Happy 20th birthday OpenTTD!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Happy 20th birthday OpenTTD!

Post by orudge »

[This is a copy of the blog post on openttd.org]

If you don’t know me, I’m Owen Rudge, and have been involved in the online Transport Tycoon community for almost 25 years. Exactly 21 years ago, I received an ICQ message (look it up, kids) out of the blue from a guy named Ludvig Strigeus (nicknamed Ludde). “Hello, you probably don’t know me, but I’ve been working on a project to clone TTD for a while.” he said, more or less. He didn’t want to release this to the public yet, and wasn’t entirely sure what he was going to do with it. (He’d been working on it since 30th June 2002, so I guess that is technically the birthday of what would become OpenTTD…) Ludde sent me a copy of what he’d been working on, and it was very exciting indeed. It was a fully functional version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe, written in C. Admittedly incomplete at that time, it was still quite remarkable.

To put things in context, in 2004, the Transport Tycoon community generally enjoyed playing the classic Transport Tycoon Deluxe with the excellent TTDPatch started by Josef Drexler. The original Transport Tycoon games only ran on DOS and Windows 95/98, and TTDPatch allowed us to play on the then-current Windows XP, while adding a huge number of exciting features, such as the ability to use third-party graphics and vehicle sets. TTDPatch was an amazing piece of software, but there were always some fundamental limitations - the map size couldn’t be changed, extra cargo types couldn’t be added, multiplayer was difficult to improve, and so on. So having an almost fully-functional clone of TTD, written in a high-level programming language, suddenly appear out of nowhere got people very excited indeed.

Ludde made more progress with the project over the coming year, and it looks like we even attempted some multiplayer games (not too reliable, especially over my dial-up connection at the time). Eventually, when he was happy with what he had created, he agreed to allow me to release the game as open source. Coincidentally, this happened exactly a year after I’d first spoken to him, on the 6th March 2004. But first, it needed a name. I don’t think I thought very much about it, but decided that “OpenTTD” had a nice ring to it, so registered a SourceForge project, created an OpenTTD forum on TT-Forums, and set it loose. OpenTTD 0.1 was released. You can still download it if you want to see what it was like, though it’s not particularly straightforward to run!

Things really got going after this, and a community started to form with enthusiastic developers fixing bugs, adding in new features, and smoothing off the rough edges. Ludde was, I think, a bit taken aback by how popular it proved, and even rejoined the development effort for a while. A read through the old changelogs reveals just how many features were added over a very short period of time. Quick wins like higher vehicle limits came in very quickly, and support for TTDPatch’s NewGRF format started to be functional just four months later. Large maps, improved multiplayer, better pathfinders, improved TTDPatch compatibility, and of course, ports to a great many different operating systems, such as Mac OS X, BeOS, MorphOS and OS/2. It was a very exciting time to be a TTD fan!

Within six years, ambitious projects to create free replacements for the original TTD graphics, sounds and music sets were complete, and OpenTTD finally had its 1.0 release. And while we may not have the same frantic addition of new features we had in 2004, there have still been massive improvements to the code, with plenty of exciting new features over the years, with major releases every year since 2008. The move to GitHub in 2018 and the release of OpenTTD on Steam in 2021 have also re-energised development efforts, with thousands of people now enjoying playing the game regularly. And development shows no signs of slowing down, with the upcoming OpenTTD 14.0 release including over 40 new features!

When I released Ludde’s work back in 2004, I don’t think I could have anticipated where OpenTTD would be ten years later, let alone twenty. Personally, I would like to say thank you to everyone who has supported OpenTTD development over the past two decades - first to Ludde, who has gone on to be an incredibly successful and influential developer. Of course, there have been many developers who have contributed so much over the years, plus the graphics artists and other content developers who have created a wealth of wonderful add-ons for the game. I’d like to also thank everyone who has donated money to cover server costs, and indeed the dedicated folk who maintain that infrastructure (especially TrueBrain, without whom the OpenTTD project in its current form probably wouldn’t exist). We must also show our appreciation for Chris Sawyer for the amazing game that inspired OpenTTD in the first place. Finally, of course, I’d like to thank you, the players! None of us would be here if people weren’t still playing the game.

Seeing how the first twenty years have gone, I can’t wait to see what the next twenty years have in store. :)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Happy 20th birthday OpenTTD!

Post by jfs »

I was there. In fact I was also sent one of those very early builds by Ludde, but at the time dismissed and deleted it.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Happy anniversary, and I can only second the thanks to all contributors!

I have posted a short German summary of the most important milestones and events last night over at: https://www.tt-ms.de/home/

Owen, any chance you still have a version prior to 0.1 that you could share? (With Ludde's approval if necessary, of course.)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Roman wrote: 06 Mar 2024 12:23 Owen, any chance you still have a version prior to 0.1 that you could share? (With Ludde's approval if necessary, of course.)
I think these are the oldest binaries I have, dated Feb 2003. They'll need the TTD (for Windows, I think) GRF files, sample.cat, and possibly 'gm' folder. Ludde's old CVS repository, dating back to the literal first bit of code, is also available here.
Attachments
openttd_feb2003.zip
(165.76 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Amazing, thanks! Extracted the archive, dumped the contents from the Windows CD of TTD into the folder and hit ttd.exe, that took me right into the game. No main menu screen apparently, interesting.
Kurek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kurek »

Happy 20th and here's to 20 more! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to OpenTTD over the years, you've provided countless hours of enjoyment.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Ludde deserves more than just flowers for everything he's done. But, he's probably quite wealthy by now and he can just buy it for himself ;)

We must also give Chris Sawer the same respect, not only for creating Transport Tycoon, but for giving us the space to take the game to the next level. A lesser man would have let ego and jealousy get in the way and tried to move in and crush it.

