Trains carrying cars

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MMewtwosaysbye
Engineer
Engineer

Trains carrying cars

Post by MMewtwosaysbye »

I don't know if this is just a me problem but whenever a factory or service goes out of business I now have vehicles a long ways from where they could be useful. Most people (I think) have train tracks that go around their map so why not put in train cars that can carry road vehicles? There can be a little loading station to purchase so it works but I think it would make overall gameplay a little easier and more fun.
Auge
Director
Director

Re: Trains carrying cars

Post by Auge »

Hello

The problem here is, that in the game a vehicle is a vehicle and not a freight item and vehicles itself can only transport freight (items) but not other vehicles. This is a limitation of the game.

The patchpack JGRPP contains a feature to generate a road network, that connects the towns with (more or less) each other (if they are not separated by sea) when beginning a new game. That makes it possible to move road vehicles to another task in another section of the map. I don't know if this is a patch, that is only available in this patchpack, or if it is a gamescript that you could also run in the vanilla game.

If so, this would solve your problem, even if it is not the exact realisation of your idea.

Tschö, Auge
kamnet

Re: Trains carrying cars

Post by kamnet »

MMewtwosaysbye wrote: 07 Feb 2024 15:34 I don't know if this is just a me problem but whenever a factory or service goes out of business I now have vehicles a long ways from where they could be useful. Most people (I think) have train tracks that go around their map so why not put in train cars that can carry road vehicles? There can be a little loading station to purchase so it works but I think it would make overall gameplay a little easier and more fun.
Honestly, the most efficient use of your time, money and resources are to sell off the vehicles and buy new ones rather than trying to coordinate transport of various empty vehicles across the map at a significant loss of profit and vehicle value. This is such a viable strategy that at least one AI employs a method of buying a vehicle, sending it across the map with cargo, dropping load and then immediately selling the vehicle while it still has its highest value.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”