Skip this first part if you're only interested in playing with this NewGRF!
Sorry about the following wall of text, I just want to be clear about how I want this license handled. If I can't fight this system, I'm going to make sure my own projects are at least immune to its negative side-effects.
First up, I have started this project with the knowledge that it needs a license, but I am not very fond of them. I am more of a "freedom of information" person in situations where the information doesn't have a price tag, which is the case with NewGRFs. From v0.0.6a
v0.0.7a onwards, this NewGRF is licensed under the Unlicense; http://unlicense.org/
Public Domain Mark.
The Public Domain Mark does not require Source Code to be published, and you will not be required to do so with modified versions you might create. In spite of this, the Source Code can be downloaded along with the latest version right here in this topic. Unfortunately I cannot upload the source to BaNaNaS, but I have pointed people in the right direction (to here) using the description of the NewGRF on the In-Game Content interface.Okay, tl;dr that was the licensing issues.
Now that I'm done ranting, on to the actual NewGRF!This NewGRF is available in the In-Game Content downloader (BaNaNaS / Fruit Store)!
Source code is available exclusively from this page, as BaNaNaS does not support uploading source code.
After seeing various Town Name NewGRFs that produced towns from specific franchises, as well as noting there was a "Song of Fire and Ice" map in BaNaNaS I wondered how hard it would be to make a "Famous Town Names" GRF in the vein of SilverSurferZzZ's "Famous Cars" Road Vehicle set. Of course, since there is already a Famous Town Names NewGRF for real cities that are famous, I instead came up with the name FicTown Names and set about trying to figure out how to make it happen.
Currently there are quite a few places in the list, which I will post in the second post. I don't know the exact number. Some are taken from series that I know and love, others from wikis of series I included for who-knows-why, but most were taken from Wikipedia's lists of fictional cities and towns. If you don't know how to develop a NewGRF, but want to suggest a fictional city, town, village or other settlement from a song, book or novel series, movie, TV show, video game, tabletop RPG, or any other work of fiction, please do! I'll try to add it in a timely manner. There are only two conditions:
1) It must be fictional. If it is a real place where fictional characters reside in or mention, it doesn't count. If a city is from the future and built on the ruins of, or renamed from, a real city (New New York, Neo Tokyo) it also does not count. Alternate reality versions of real cities are not an exception unless the name is different. (So Cape City and San Fransokyo are valid, but not any version of San Francisco from Sliders
2) It must have or have had permanent habitation by sentient/sapient beings. No mountains, rivers, islands or other geographical features unless they are inhabited.
That should be everything. The NewGRF's test version and the source of said test version are both in a single zip file below. I've included instructions for the uninitiated, but for now only in Windows. I may include instructions for Mac OS X if there is enough demand.
Here's a download, and a link to my OneDrive for older versions
. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee the future ensured hosting of old versions
I have been forced to remove all pre-BaNaNaS versions from my OneDrive account to save space, but the latest version will be kept online as long as these forums are around, and all versions from 0.1.0a onward will remain on BaNaNaS into perpetuity.
File comment: Latest Version
FicTownNames 0.1.0a.zip [24.37 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times
(Includes source code!)
A list of towns in the NewGRF is included with it in the ZIP file (Town Names.txt).Credits
SimYouLater (Myself)Chancel Aleph
(for several town names)
Tsylatac (for several town names)VersionsTo-do List
- World of Warcraft
(This is going to be a doozy!)v0.1.0a
- February 16, 2017
- Uploaded to BaNaNaS at last!
- kamnet has been removed from the list of contributors as he didn't actually do anything. That said, I appreciate his offer to upload to BaNaNaS and understand that he is busy with more important maters.v0.0.9a
- January 25, 2017
- Removed King City from Welcome to Night Vale
, due to the revelation that it is the real city of King City, CA (California? Canada? Does it really matter?
- ...that's all. Unfortunately I have nothing to add and am still trying to contact kamnet about uploading FicTown Names to BaNaNaS.v0.0.8a
- January 5, 2017
- Credits for new locations in this version go to Tsylatac!
- Added locations from EverQuest
- Added locations from Guild Wars
- Added more locations from My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic
- Added new locations from Pokémon
, specifically Pokémon Sun and Moon (and Stars for the Switch?)