It would be great if everybody who was here in the beginning to make this happen, whether through code contribution, graphics, or just encouraging discussion and daydreaming, were here with us today to celebrate. I'm truly amazed at just how long and successful this project has become.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

I played around a bit with Ludde's old CVS repo. Checked out the oldest version (1.1) from the 30th June 2002, opened it in Visual Studio 6.0, installed SDL (available from the glorious Wayback Machine), built the Release version, extracted the TTD Win graphics to the Release folder, extracted also title.dat and renamed it TRT00.SV0, and then ran ttd.exe. It's very buggy, has no sound, no vehicles, no companies, and apparently no game loop at all, but some basics are there. You can build railway tracks! :D
openttd_cvs1.1.1.1.gif
openttd_cvs1.1.1.1.gif (163.52 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Given how advanced this version already is (most things in the source code have meaningful names), Ludde must have started disassembling TTD quite a bit before June 2002...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hmm, I guess so! He only started ScummVM in September 2001, according to Wikipedia, then released it a month after, so presumably started on this sometime after he’d finished with ScummVM.
accipiter2000
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by accipiter2000 »

Great job, I've been playing this game on and off for over 20 years, starting from Transport Tycoon Deluxe. It's been a part of my cherished memories.
Thank you for your dedication!
My most satisfying game session.
viewtopic.php?p=1267789
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

15 years since my first post .. but this is not about me ...

Happy Birthday and Thank You all involved. :bow:
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

orudge wrote: 06 Mar 2024 23:46 Hmm, I guess so! He only started ScummVM in September 2001, according to Wikipedia, then released it a month after, so presumably started on this sometime after he’d finished with ScummVM.
If this is true, then Ludde started coding OpenTTD less than a year after TTDPatch 1.7 supported the Windows version for the first time in February 2001...
kkidslogin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kkidslogin »

Happy birthday! Can't claim to be there but am happy nonetheless :lol:
Certified forum helper ©. Also active in the Scratch forums, where I have over 2300 posts as of the last count.

Played OpenTTD since 1.4.4 8)
AntoninKyrene
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AntoninKyrene »

Hi, my name is Marc. Thank you for inviting me to Transports Anonymous.

I am completely and thoroughly addicted to OpenTTD. It started in the 1990's when I got married to my first crush... and purchased my first generation of hopelessly-addictive gaming from a place you may remember: Egghead Software. Oh, it wasn't just TT at the time - there were so many video games from that era, and so much 'stuff' to behold. Why, I purchased my first set of OS/2 discs from them - talk about nostalgia! Did anyone else here blow more than their disposable income on places like this, the golden age of home computing, before the monopolies began to run amok?

I was treatable at time - TT and TTD had some significant limitations; however, after someone released a patch for the game, I lost all hope of returning to a normal life. Critical personal, financial and career decisions revolved around two questions: do I have to wear a tie to work, and will this fit into my preferred TT / TTD / TTDPatch / OpenTTD scheduling blocks? Oh, I don't have to wear dress clothes AND I can play on salaried time? Sign me up for that! And someone said there was a place on the Internet where other addicts gathered to share in this bliss, to improve upon this masterpiece, and to generally shun real work for real imagination? Sign me up for that! Wait, there's a reverse engineering project underway to perfect beauty in such a fine form? I can support that - say hello to my PayPal account!

20+ years later - retired and still married to the other love of my life - and only one thing has changed. The gaming workstation - it runs OpenTTD and Factorio simultaneously. Yes, this is my confession. I am living sinfully, indulging in a digitally polygamous life full of isometric railroads and conveyor belts. Will there be redemption for addicts like me, who gave up opportunities for higher professional achievement to have more fun and less work? Will I ever dream without visions of FISH and CHIPS and and biters again? Is there hope I will forgo this wasteful existence and finally open a social media account? Will I ever think of music again without primitive MIDI tracks streaming through my subconscious?

No.
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

Happy 20th Birthday! OpenTDD! :P How old was I 20 years ago?

Christopher Tarana
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Wow, was 1.0 really 14 years ago? I guess that makes sense with 14.0 due for release any time now, but still... in my head OpenTTD was in beta for AGES. I guess that's true, but mentally I felt like it was only 5 years ago v1.0 launched. I wonder if Ludde ever checks back on his creation. It's incredible how much of the software I use that he's been involved in

What an amazing project this is, and how much enjoyment it's brought to so many people. I dip in and out every couple of years but it's always been here when I come back to provide another few months of gaming

At the end of the day the community is what makes an Open Source game, so cheers to you all.
Jon
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

audigex wrote: 02 Apr 2024 09:28 Wow, was 1.0 really 14 years ago? I guess that makes sense with 14.0 due for release any time now, but still... in my head OpenTTD was in beta for AGES. I guess that's true, but mentally I felt like it was only 5 years ago v1.0 launched. I wonder if Ludde ever checks back on his creation. It's incredible how much of the software I use that he's been involved in
Pleasingly, he popped onto IRC shortly after I published this blog post - apparently he does still keep an eye on things now and then at least. :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”