Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Skip this first part if you're only interested in playing with this NewGRF!
Sorry about the following wall of text, I just want to be clear about how I want this license handled. If I can't fight this system, I'm going to make sure my own projects are at least immune to its negative side-effects.

First up, I have started this project with the knowledge that it needs a license, but I am not very fond of them. I am more of a "freedom of information" person in situations where the information doesn't have a price tag, which is the case with NewGRFs. From v0.0.6a v0.0.7a onwards, this NewGRF is licensed under the Unlicense; http://unlicense.org/ Public Domain Mark.

The Public Domain Mark does not require Source Code to be published, and you will not be required to do so with modified versions you might create. In spite of this, the Source Code can be downloaded along with the latest version right here in this topic. Unfortunately I cannot upload the source to BaNaNaS, but I have pointed people in the right direction (to here) using the description of the NewGRF on the In-Game Content interface.

Okay, tl;dr that was the licensing issues.
Now that I'm done ranting, on to the actual NewGRF!

This NewGRF is available in the In-Game Content downloader (BaNaNaS / Fruit Store)!
Source code is available exclusively from this page, as BaNaNaS does not support uploading source code.

After seeing various Town Name NewGRFs that produced towns from specific franchises, as well as noting there was a "Song of Fire and Ice" map in BaNaNaS I wondered how hard it would be to make a "Famous Town Names" GRF in the vein of SilverSurferZzZ's "Famous Cars" Road Vehicle set. Of course, since there is already a Famous Town Names NewGRF for real cities that are famous, I instead came up with the name FicTown Names and set about trying to figure out how to make it happen.

Currently there are quite a few places in the list, which I will post in the second post. I don't know the exact number. Some are taken from series that I know and love, others from wikis of series I included for who-knows-why, but most were taken from Wikipedia's lists of fictional cities and towns. If you don't know how to develop a NewGRF, but want to suggest a fictional city, town, village or other settlement from a song, book or novel series, movie, TV show, video game, tabletop RPG, or any other work of fiction, please do! I'll try to add it in a timely manner. There are only two conditions:

1) It must be fictional. If it is a real place where fictional characters reside in or mention, it doesn't count. If a city is from the future and built on the ruins of, or renamed from, a real city (New New York, Neo Tokyo) it also does not count. Alternate reality versions of real cities are not an exception unless the name is different. (So Cape City and San Fransokyo are valid, but not any version of San Francisco from Sliders)
2) It must have or have had permanent habitation by sentient/sapient beings. No mountains, rivers, islands or other geographical features unless they are inhabited.

That should be everything. The NewGRF's test version and the source of said test version are both in a single zip file below. I've included instructions for the uninitiated, but for now only in Windows. I may include instructions for Mac OS X if there is enough demand.

Here's a download, and a link to my OneDrive for older versions. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee the future ensured hosting of old versions I have been forced to remove all pre-BaNaNaS versions from my OneDrive account to save space, but the latest version will be kept online as long as these forums are around, and all versions from 0.1.0a onward will remain on BaNaNaS into perpetuity.

Attachment:
File comment: Latest Version
FicTownNames 0.1.0a.zip [24.37 KiB]
Downloaded 11 times
(Includes source code!)

A list of towns in the NewGRF is included with it in the ZIP file (Town Names.txt).

Credits
SimYouLater (Myself)
Chancel Aleph (for several town names)
Tsylatac (for several town names)

Versions

To-do List
- World of Warcraft (This is going to be a doozy!)

v0.1.0a - February 16, 2017
- Uploaded to BaNaNaS at last!
- kamnet has been removed from the list of contributors as he didn't actually do anything. That said, I appreciate his offer to upload to BaNaNaS and understand that he is busy with more important maters.

v0.0.9a - January 25, 2017
- Removed King City from Welcome to Night Vale, due to the revelation that it is the real city of King City, CA (California? Canada? Does it really matter? :P)
- ...that's all. Unfortunately I have nothing to add and am still trying to contact kamnet about uploading FicTown Names to BaNaNaS.

