Tropic Station Set [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What variants of copper ore unloading station do you like?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2007 12:11

23%
27%
16%
19%
15%

Total votes: 62

OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Purno wrote: ... I assume that removes all action-color pixels, even if they're supposed to be there?
That's correct unfortunately.
lifeblood wrote:This is what I do in photoshop. I've never had too many problems with ...
Don't say that too loud ... any colour selection that is also an action colour comes to me as action colour (just ask Gare Centrale, the most recent one) - Nowadays, I just fix them before processing the sprites without any mention.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

I spoke too soon! I'll revise: Photoshop causes it's share of problems, but it has drawing and editing features that can't be found in MSpaint that make it worthwhile.

Sorry for the OT.

These tropic stations are looking quite nice. I'd recommend doing some passenger stations based on real ones. :D
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

OzTransLtd wrote:any colour selection that is also an action colour comes to me as action colour
But there aren't, to the best of my knowledge, any normal colours in the pallette that are the same as the action colours...
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I added the brown loaders (the beam thingies). MeusH forgot to include these in his file with sprites, but I managed to extract them from a mockup on one of the previous pages.
Attachments
In Soviet Rusia, screenshot looks at YOU!!
In Soviet Rusia, screenshot looks at YOU!!
Blubberbury Transport, 24th Oct 2050.png (34.46 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

cool *gives XeryusTC a coockie
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

In Soviet Russia, cookie eats YOU!
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

White Rabbit wrote:In Soviet Russia, cookie eats YOU!
[OT]You need two exclamation marks[/OT]

And thank you robotboy
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Cool, these stations are looking great! :D
Just one thought though... the problem with many new stations is they feel a little lifeless. Im thinking maybe try adding some crates or shapes of sorts in the shed where you can see inside. It just looks empty at the moment. :)

Below is a poor quality photoshop TM (;))I have done to show kinda what I mean...
Attachments
Sheds_with_crates.png
Sheds_with_crates.png (25.35 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I changed the regular platforms to show the sandy ones on desert tiles and the brown/grey ones on other tiles (grass, rainforest etc.). This is mainly as experiment for me to learn callbacks and stuff so I don't know if MeusH wants to keep it.
There are 2 screenshots included.

(This only works from r8391 and up in OTTD)
Attachments
After building.
After building.
SCR2.png (77.42 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Before building.
Before building.
SCR1.png (74.23 KiB) Viewed 504 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Very nice job :) Thanks!
Some things has been said on IRC, but as for station automatically changing its look basing on ground sprite, not now, not this one.
As for "loaders (the beam thingies)", there are too many supports - the silver structures. I wanted just one support per platform. A small coding excersise for you :) Edit: So that the two sprites, these just above "ic Station Set - Ve" would be used only once, at the end of the loader

How about maize loading station?

I'll work some more on sheds to finalize that station. I'll use Akalamanaia's idea on ramps.
How about orange rooftiles? IIRC I gave you two shed sprites to get rid of shadows between shed tiles, didn't I? Edit: I did
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Ok, I will remove the automatic changing of sprites. I didn't like it anyway after I was done with it, but it was a good exercise for me to learn callbacks and variational action2s :).
And on the loader support thingies, I will try to take a look at that, but I can't promise that I will get them like you want it, but I'll try my best.
And for the shed, I didn't notice that you had 2 sets of those sheds until you said it just now, I'll take a look at those too.
Oh, and you need to change your brown/grey platfroms so the squares line up properly when 2 platforms are build next to each other. See one of the screenshots I posted, you'll understand what I mean.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

here, something that likes callbacks and variational action2s :)
And now I'll go draw something, cya soon
Attachments
waypoint_wooden_finished.png
waypoint_wooden_finished.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Thanks. I've made them a while ago but I'm happy you like them :)

The grain elevator seems to be ready. Now a few details:

The overhead loader with a vertical pipe is meant to be the first loader. Sprite to the right will be second (or maybye even third) loader.
The sprite with pink colour is a background part of a tile that consists also of the overhead loader, sprite 60px away to the left. This is the overhead loader located at the back side of silo.
Leftmost sprites are waypoints

Now about size: My idea is to limit the grain elevator to 4 tiles in length and 5 tiles in width, plus two additional free space tiles, that would make length of 6 and with of 5

Code: Select all

Maximum size?
.,O,.
.,O,.
--O--
..X..

. either bare ground or small ofice (with barrels)
, either bare ground or overhead loader
- overhead loader
O silo tile
X silo and office tile
How about wider loaders? Like ---O?
Any ideas, please? How about some more details? What would you like to see scattered around the station?
Thanks for replies, cheers
Attachments
maize3_parts.png
maize3_parts.png (13.38 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Wowie, more proof that I should come back on this forum :shock:
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

XeryusTC, is that what you mean with dividing sprites?
Attachments
maize3_parts2.png
maize3_parts2.png (14.31 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

MeusH wrote:XeryusTC, is that what you mean with dividing sprites?
Yes, it is perfect :).
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

A small teaser for you people! I coded the waypoints :).
Attachments
waypoint.png
waypoint.png (10.03 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Thanks Darkmast49!
Great job XeryusTC :) But why is that semaphore thing on the wooden station is blue instead of red? Have I used wrong colours?

tada the Grain elevator btw
Attachments
maize3_parts2.png
maize3_parts2.png (14.54 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

MeusH wrote:Great job XeryusTC :) But why is that semaphore thing on the wooden station is blue instead of red? Have I used wrong colours?
Probably because I forgot to put on company color remapping :oops:.

Edit: fixed
Attachments
waypoint-fixed.png
waypoint-fixed.png (4.52 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

Return to “Graphics Development”