noob question about long bridges :\

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Tkar
Engineer
Engineer

noob question about long bridges :\

Post by Tkar »

I used to play a lot openttd, but i forgot about the game :roll: Which is a shame, because it's one of my all-time favorites... now there are a few things that i cannot remember anymore.

For example, i have started a new game and now i'm in 1987 and i cannot build long train bridges beyond their maximum lenght. Only the suspension Steel Golden Bridge is available.

I have 7 grf installed and my game version is 12.1. My max. bridge size is set to 4.096.

I already installed the patch but it didn't work.

After reading some answers in the forum, i know you gonna say about the bridges speed limit, but i like them nonetheless. Besides, i'm building slowly and i only have so far 7 million available. :mrgreen:

How can i build long steel cantilever bridges? :oops: Thanks.
kamnet

Re: noob question about long bridges :\

Post by kamnet »

"i cannot build long train bridges beyond their maximum length... My max bridge size is set to 4.096."

Yes, that is a hard-set maximum limit. But, why do you need bridges spanning the entire map? That's beyond excessive.
Tkar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tkar »

I don't.

Thing is, a 68 size bridge over a body of water, for example, only allows me steel bridges at 112km\h or wood bridges. The steel Red Bridge is limited to the normal max. size of 11.

i just can't figure it out the definition to build this type of long bridges, because i clearly remember it was possible to do so.
Last edited by Tkar on 14 Apr 2024 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Okay, so despite setting a long length in the game settings, it's still not building longer bridges?

Open your openttd.cfg file, and confirm the value for the setting max_bridge_length
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Most types of bridges have a minimum and maximum allowed length. For example, the red steel bridge can be between 5 and 11 tiles long. These limits cannot be changed in the settings, but there are add-ons that provide bridges with different length limits.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

odisseus wrote: 14 Apr 2024 08:21 Most types of bridges have a minimum and maximum allowed length. For example, the red steel bridge can be between 5 and 11 tiles long. These limits cannot be changed in the settings, but there are add-ons that provide bridges with different length limits.
This doesn't seem factual for default bridges. After setting the max bridge length to 500, I was able to build the red steel bridge to 500 tiles long. So I'm not sure what issue is being encountered here.
Tkar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tkar »

Here's what i did: changed the max lenght to 500. No impact in the current game. Then i created a new game to start in 2020 and i'm able to create tubular, steel and wood bridges beyond their max size, both on sea and land. However, the 3 cantilever bridges are nowhere to been seen, except if i try to build on until their maximum size limits. No cantilever bridge is available at size 12. This is very strange. ?(

Maybe something to do with any of the grf?
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

kamnet wrote: 14 Apr 2024 10:58 This doesn't seem factual for default bridges. After setting the max bridge length to 500, I was able to build the red steel bridge to 500 tiles long. So I'm not sure what issue is being encountered here.
Are you sure you don't have any add-ons?

For what it's worth, the Wiki says that each type of bridge (even the wooden bridge) has its own minimum and maximum length.

The source code seems to confirm this, even though some values from the Wiki are incorrect.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Tkar wrote: 14 Apr 2024 12:52 Maybe something to do with any of the grf?
What NewGRF are you using that affects bridges?
Tkar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tkar »

No idea.

I'm creating new games with all my grf deactivated. The same thing happens. Have all bridges available for longer lengths except the 3 cantilevers.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

AH! Okay, I've misunderstood what's going on, because I missed the last line in the very first post that you were specifically talking about the cantilever bridges.

*sighs* I'm sorry.

Yes, the Cantilever bridges have a restricted length of between 5 and 12 tiles, that's by design. You will need to use a NewGRF bridge set such as Total Bridge Renewal Set, U&Bridges or JP+ Bridges to get cantilever bridges of longer lengths.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”