v0.0.8a - January 5, 2017
- Credits for new locations in this version go to Tsylatac!
- Added locations from EverQuest
- Added locations from Guild Wars
- Added more locations from My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic
- Added new locations from Pokémon, specifically Pokémon Sun and Moon (and Stars for the Switch?)
- Added locations from Pushing Daisies
- Added locations from Welcome to Night Vale

v0.0.7a - December 11, 2016
- Changed from WTF license to Public Domain

v0.0.6a - December 10, 2016
- Added several new inhabited or formally inhabited locations from Star Citizen.
- Added Chancels created by the Nobilis fandom and posted on http://nobilis.me/
- Added locations from Marapets.
- Added locations from City of Heroes and City of Villains.

v0.0.5a - Nov 16, 2016
- Added several new cities and towns from Digimon (Digimon World 3).
- Added Dog River from Corner Gas.

v0.0.4a - Oct 23, 2016
- Updated files, no change to NewGRF.

v0.0.3a - Oct 11, 2016
- Added Zootopia and Bunnyborough from Zootopia
- Added Rainbows End from Rainbows End

v0.0.2a - Oct 10, 2016
- Three versions in two days! I'm going to slow down on updates now, as I'm running out of series that I enjoy enough to add; once again, if you want your favorite work of fiction included, just say the word and I'll see what I can do!
- Added New Earth City from Athena Wheatley
- Added Belwood from Ben 10
- Added Rapture and Columbia from Bioshock
- Added Cheesebridge from The Boxtrolls
- Added CCC City from CCC
- Added "Town" from Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine
- Added Reality from City of Reality
- Added New Pemberton from Continuum (the TV series, not the unrelated tabletop RPG or the webcomic that is unrelated to either)
- Added Bubble Town from Cubix: Robots for Everyone
- Added list for Digimon
- Added Thneedville from The Lorax (listed under "Dr. Seuss")
- Added Arendelle and Weselton from Frozen (decided not to count them as shared with Once Upon A Time due to the cameo nature of their appearance)
- Added Free Country, USA from Homestar Runner as "Free Country"
- Added Berk from How to Train Your Dragon
- Added Bootsville from Kid vs. Kat
- Added Bricksburg from The LEGO Movie
- Added Bremen and Collins Falls from The Librarians (under "The Librarian(s)" as the TV series is a continuation of the The Librarian films")
- Added Walkerville from The Magic School Bus
- Added Metro City from Megamind
- Added a list for Neopets which is complete unless they introduce a new location; as of this writing, the last time they did was in 2014
- Added Halloween Town from The Nightmare before Christmas; Happy Halloween 2016!
- Added a list for Nobilis, filled with various Chancels and the town of Mud Falls, Michigan from 3rd edition
- Added Daten City and Oten City from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
- Added Shaky Claim from Psychonauts
- Added complete list for Ristar
- Added O-Town from Rocko's Modern Life
- Added Flip City from Rollbots
- Added Duloc and Far Far Away from Shrek
- Added several new cities and towns from Star Citizen; this was accidentally left out of v0.0.1!
- Added a couple locatons to Star Wars
- Added Sunset City from Sunset Overdrive
- Added Tylerton from The Tunnel Beneath the World by Frederik Pohl
- Added Burramudgee from Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

v0.0.1a - Oct 10, 2016
- Added code documentation comments; All locations now labelled by series of origin
- Added complete list for The Chronicles of Narnia
- Completed list for Dark Cloud (including Dark Chronicle)
- Completed list for Discworld
- Completed list for Earthbound
- Added Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls; this was accidentally left out of v0.0.0a
- Added "Anywhere City" from Grand Theft Auto
- Added list for Half-Life, which should be complete unless hell freezes over and pigs fly ;-)
- Completed list for His Dark Materials
- Completed lists for MegaMan Battle Network and Megaman Star Force
- Added Monstropolis to Multiple Series list, used in Monsters, Inc. (including Monsters University) and Mega Man
- Added complete list for Monster Tale
- Added list for Pokémon
- Added Citysville and Farmsville from The Powerpuff Girls
- Added list for The Sims
- Added list for Sonic the Hedgehog
- Added list for Super Mario
- Added Agrestic from Weeds; this was accidentally left out of v0.0.0a
- Added Aramanth from Wind on Fire; this was accidentally left out of v0.0.0a

v0.0.0a - Oct 9, 2016
- First version

Last edited by SimYouLater on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Post subject: Re: FicTown Names
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:29 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Congratulations for sorting this out!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

luxtram wrote:

