What file are GRF's stored in?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Clanority
Engineer
Engineer

What file are GRF's stored in?

Post by Clanority »

I downloaded a GRF and it hasn't showed up in the Inactive NewGRF files so I thought I could move it to the GRF folder, but I dont know what its called.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: What file are GRF's stored in?

Post by jfs »

On Windows:
Documents\OpenTTD\newgrf\

And content you get from the in-game content downloader are placed under the Documents\OpenTTD\content_download\ folder, but you should not put files inside that yourself. The game looks for files in both places, and can use from both places at the same time too.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

jfs wrote: 10 Apr 2024 17:22 On Windows:
Documents\OpenTTD\newgrf\

And content you get from the in-game content downloader are placed under the Documents\OpenTTD\content_download\ folder, but you should not put files inside that yourself
Why not? I do it all the time and never experienced any problems ...
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The question is why would you? There's no advantage to putting your own files in there.
As far as I know, the reason the in-game content downloader puts downloaded files under the content_download folder is so you don't have to look at the mess and ugly filenames it creates, and so it's easier to distinguish files you downloaded/created manually. It can be useful to distinguish files you obtained yourself, and files obtained from BaNaNaS. That's all.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The advantage for me is that I have them collected in one folder with subfolders that I manage. But my setup is also unique in that I have all default directories symlinked to one set of directories tied to my Google Drive so that files are synced to multiple computers. I'm also quite active with my file management and doing this allows me to organize downloads by who released them and by date, along with other archival data such as source files that are no longer available online and links to forum topics or archives of websites where they used to be hosted.

Yes, I'm weird.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”