Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

About translation UI

Post by Jubilee »

Hello.

I recently played with the translation UI and while it does its job, it could use some enhancements. Is it a UI made by someone on the team? Can it be modified (if not, there is no point on discussing any ideas for it :) )?
-----
Chaney 'Jubilee' (Steam powered)
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: About translation UI

Post by 2TallTyler »

Yes, the tool is on GitHub:
https://github.com/OpenTTD/eints
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

Great, thanks for the pointer. I'll proceed with a few suggestions then.
  • When clicking on a language, all translation strings appear in a single screen, grouped by Status. it would be nice if under or over each translation, the original text also existed. That way, one could just take a quick look and see if the quality is acceptable or it needs corrections. Some separators would be nice in this case.
  • It would also be nice if there was a mode in which the user could see at the left the list of stings and when clicking on one, all editing controls for it appeared on the right. With today's larger screens, it could be feasible to see everything in one screen. Also in that mode, when saving, the list could remain in the last shown string, not be refreshed and force the user to start from the top again.
  • In that mode, one could filter the list by Status (so saving should fetch the next item from that specific status, not a random text).
  • The list could also be filtered by a keyword, so the next item would be an item containing the filtered word (translated text, not original).
-----
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It would be best if you opened up individual requests over on the Eints Github page, and even better still if you can pull the code and post a patch for each change for the developers to review, critique and approve.
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

kamnet wrote: 02 Apr 2024 06:09It would be best if you opened up individual requests over on the Eints Github page
Great, i'll do that.
kamnet wrote: 02 Apr 2024 06:09and even better still if you can pull the code and post a patch for each change for the developers to review, critique and approve.
Well, I might have done that if i could. Unfortunately, web development is not my forte...
-----

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”