TT Building Style

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

TT Building Style

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

(All to WIN version)

Is it possible to have TT building style too ?
like / \ | - rails
(currently I'm setting first and last point or 1 square but I would like to see: size of building area, and be able to select one type of horizontal/vertical track)

the same with roads, also it would be good to have / \ roads

btw. is it possible to have 'night' without normal GUI ? (currently GUI get darker when night comes and I hardy see buttons)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

i wanted that too, the autoroute is as stupid as ttd's ai
<!-- End Of Post !-->
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

BobXP wrote:i wanted that too, the autoroute is as stupid as ttd's ai
And what the autoroute in your game look like right now? Or wait, you just started out huh? You see Bob, once again someone failed to obey the principle of constructive (i.e. supportive) feedback. Would you like it if you put many hours in your game and one ill-phrased thread kills all your labour?
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

Most of these issues were posted in the feedback forum alreay. I'll just give the pointers here:

TT track building style:
http://www.simugraph.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t_id=87

Diagonal roads:
http://www.simugraph.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t_id=74

Night with normal GUI: The current graphics engine does not support that. It is possible to change it, but the change is fairly time consuming and the gain is fairly low. Thus I want to work on other tasks first.

Stupid autoroute:

I usually build track by assembling straight pieces of 8-10 sqaures length. This works pretty well for me.

Anyways there was a somewhat heated debate about this:
http://www.simugraph.com/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t_id=52
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

thanks Hajo, good to know that it's on the way :wink:
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

Hajo wrote:I usually build track by assembling straight pieces of 8-10 sqaures length. This works pretty well for me.
Well I would like the Simu style completely got rid of and the TT style put in. :wink:
<!-- End Of Post !-->
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

There would be people out there that are already used to the Simu style... and probably some people that have never played TT in their lives. You'd have to keep the Simu style as well if you wanted to add the TT style.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

I've noticed something, but there are a few possible conclusions:

Observation: TTD players who switch to Simutrans initially complain a lot that it works differently than TTD. They want to have everything like in TTD. But those complaints stop after they play a while.

I see a few reasons why they stop to complain:

1) Simutrans system is good. After they got used to it, there is no reason to complain anymore.
2) Simutrans system is bad. But they stop to repeat complaints after a while.

Former TTD players often complain about the platform precise schedules and the way track building works.

Another observation: Non-TTD players who start Simutrans don't complain about these things.

Below is my interpretation of these observations:

To me, it seems that some TTD players don't want something else but TTD. Sorry to write this. They want something "new and better, but the same as TTD". IMO the only thing that can provide this is The Patch.

Overall I don't really know how serious I have to consider complaints from TTD players that Simutrans is different from TTD. I _want_ Simutrans to be different from TTD. I never wanted to make just a clone. IMO Simutrans is much too similar to TTD, but there are only so many ways to solve problems in transport simualtions games. TTD often has very good solutions - thus each try to create a good solution is likely to end up in a solution similar to the TTD solution (given, that the problem exist in TTD, too).

Another point: often TTD players tell me Simutrans graphics are bad. I wonder, because independant voices rate them rather good. Is it again the 'I want to have it as in TTD' effect?

Lately I prefer to listen to the independant voices and players who do not have a history of playing TTD. I think they are less biased. Sorry people :(
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

my opinion:
with current building system in sumitrans I have less control in building tracks/roads, I had better control with TT style
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Hajo, now my tow cents: :D

I love to be able to control how to build, but I could live with it.
In the version I used I was confused that if I build signals trains hang inf front of them. Maybe I build Train Networks to TTD'ish

One disatvantage I see is the way-finiding. Yes it finds it's way indeed much better than TTD, but I as player don't like to bother around that trains don't select a free station slot.

Ohh and I never complained about the graphic...
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

The signals usually work fine. I know that TTD players have troubles with them. I don't really understand wyh, but the problems reports clearly tell so.

Signals in Simutrans work very simple: the protect the entrance of a rail block. If there is train inside the block, the signal does not allow a second train to enter.

That's all.

There are one-way and double signals. I guess in Simutrans you need to use more one-way signals than in TTD to avoid traffic jams. But the only rule you need to have in mind is the rule quoted above.

I think the biggest confusion comes from this:

In TTD trains use whatever pth seems possible to reach their destination, even if this path is a dead end or a loop. In Simutrans trains insist to use the shortest path to their destination.

Anyways, some people like it, some not. Some can use it some not. And there are a lot of players who just use it without either sending praises or complaints. Overall I think I can keep the current system and it will be good for many players, except some of the TTD folks.

Return to “Simutrans”