Thanks. I'm still not happy with the way things are run with everyone else, so that's why I decided I would at least make sure it couldn't happen with my own work. It is my hope that FicTown Names will not be taken from the non-creators, or even other creators who might want to carry on the torch if I ever leave for that matter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:06 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

SimYouLater wrote:
luxtram wrote:

Thanks. I'm still not happy with the way things are run with everyone else, so that's why I decided I would at least make sure it couldn't happen with my own work. It is my hope that FicTown Names will not be taken from the non-creators, or even other creators who might want to carry on the torch if I ever leave for that matter.

Indeed. I would say that GPL is one of the safest bets. I chose it also for my own project for the very same reasons. I wish that many people before would have done the same, but maybe it has been good, as the same thing has motivated me to improve my skills. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:34 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

v0.0.3a is now available in the first post, although I suspect nobody actually cares about this project. :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

SimYouLater wrote:
I suspect nobody actually cares about this project. :(

I think that you should not worry about it too much. First things move slowly here, so sometimes you have to be patient, but in general it does not matter. If this project has significance for yourself, you are already fine. If this project does not get much foothold, just give it time and experiment with something else. I have two projects that only I really care about. Within time you will evolve and can transform your experience as some fit parts of your project to other projects.

So as an example, I left these specific projects behind and transformed its results into a more general project that has received a bit more welcomed reaction. Given again time, I think I can again transform the new results back into the postponed projects. And so on.

Another aspect is that while there may be not much direct interest in some projects, people are still grateful that these exists.

Also do not be afraid to experiment with something completely different.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:36 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

SimYouLater wrote:
v0.0.3a is now available in the first post, although I suspect nobody actually cares about this project. :(
Given your smiley behind that statement, I'd agree with luxtram that statement is false, you care about it.

All projects here are personal. People start them because they have an itch that they want to fix. Most of them never grow beyond a small number of users (or even more than 1 user), and that's fine. If it increases the fun you have with the game, it achieved its goal.

Improve while you still feel the itch, and otherwise consider it done, and move on to the next enhancement.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:41 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Alberth wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:
Given your smiley behind that statement, I'd agree with luxtram that statement is false, you care about it.

All projects here are personal. People start them because they have an itch that they want to fix. Most of them never grow beyond a small number of users (or even more than 1 user), and that's fine. If it increases the fun you have with the game, it achieved its goal.

Improve while you still feel the itch, and otherwise consider it done, and move on to the next enhancement.
luxtram wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:
I suspect nobody actually cares about this project. :(

I think that you should not worry about it too much. First things move slowly here, so sometimes you have to be patient, but in general it does not matter. If this project has significance for yourself, you are already fine. If this project does not get much foothold, just give it time and experiment with something else. I have two projects that only I really care about. Within time you will evolve and can transform your experience as some fit parts of your project to other projects.

So as an example, I left these specific projects behind and transformed its results into a more general project that has received a bit more welcomed reaction. Given again time, I think I can again transform the new results back into the postponed projects. And so on.

Another aspect is that while there may be not much direct interest in some projects, people are still grateful that these exists.

Also do not be afraid to experiment with something completely different.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Considering you both decided to do so, I would say that's enough interest to warrant continuing this project.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:34 am 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

SimYouLater wrote:

My advice: put it on bananas. Not all openttd players know about this forum, and many would be very keen to try this out.

For comparison, my town names grf has about 25 downloads on this forum, but has over 12000 downloads on bananas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:40 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

zooks wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:

My advice: put it on bananas. Not all openttd players know about this forum, and many would be very keen to try this out.

