Skip this first part if you're only interested in playing with this NewGRF!
Okay, tl;dr that was the licensing issues.
- [+] Spoiler
- Sorry about the following wall of text, I just want to be clear about how I want this license handled. If I can't fight this system, I'm going to make sure my own projects are at least immune to its negative side-effects.
First up, I have started this project with the knowledge that it needs a license, but I am not very fond of them. I am more of a "freedom of information" person in situations where the information doesn't have a price tag, which is the case with NewGRFs. From v0.0.6a v0.0.7a onwards, this NewGRF is licensed under the Unlicense; http://unlicense.org/ Public Domain Mark. The Public Domain Mark does not require Source Code to be published, and you will not be required to do so with modified versions you might create. In spite of this, the Source Code can be downloaded along with the latest version right here in this topic! Unfortunately I cannot upload the source to BaNaNaS, but I have pointed people in the right direction (to here) using the description of the NewGRF on the In-Game Content interface.
Now that I'm done ranting, on to the actual NewGRF!This NewGRF is available in the In-Game Content downloader (BaNaNaS / Fruit Store)!
Source code is available exclusively from this page, as BaNaNaS does not support uploading source code, though please feel free to mirror the source code and/or NewGRF as you wish.Due to unexpected issues with uploading to BaNaNaS in-game content, I am forced to discontinue FicTown Names Basic.Unfortunately I am unable to keep track of the code required for this project. I cannot continue updating when every time I do, I put the wrong version number. It is inconvenient to the user and I am not willing to learn complex software to prevent it.
If someone is willing to continue this project, you can find the source code for the final version below.FicTown NamesTowns from Works of Fiction
After seeing various Town Name NewGRFs that produced towns from specific franchises, as well as noting there was a "Song of Fire and Ice" map in BaNaNaS, I wondered how hard it would be to make a "Famous Town Names" GRF in the vein of SilverSurferZzZ's "Famous Cars" Road Vehicle set. Of course, since there is already a Famous Town Names NewGRF for real cities that are famous, I instead chose the name FicTown Names and set about trying to make it happen.EDIT 20-08-2017: There are now three versions of FicTown Names, a legacy version, a basic version and a plus version! The two current versions are included in one zip file, see downloads for info!
I have discontinued all but FicTown+ Names.Due to a rough 2017, unexpected issues with uploading to BaNaNaS and some horribly rookie mistakes on my part while coding, the current version of "FicTown+ Names" is the only one that will see continuing updates. The Legacy and Basic Versions are only listed for posterity and due to the permanence of BaNaNaS uploads; It's not worth the effort to change the names in BaNaNaS.What towns are in it? How many towns are there?
Currently there are quite a few places in the list, which is included in a text file with the download. I don't know the exact number, but using a 8192x8192 map will result in all names being used. Some are taken from series that I know and love, others from wikis of series I included for who-knows-why or from suggestions by community members, but most were taken from Wikipedia's lists of fictional cities and towns.If you don't know how to develop a NewGRF, but want to suggest a fictional city, town, village or other settlement from a song, book or novel series, movie, TV show, video game, tabletop RPG, or any other work of fiction, please do! I'll try to add it in a timely manner.
As stated, development has stopped. No further names will be added by me. Sorry about this.There are only three conditions to suggesting towns:
1) It must be fictional. If it is a real place where fictional characters reside in or mention, it doesn't count. If a city is from the future and built on the ruins of, or renamed from, a real city (New New York, Neo Tokyo) it also does not count. Alternate reality versions of real cities are not an exception unless the name is different. (So Cape City and San Fransokyo are valid, but not any version of San Francisco from Sliders
2) It must have or have had permanent habitation by sentient/sapient beings. No mountains, rivers, islands or other geographical features unless they are inhabited.
3) Please submit towns in alphabetical order!
That means listing each work of fiction you suggest alphabetically, and listing the towns from a given work alphabetically. This is due to the long list of towns suggested by skyrish19 and their non-alphabetical listing, which made it harder to keep track of the code.
That should be everything. The NewGRF's test version and the source of said test version are both in a single zip file below. I've included instructions for the uninitiated, but for now only in Windows. I may include instructions for Mac OS X if there is enough demand.
Here's the downloads, and a link to my OneDrive for older versions
. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee the future ensured hosting of old versions
I have been forced to remove all pre-BaNaNaS versions from my OneDrive account to save space, but the latest version will be kept online as long as these forums are around, and all versions from 0.1.0a onward will remain on BaNaNaS into perpetuity.FicTown+ Names
FicTown+ Names is a continuation of the basic project with a larger scope. It has had specific town names re-ordered in the code to the bottom for easy coding, and thus is not compatible with earlier versions (though running games might not mind; do so at your own risk of a corrupted save game!), and includes town names from original works, from fan material for roleplaying games posted online, and from "direct case" works. "Direct case" includes anything unpublished for any reason and anything by someone I know outside the OpenTTD community, which I got permission to use directly from the original creator(s). "Direct case" also includes anything made by myself (but still part of a fictional work unrelated to OpenTTD) regardless of whether it's accessible.
File comment: Final version!
Source Code and NewGRF in one!
