American Steam Pack

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

American Steam Pack

Post by Ruiluth »

This is the successor to the American Passenger Set. Due to a dispute over graphics, I decided to start a new grf. My goal with this set is to create a set like NARS, but focus on the era from 1900-1950 and make it more detailed. NARS is missing some wheel arrangements that I would like to have (4-8-0, 4-8-8-4, 2-8-8-0, etc). Additionally, this set will have multiple types of each wheel arrangement. No longer will a 4-8-2 be a medium passenger engine, but there will be multiple flavors. For example, the SP 4-8-2 might be a light and fast passenger engine, the NYC might be a fast freight engine, and the UP would be a very heavy and fast locomotive for hauling heavy passenger trains over grades. I'm also planning to include some of the more rare engines, such as Big Boys, Cab Forwards, maybe a DM&IR Yellowstone...

So far the set includes three locomotives and two cars. The passenger and baggage cars will change their paint to match the engine. There is a website for the pack here: https://sites.google.com/site/americansteampack/home

Locomotives:
The class A 4-4-2 pulls the an early Hiawatha. It is very fast and is designed to handle four cars over 100 mph, but it can take up to nine.

The class F7 4-6-4 pulls the later Hiawatha. It is even faster than the class A and is designed to pull heavier trains.

Union Pacific #2906 pulls the Forty Niner. It was a regular P-77 class 4-6-2 which was streamlined for the train. Oddly enough, the locomotive was painted in the standard Union Pacific prewar streamliner scheme, and not the special 49er scheme that was carried by the passenger cars.

P.S. Streamlined engines are expensive to build and maintain. Use them only for special trains.

Also because of said dispute, I am now making all graphics myself. All of the graphics I make are licensed under the Gnu Public License 2.0, and any graphics donated to the grf must be licensed under the same license. What this means is that if you are so incredibly proud of your work that you can't bear the thought of anyone ever doing anything to it, your help is not wanted. I am creating this set to enhance the game, not to showcase my work or anyone else's. If you want me to code some graphics for you, or if (for some reason) you want my graphics, PM me.

Note to Paulicus25: all of your graphics have been removed and are not part of this set in any way.
Attachments
SteamPack.grf
(19.04 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Last edited by Ruiluth on 05 Apr 2014 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
kamnet

Re: American Steam Pack

Post by kamnet »

Just make it easy on yourself. License your graphics under GPL2 and only use graphics from artists under a compatible license (GPL2, Creative Commons CC-BY or CC-BY-SA, or Public Domain). If you use graphics that are under these licenses, you do not need to ask permission to use, modify or distribute them. Most artists here these days prefer GPL2.
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Re: American Steam Pack

Post by Ruiluth »

kamnet wrote:Just make it easy on yourself. License your graphics under GPL2 and only use graphics from artists under a compatible license (GPL2, Creative Commons CC-BY or CC-BY-SA, or Public Domain). If you use graphics that are under these licenses, you do not need to ask permission to use, modify or distribute them. Most artists here these days prefer GPL2.
Good idea, I changed it.

Return to “Graphics Releases”