in the EU more or less.

If informations created under other laws with reverse engineering, can be used legally isn't covered in any law text I think.

So it would really depend on judges.... (But this is a high risk topic, and even if a lawyer says you are allowed to, you are full responsible not your lawyer)
The fact is if you don't do it someone else will. And whether or not Atari or CS will go after the person who does do it is another question. Personally i don't think Atari or CS would bother.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

I have no problem if someone else will do it, so any volunteer?
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

sorry, i wasn't able to reply before today...

if i'm not wrong, somewhere in this forum there is a topic where is asked what users want in new patches... here i answered:
1) eye candy features
2) improved construction tool (shift + mouse up\down to change height)
3) improved transparency (you should be able to right-click objects on the 2nd floor without demolish objects in 1st floor)

if we write a list of what features we want to be improved, and we send that list at who is working to new patches (or customer care?), these suggestions may be taken for new patches....
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I would like to be able to perfect my routes with eyecandy, itshald of the fun in RCT and RCT2
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

Aren't you going to play with fire right now?
Those options might really be nice, but risking your future because of it?

I say we should boycot Locomotion, until he accepts to cooperate with patchmakers (I'm not the type to patch anything). But this is just a fiction, it would never happen.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

except everyones already bought a copy here.
Stylpe
Engineer
Engineer

Re: eye candy features like rollercoaster tycoon 2

Post by Stylpe »

Wolf01 wrote:...like possibility to build walls...
You can do that in the scenario editor.
Attachments
Build walls.
Build walls.
BuildWalls.jpg (17.09 KiB) Viewed 5357 times
DarkMatter
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DarkMatter »

I think they're talking about building walls in game, not the scenario editor.
"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."
- Christopher Dawson, The Judgment of Nations, 1942
Stylpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stylpe »

I was planning to say that, but it seems I forgot to =P
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

we are talking to this:
Attachments