Fairy's Finescale UK Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Fairy's Finescale UK Set

Post by Fairyfloss »

Goodness it's been almost a year huh.

I cast a Necromancy spell to bring this thread back because I! Have news!

So yes, it's been almost a year. My brain has this fun feature where it gives me no control over what I can work on, and life has it's way of doing life things that prevent me from doing things I want but! I've found time and energy to work on this some more! Which is what I've been doing the past five days; rewriting what I had to make it better! (And so that future me will hate past/current me less if I end up on another break gets back to work on this)
ukfs.png
ukfs.png (126.89 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Essentially: A lot of locomotives and passenger wagons. All come in a few livery options: Full CC1 and Full CC2 for all vehicles, and 2CC and Inverted 2CC for vehicles that use two company colours:
ccshowoff.png
ccshowoff.png (12.1 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
In addition to that, several new locomotives and wagons that weren't in UKRS2 have been added, either drawn by contributors on the discord, or by using sprites that are used as appearance variations in the original UKRS2 (The split in passenger wagons, for example). Everything with a greyed-out name in the buymenu is that way because it comes with at least 2 'variants': meaning the same locomotive, but with a very different appearance that isn't just "Let's dye this thing a different colour"!

And because I want people to play around with this, I've attached the current version of the .grf to this post! I will warn, though, that there are definitely bugs, and it's absolutely unfinished, but there's only so much I can do on my own. Report bugs preferably on discord (where I can more quickly post fixed versions), but feel free to do so here too.
ukfs.grf
(14.96 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
As for what's next... a few days' break, maybe, depending on if my brain will let me. Then, cargo wagons, followed by some functionality tweaks (making Multiple Units only able to couple the MU Wagon, giving Articulated Carriages the observation wagon, some funky shunting feature for Tank Engines, maybe DBSO's/DVT's). I will also, of course be adding new sprites if people draw them. I've got a little wishlist, if people feel like drawing finescale stuff:
[+] Spoiler
- An LSWR 0298 (I like the idea of having all types of Tank engine in this set. We already have some Pannier Tanks, some Saddle Tanks and some Side Tanks)
- USATC S100
- LNER M2/Metropolitan G
- Metropolitan Railways 'Metro-Vick'
- Blue Pullman (Apparently hard to get looking right in finescale)
- Different sprites/locomotives to fit the slots of the Goods II & Goods III locomotives.
- Freight Wagons (I love the amount of freight options in Iron Horse. Too bad it isn't finescale. More Freight Wagons are welcome)
- Other stuff, of course. Timberwolf's set is great for inspiration.

And some fictional designs that would be appreciated:
- Finescale versions of the UKRS1 Fuel Cell locomotives, or something similar
- Maybe a full version of one of these random designs I bashed together
- This 4-4-4 from a series I watched
And for those curious:
The sheet I use to give everything stats.
The Github where you can find all the sources and stuff

In any case, that is all from me for now! I hope you all have a pleasant holiday period and a happy new year and all the good stuff! And hopefully the next time I post here will be before 2024 is almost done!
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Great! :)
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

Hello

What are the function of buffets? It seems that they cannot lower the running costs or increase the comfort (cargo_age_period) of passenger trains.
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 22 Dec 2023 04:14 Hello

What are the function of buffets? It seems that they cannot lower the running costs or increase the comfort (cargo_age_period) of passenger trains.
Eyecandy for the foreseeable future, that might change in the future, but it's a low priority for me at this time.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The freight cars are missing at the early start, so the set is currently unusable on its own, otherwise I didn't notice any extra bugs.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Argus wrote: 28 Dec 2023 18:25 The freight cars are missing at the early start, so the set is currently unusable on its own, otherwise I didn't notice any extra bugs.
Yes, as mentioned in the post, I'm still working on implementing cargo wagons, but I'm getting close to getting that finished! Hopefully will get it out before the end of the year! Just need to touch up a few things here and there.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

No problem, for now I'll keep in mind that this set needs to be used in combination with another.
I do it this way with other sets, which are sometimes only passenger, maybe on purpose. :)
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Argus wrote: 28 Dec 2023 18:25 The freight cars are missing at the early start, so the set is currently unusable on its own, otherwise I didn't notice any extra bugs.
Freight Shenanigans. Not nearly done, but likely as done as I'll get it before the year is over. Freight Wagons are implemented, and all but the Cartic/Freightliner have loading sprites, though primarily placeholders, with not a lot of testing done. Currently all open wagons always look like they're carrying coal when they're loaded because I don't yet have sprites to depict other cargotypes, but at least you'll be able to tell if your train is loaded or not.
ukfs.grf
(15.37 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I had to rename the file, otherwise I would overwrite the original one that I already have in my save game. It would be better to put the version number in the title before it goes bananas
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Argus wrote: 30 Dec 2023 14:57 I had to rename the file, otherwise I would overwrite the original one that I already have in my save game. It would be better to put the version number in the title before it goes bananas
Yes, these are all still just development releases; though I am getting close to something I'd be willing to consider a 1.0 release. Just needs some more polish before I'm happy enough to do so. Once I feel it's ready to be called 1.0, I'll make sure to properly do version numbering and put it on bananas.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

In any case, it is already a great replacement for UKRS, which is completely unusable with modern industrial sets - and as far as I know, no one is going to fix it.

Return to “Graphics Development”