- Added locations from Pushing Daisies
- Added locations from Welcome to Night Valev0.0.7a
- December 11, 2016
- Changed from WTF license to Public Domainv0.0.6a
- December 10, 2016
- Added several new inhabited or formally inhabited locations from Star Citizen
- Added Chancels created by the Nobilis
fandom and posted on http://nobilis.me/
- Added locations from Marapets
- Added locations from City of Heroes
and City of Villains
- Nov 16, 2016
- Added several new cities and towns from Digimon
(Digimon World 3).
- Added Dog River from Corner Gas
- Oct 23, 2016
- Updated files, no change to NewGRF.v0.0.3a
- Oct 11, 2016
- Added Zootopia and Bunnyborough from Zootopia
- Added Rainbows End from Rainbows Endv0.0.2a
- Oct 10, 2016
- Three versions in two days! I'm going to slow down on updates now, as I'm running out of series that I enjoy enough to add; once again, if you want your favorite work of fiction included, just say the word and I'll see what I can do!
- Added New Earth City from Athena Wheatley
- Added Belwood from Ben 10
- Added Rapture and Columbia from Bioshock
- Added Cheesebridge from The Boxtrolls
- Added CCC City from CCC
- Added "Town" from Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine
- Added Reality from City of Reality
- Added New Pemberton from Continuum
(the TV series, not the unrelated tabletop RPG or the webcomic that is unrelated to either)
- Added Bubble Town from Cubix: Robots for Everyone
- Added list for Digimon
- Added Thneedville from The Lorax
(listed under "Dr. Seuss")
- Added Arendelle and Weselton from Frozen
(decided not to count them as shared with Once Upon A Time
due to the cameo nature of their appearance)
- Added Free Country, USA from Homestar Runner
as "Free Country"
- Added Berk from How to Train Your Dragon
- Added Bootsville from Kid vs. Kat
- Added Bricksburg from The LEGO Movie
- Added Bremen and Collins Falls from The Librarians
(under "The Librarian(s)" as the TV series is a continuation of the The Librarian
- Added Walkerville from The Magic School Bus
- Added Metro City from Megamind
- Added a list for Neopets
which is complete unless they introduce a new location; as of this writing, the last time they did was in 2014
- Added Halloween Town from The Nightmare before Christmas
; Happy Halloween 2016!
- Added a list for Nobilis
, filled with various Chancels and the town of Mud Falls, Michigan from 3rd edition
- Added Daten City and Oten City from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
- Added Shaky Claim from Psychonauts
- Added complete list for Ristar
- Added O-Town from Rocko's Modern Life
- Added Flip City from Rollbots
- Added Duloc and Far Far Away from Shrek
- Added several new cities and towns from Star Citizen
; this was accidentally left out of v0.0.1!
- Added a couple locatons to Star Wars
- Added Sunset City from Sunset Overdrive
- Added Tylerton from The Tunnel Beneath the World
by Frederik Pohl
- Added Burramudgee from Ty the Tasmanian Tigerv0.0.1a
- Oct 10, 2016
- Added code documentation comments; All locations now labelled by series of origin
- Added complete list for The Chronicles of Narnia
- Completed list for Dark Cloud
(including Dark Chronicle
- Completed list for Discworld
- Completed list for Earthbound
- Added Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls
; this was accidentally left out of v0.0.0a
- Added "Anywhere City" from Grand Theft Auto
- Added list for Half-Life
, which should be complete unless hell freezes over and pigs fly
- Completed list for His Dark Materials
- Completed lists for MegaMan Battle Network
and Megaman Star Force
- Added Monstropolis to Multiple Series list, used in Monsters, Inc.
(including Monsters University) and Mega Man
- Added complete list for Monster Tale
- Added list for Pokémon
- Added Citysville and Farmsville from The Powerpuff Girls
- Added list for The Sims
- Added list for Sonic the Hedgehog
- Added list for Super Mario
- Added Agrestic from Weeds
; this was accidentally left out of v0.0.0a
- Added Aramanth from Wind on Fire
; this was accidentally left out of v0.0.0av0.0.0a
- Oct 9, 2016
- First version