For comparison, my town names grf has about 25 downloads on this forum, but has over 12000 downloads on bananas.

I would love for someone to put it on BaNaNaS, but sadly I can't wrap my head around the technical requirements to do it myself (something about "Mercurial"?). It's under the WTF license, so there's nothing stopping you from doing it with or without my permission. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:13 pm 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

SimYouLater wrote:
I would love for someone to put it on BaNaNaS, but sadly I can't wrap my head around the technical requirements to do it myself (something about "Mercurial"?).
No, Mercurial does administration of which files were used for what version. It doesn't do Bananas.
File upload is convenient with a musa script, but if you want to do it manually, you can upload through the website, afaik. From the main OpenTTD page, click 'Development' in the top bar, scroll down to NewGRF, there is

NewGRFs can be made available to players via the online content.

SimYouLater wrote:
It's under the WTF license, so there's nothing stopping you from doing it with or without my permission. ;)
Actyually, there is. Bananas requires the original author to submit the file, so anyone that wants to do that should make a fork of your project first, and rename things to avoid confusion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:34 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Love this set, thank you :)

SimYouLater wrote:
If you don't know how to develop a NewGRF, but want to suggest a fictional city, town, village or other settlement from a song, book or novel series, movie, TV show, video game, tabletop RPG, or any other work of fiction, please do!

Well then... :wink:

=EverQuest= (off the top of my head, and only through the Shadows of Luclin expansion since that's as far as I played)
Ak'Anon
Cabilis
Erudin
Felwithe
Freeport
Grobb
Halas
High Keep
Kaladim
Kelethin
Neriak
Oggok
Paineel
Qeynos
Rivervale
Shar Vahl
Surefall Glade

=Guild Wars= (towns only, I may come back to do outposts and landmarks, but not all really count as settlements so that will take some time)
The Amnoon Oasis
Ascalon City
Cavalon
Doomlore Shrine
Droknar's Forge
Gate of Torment
Gunnar's Hold
Great Temple of Balthazar
Kaineng Center
Kamadan, Jewel of Istan
Henge of Denravi
House zu Heltzer
The Kodash Bazaar
Lion's Arch
Rata Sum
Shing Jea Monastery
Sunspear Sanctuary

=My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic= (as the show/universe has no shortage of horse pun locations, I've stuck to the show itself here, and cherrypicked additions that have actually been shown, or at least can be safely assumed to be inhabited settlements)
Baltimare
Canterlot
Cloudsdale
Fillydelphia
Dodge Junction
Griffonstone
Hoofington
Las Pegasus
Rainbow Falls
Seaward Shoals
Trottingham
Whinnyapolis

=Pokémon= (additions from the new Alola region)
Aether Paradise
Hau'oli City
Heahea City
Iki Town
Konikoni City
Malie City
Paniola Town
Po Town
Seafolk Village
Tapu Village

=Pushing Daisies=
Coeur d'Coeurs
North Thrush

=Welcome to Night Vale=
Desert Bluffs
King City (shares a name with, but is probably not at all based on, several real cities, the largest of which has a population of only around 13,000)
Night Vale
Pine Cliff
Red Mesa
The Underground City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:32 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Tsylatac wrote:
King City (shares a name with, but is probably not at all based on, several real cities, the largest of which has a population of only around 13,000)

Now that I've finally picked up the novel, it turns out WTNV's King City is in fact the real town of King City, CA. So disregard that one. (Sorry for the bump, it says I can no longer edit my previous post.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:37 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Tsylatac wrote:
Tsylatac wrote:

Now that I've finally picked up the novel, it turns out WTNV's King City is in fact the real town of King City, CA. So disregard that one. (Sorry for the bump, it says I can no longer edit my previous post.)

Thanks for letting me know. It's been removed.

NOTICE!

Development of FicTownNames, and response to this topic by me, will be halted from January 30 until February 13. I will be out of the country during that period and will likely not have any internet access. Thanks for understanding.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:26 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I'm back, and I've uploaded FicTown Names to the Fruit Store myself. You can still download the latest version, including source code, from this topic (check the first post).