Rumors i want checked

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
Stylesjl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Rumors i want checked

Post by Stylesjl »

Okay heard some rumors on the net these are the two questions i have

1) Does a power station (with coal delivered) influence in any way the nearby town growth

2) Does placing obstacles (like buildings, trees, mountains) in front of or behind airports (small or large) affect in any way plane crashes or the random seed genonarator

Maybe the answer will be no but i don't know whether either are true or false

Thanks in advance :wink:
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

1) noone ones, maybe Marcin will do it in future
2) no, plane crashing is not affected by and building/object near airport
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Rick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rick »

Erm for number two i made a scenario with a massive mountian on and put an airport on top.
Let me say the aircraft didnt like it and there was a few crashes :)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Rick wrote:Erm for number two i made a scenario with a massive mountian on and put an airport on top.
Let me say the aircraft didnt like it and there was a few crashes :)
well it depends on your lucky ..... sometimes I also had an airport which had few crashes in few year (1-2 crashes every year) but it has nothing to do with surroundings, only random
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Sokko
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Sokko »

He's absolutely right. Any crashes you had then were pure coincidence. I tried raising a mountain in front of an airport, the plane doesn't even touch it on the way down or up; the initial angle is too steep. I think it was specifically designed that way so the planes would never appear to go through mountains and screw up the graphics engine.
How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol hordes got bored?
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Rumors i want checked

Post by Patchman »

Stylesjl wrote:1) Does a power station (with coal delivered) influence in any way the nearby town growth

2) Does placing obstacles (like buildings, trees, mountains) in front of or behind airports (small or large) affect in any way plane crashes or the random seed genonarator
1) All active stations within a town's transport limit make it grow faster, up to a limit of five active stations. See Marcin's explanation of the town growth limit switch.

2) No, not in any way at all. It is entirely random.
Rick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rick »

Sokko wrote:He's absolutely right. Any crashes you had then were pure coincidence. I tried raising a mountain in front of an airport, the plane doesn't even touch it on the way down or up; the initial angle is too steep. I think it was specifically designed that way so the planes would never appear to go through mountains and screw up the graphics engine.
This was on top of mountain and no joke there was 3 crashes in one year
way_2_fun
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by way_2_fun »

Well how many planes were going to the airport ? If you have 10 planes going to 1 airport, your chances of a crash in 1 year are very good, compared to 1 or 2 planes.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Did anyone mention that fast modern planes crash more on small airports ???
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
Stylesjl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Rumors i want checked

Post by Stylesjl »

Patchman wrote:
Stylesjl wrote:1) Does a power station (with coal delivered) influence in any way the nearby town growth

1) All active stations within a town's transport limit make it grow faster, up to a limit of five active stations. See Marcin's explanation of the town growth limit switch.

2) No, not in any way at all. It is entirely random.

1) I thought this only inclued stations transporting mail, pessangers, and goods
2) I had a feeling it was no but i heard it makes the thing worse for planes but its just coincidence
way_2_fun
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by way_2_fun »

spaceman-spiff wrote:Did anyone mention that fast modern planes crash more on small airports ???
Nope. :P
Rick
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rick »

spaceman-spiff wrote:Did anyone mention that fast modern planes crash more on small airports ???
That might of been the prob :) cant remember it was ages ago.
Stylesjl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Stylesjl »

Rick wrote:
That might of been the prob :) cant remember it was ages ago.

According to the manual a jet plane has 1 in 20 chance of crashing if trying to land at a small airport

The nomal crash prob is 1 in 1500

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”