Train loading bugged

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Train loading bugged

Post by Redirect Left »

rblb wrote: 11 Dec 2023 19:46That should be fixed as well, because it is a bug, it's bugging the player.
Not the definition of a bug.
Also of course, if you provide a savegame of that, it will be a lot easier to resolve. It could be caused by any number of issues, some may be an unexpected choice in your method of creating networks and making it wait for a very long time, some may be settings based, and some may be a genuine glitch, without a save no one knows what is happening in your specific situation. Of course had you dared read the manual, or searches the settings, you'd find the option to disable warn if lost.
rblb wrote: 11 Dec 2023 18:44 I never encountered any developers who would blame me, the gamer, for their lousy programming skills.
None of the developers have even posted in this thread.

As a developer myself, although not of openttd, I know it's difficult to make things work for every player, and if you think that is the case, then again, feel free to make meaningful & helpful suggestions on Github, and yes the irony of expecting inexperienced users to know Github or how it works is not lost on us. But stuff on this forum tends to get lost.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

rblb wrote: 11 Dec 2023 20:52 Of course, but those bugs that I was experiencing, and they really are errors (written in red) and bugs, crashes or irrational behaviors, will be experienced by anyone playing the game for less than an hour. Have you even played the game before? I'm asking because it's hard to believe that you did since apparently you haven't experienced any of what I experienced.

Yes, I've played the game for over two decades. The error you posted was not a bug with the game itself, it was in an add-on created by somebody else, independent of the game developers. And your issues with that was moved to the appropriate thread and addressed there.

You then brought up other issues with other things that either you did, or you downloaded. The "irrational behavior" is not because of the game itself, it's because of choices that you made without understanding. In the particular issue you're having here, you made the decision to select a train engine which also carries cargo. There are such trains in the world and this game, originally created in 1993, chose to implement them.
Out of all the trains you could have chosen, this was the one you chose without understanding what it is you did.

Which is really not an issue at all. You made this choice, you had an issue you didn't understand, you came here with your issue and we were attempting to help you with it. The solutions are pretty easy. You could a) ignore the fact that it carries other cargo and change your load settings or b) send the train back to a depot, buy a new engine that suits your desire and then swap it out for the old one, then copy the orders, sell the train you didn't want and send the new one back on its way.

Since you continue to engage here, I'm am assuming that you really would like to learn how to play the game and not fight. We're here for you if you would like more help. I'll also point you to the very thorough online documentation that is available, https://wiki.openttd.org/
rblb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rblb »

Thank you, I know about that one, it doesn't reflect the game, the list is longer, but I'll give you a hint that is very easily verifiable. Look at this (again just one, can't list them all, have no longer the game): http://wiki.openttd.org/File/en/Manual/ ... nalgui.png

It is not the same as in the game, your STABLE version of the game that is, maybe in some other version. In the current game, which I do not have anymore, but recall, there are just a few icons / options. Anyway, I've wasted a lot of time conversing with you, looks to me you have a lot to do to fix the game, the AIs, the graphics, the manual, the tutorial, etc. etc. I'll leave you to it and wish you again good luck with development and all the best in the future! Farewell!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Those signals are in the game, but they are no longer shown by default. This was changed in OpenTTD 13.0, and it's well-documented that it was changed and why - to make it easier for new players to start playing the game without getting tripped up and confused by all the various signals, when 99% of the time there's one signal that does everything nearly everybody uses.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

rblb wrote: 11 Dec 2023 22:43 ...
It is not the same as in the game, your STABLE version of the game that is, maybe in some other version. In the current game, which I do not have anymore, but recall, there are just a few icons / options. Anyway, I've wasted a lot of time conversing with you, looks to me you have a lot to do to fix the game, the AIs, the graphics, the manual, the tutorial, etc. etc. I'll leave you to it and wish you again good luck with development and all the best in the future! Farewell!
The core of the game is the remit of the developers, ALL of whom volunteer their time (which is VERY common for open source projects)
The AIs and most of the downloadable content is created by users/players of the game - yes, some developers also make content, but by no means a lot of what's available.
The manual & tutorial: These being 'outdated' is not a problem exclusive to OTTD - also VERY common in the open source software world. Any developer will attest to the difficulty in remembering to keep documentation up-to-date, so much so that it's a separate discipline!
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

kamnet wrote: 11 Dec 2023 22:56 Those signals are in the game, but they are no longer shown by default. This was changed in OpenTTD 13.0, and it's well-documented that it was changed and why - to make it easier for new players to start playing the game without getting tripped up and confused by all the various signals, when 99% of the time there's one signal that does everything nearly everybody uses.
For what it's worth, the Wiki article about signals doesn't contain the image of the signals menu as it looks in the current version of the game. I suppose this can be confusing to a new player, even for the kind that wouldn't actually use the additional signals.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

skc wrote: 12 Dec 2023 01:42 The manual & tutorial: These being 'outdated' is not a problem exclusive to OTTD - also VERY common in the open source software world.
Even outside of openttd / open source / free games manuals are often good at 'making stuff up', Rollercoaster Tycoon's manual for instance gets a lot of stuff wrong, as if it was either planned but not finished, or simplified before release, and in some parts there's no resemblance to what was in the end released game anyway.
All in all, the openttd manual / wiki is pretty dang accurate, even compared to paid stuff. It wouldn't hurt to maybe try getting someone on board who perhaps once a month or week (depending how often the commits come in to not give too much work in one go) goes through the commit history since the last wiki update, and edits what needs to be done, then your manual is never getting more than a month or so out of date.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”