Trams! (Work In Progress)

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

RK, you've edited the SW->NE Tracks in the GRF yeah?
Have you decoded the entire GRF? The catenary (overhead wires) is in there too and it would be simple for you to just change the graphics!
RK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RK »

for / \ tracks and streets are used the same pilons. It's quite impossbile to make a compromis there. :?
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Mr. RK.. I want this set to be extensible and since it's still in pre-alpha, I can make life-threatening changes...

Tell me what I should change to allow you to have different catenary.
I'm sure Pikka wont mind if he has to re-Jig his GRF :)
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Different pylons for road-tram and light-rail (no road) tiles would be very nice, and for light-rail they could indeed be between the tracks. That would require a different 3D bounding box though and so would need to be coded differently.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
MJS
Director
Director

End-of-road error?

Post by MJS »

I know bridges, tunnels and rail crossings have not been inserted yet - but does that also include bugs at the end of a road? I found this piece of road turning into a piece of tram track all by itself (second shot has "trams on" and trams grf loaded; alpha 69 pre 1; I'm prepared to post further info if this is not a known error.) Also, I noticed towns building roads crossing my tracks suddenly started to do so also across diagonal pieces of track - thereby straightening my tracks and thus stopping my trains :-( If that's not related to the trams, I'll post this as a proper bug report elsewhere.

Fantastic work, though!
Attachments
SCR17.png
SCR17.png (104.49 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
SCR16.png
SCR16.png (102.82 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

IDEA :idea: Could we have an normal RV and a TRAM one vehicle ID? The Miscellaneous flag 01 would define, is vehicle a tram/light rail vehicle and requires tram tracks to operate or it is a bus/lorry. Then we’ll have 88 IDs for trams. I understand that we’d have problems with their characteristics, but we can use callbacks. As soon as we draw more trams more callbacks may appear and we can give them required characteristics. The same could be done for trolleybuses.
:bow: :bow: Josef, we need more callbacks
Image Image Image Image
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

eis_os wrote:Where are trailers for the trams?! :D
Even without them, this feature is just amazing. We're having a discussion about how a set should organize things, though, and whether or not trams can have trailers (or be articulated, or multipart, etc.) is highly relevant. The argument is whether modern LRVs should be TTD trams, or TTD trains. I think they should be trams because they can run on roads, and as trains they're pretty weak. Dan thinks that, since they can be quite long and act like a train, they should be restricted as such. But I don't think anyone would ever use them then.

If it's unlikely that trams would have trailers, the argument is moot.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Hold on one minute... I said the Electroliner should be a train like the rest of the interurbans. LRV's and such should be RV's. Ken, please read before you type.
RK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RK »

Coding it as road or rail vehicle has both fatal consequences. road vehicles are not articulated and rail vehicles need a lot of space and in cities we don't have space.
So you have to do big code changes (almost done now :wink:) to make a compromise there.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Well, I don´t see the point as well. Street running may be more common in the US than over here but o/c in the TTD realm there´s no real use in having trains as trams, only because originally they´d be running on streets as well.

regards
Michael
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: End-of-road error?

Post by stevenh »

MJS wrote:I found this piece of road turning into a piece of tram track all by itself
MJS, I've seen this weird-ness going on and I've been trying to combat it. Previously, the AI was just slapping it's busstops in the middle of the street... I've solved that..
The whole "Towns building tram tracks" will only happen if you have the tram toolbar visible :? ... am working on a fix.
MJS wrote:Also, I noticed towns building roads crossing my tracks suddenly started to do so also across diagonal pieces of track - thereby straightening my tracks and thus stopping my trains :-( If that's not related to the trams, I'll post this as a proper bug report elsewhere.
This sounds like another bug introduced by me, thanks for finding it.
I want to get all these little b****** out before I work on tunnels/bridges/etc...
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

krtaylor wrote:If it's unlikely that trams would have trailers, the argument is moot.
Well, the Victorian Tram Set I am working on requires articulated trams, so limiting it to roadvehicles only would be rather moot too ;)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

so, because trams have special depots, could we remove normal buses and roads from tram depots?
Image Image Image Image
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

'We' could.... I want bridges/tunnels/town expansion working first.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

stevenh wrote:'We' could.... I want bridges/tunnels/town expansion working first.
Sorry, I meant via grf code, and of cause the patch code for that is yours and we highly appreciate your work :bow: :bow:
Image Image Image Image
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Bah, I didn't mean it like that! 8)
I meant that ... if you want it to be 'We'... then please learn assembler and come and help me!! :D

I do believe i'd have to write it into the patchcode to get the depots to only show one or the other (trams OR RVs).

Right now that's not a high priority :P
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

stevenh wrote:Bah, I didn't mean it like that! 8)
I meant that ... if you want it to be 'We'... then please learn assembler and come and help me!! :D
Well, I learned assembler and coded on it 11 years ago. But I do not want to do it again :wink:. I hope I'd be more usefull for TTD community as graphics artist :)
stevenh wrote:I do believe i'd have to write it into the patchcode to get the depots to only show one or the other (trams OR RVs).
Yes, and in some future RVs or Trams or Trolleybuses (Do not understand it as I say you to do it, it may happen whenever you decide to do it :roll: )
stevenh wrote:Right now that's not a high priority :P
That is ok :wink:
Image Image Image Image
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

AFAIA, most tram depots were also used for busses?

By all means make it so that trams require a tram depot, but I don't think *only* trams should be buildable in a tram depot. Similar to the way the electric train depots work.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

yep especialy since trams can run on road with rails or just rails so its a matter of just taring the depot so rvs can use it.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

PikkaBird wrote:AFAIA, most tram depots were also used for busses?
I do not know how it works in other countries, but here buses, trams and trolleybuses have different depots.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “General TTDPatch”