FicTownSourcePack1.7b.zip [60.17 KiB]
Downloaded 16 times
(Includes source code and text file with list of towns!)OLD VERSIONS (INCLUDING LEGACY DOWNLOAD)
- [+] Spoiler
- Due to unexpected issues with uploading to BaNaNaS in-game content, I am forced to discontinue FicTown Names Basic. Unfortunately, the GRF ID system does not see FTN/XX and FTP/XX as separate files if XX is the same number... (or someone has already used a set with the FTP/XX GRF ID, which is fine but makes it impossible to use the logical NewGRF ID). As a result, FicTown+ names 0.1.6b is the current supported version and no other FicTown NewGRFs will see continued updates.
Version 0.1.5b avaliable on BaNaNaS!
FicTown Names was the continuation of the basic project. It no longer included specific town names and thus was not compatible with earlier versions (though running games might not mind; do so at your own risk of a corrupted save game!), and would only include town names from original works not made by me or anyone I personally know. This means it does not include fanfiction, anything unpublished for any reason, or anything by someone I know outside the OpenTTD community. Due to issues with the NewGRF ID, Basic has been discontinued as I can't maintain two versions of FicTown Names on BaNaNaS.
FicTown Names 0.1.1a is the legacy version. It contains additions which I started implementing in July, originally slated for July 30, 2017. As I was unable to access my own computers at that time, I was unable to compile this version until now. It contains entries from original works of fiction, as well as names of custom locations for Nobilis 3e and 2e from a Nobilis fan-wiki which in version 0.1.2 onwards have been moved to FicTown+ Names and not included in FicTown Names Basic.
File comment: Final Legacy Version w/ Source & Town List
FicTown Names 0.1.1a.zip [32.09 KiB]
Downloaded 16 times
(Includes source code and text file with list of towns!)
EDIT: (Well, now it does. I apparently uploaded the wrong zip file. I apologize for any inability to do modifications.)
A list of towns in the NewGRF is included with it in the ZIP file (Town Names.txt).Credits
SimYouLater (Myself)Chancel Aleph
(for several town names)
Tsylatac (for several town names)
skyrish19 (for several town names)VersionsTo-do List
- World of Warcraft
(This is going to be a doozy!)
- [+] Spoiler
- v0.1.6b - February 3, 2018
- Due to bad folder organization, 0.1.3b and 0.1.4b ARE A MESS and DO NOT HAVE NEW TOWN NAMES. Additionally, 0.1.5b has been reserved for the final version of FicTown names Basic. Sorry for the inconvenience, my NML skills were rusty and I always had problems keeping track of versions when I updated the file.
- Updated to include suggestions by Skyrish19.
Both FicTown New GRFs
- Added complete list of locations from Velo CITY
- Added "Fallen London" from Neath Universe.
- On a similar note, added "UnLondon" from Un Lun Dun.
- Corrected commentary in code for Jump City (Teen Tiatns) and Beacon Hills (Teen Wolf).
- Added list from Atelier, an RPG Video Game series.
- Added list from Horizon: Zero Dawn.
- Added list from The Legend of Heroes.
- Added entry from Soul Calibur.
- Added list from Time Crisis.
- Added entries from the Fallout franchise.
- Added lists for the Tales of... series.
- Added list from Valkyria Chronicles.
FicTown+ Names only
- Added the Special Additions category to the bottom of the town list and the NML.
- Including having moved the only fan work entry in legacy (Chancels created by the Nobilis fandom and posted on http://nobilis.me/) to FicTown+
- Added a location from a concept made by someone I personally know.
- Added entry for WorldCraft, a shared universe project with someone I know.
v0.1.2b - August 20, 2017
- FicTown Names Basic released.
- Apparently all legacy versions had properly formatted code, but the text files were not in UTF-8, making foreign alphabet symbols turn to weird garlgemesh. i also somehow managed to fail to include the TXT town list entirely. Fortunately the Legacy 0.1.1a and Basic 0.1.2b versions can easily be fixed with a reupload of the ZIP files, and the BaNaNaS version can't include TXT files anyway so it won't need fixing.
Both FicTown New GRFs
- Added complete list of locations from Velo CITY
- Included complete list of locations from Wander Over Yonder
- Included complete list of locations from Osmosis Jones and the spinoff series Ozzy & Drix
- Included locations from Star vs. The Forces of Evil
- Included a few miscellaneous locations from poorly-known works of fiction.
- Moved the only fan work entry in legacy (Chancels created by the Nobilis fandom and posted on http://nobilis.me/) to FicTown+
- The location of Chuubo's Marvellous Wish-Granting Engine was added at some point and never recorded (possibly when I started the original 0.1.1a back in July, well before the "Legacy Basic + Split") but is well-known enough to warrant being recorded here.
v0.1.1a - August 20, 2017
- Released as Legacy Version. FicTown Names Basic and FicTown+ Names will replace it.
- Added complete list of locations from Wander Over Yonder
- Added complete list of locations from Osmosis Jones and the spinoff series Ozzy & Drix
- Added locations from Star vs. The Forces of Evil
- Added a few miscellaneous locations from poorly-known works of fiction.