[WIP] My own vehicle creation thread.

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

[WIP] My own vehicle creation thread.

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Hello everyone,

After two succesfull mods, I'm trying something else. Creating vehicles...

I'm starting with a RET Subway TYPE-RSG3, the "Randstadrail" from Rotterdam. Please don't ask me when this (and other future vehicles) will be released, it will be released when permission is given from the original creator and/or when it's done.

So far this topic is only to show what I'm doing and if I need some assistance by far better modders then me I will be able to ask some help.

Anyway, like I said I started with the TYPE-RSG3 from the RET. I know that Illegal Alien also made a few of these vehicles, but he never released this one. The difference between his vehicles and mine are these:

- Illegal's version looks a little better because I can't get the different parts of the vehicle closer to each other, no matter what distance I try in MSTS2Locomotion, I'm still trying figure out how that works.
- My vehicle does not drive on standard gauge. It drives on narrow gauge with an electric 3rd rail. I know that the narrow gauge does not use electric 3rd rail in the standard version, but because I use some other track-mods in my standard gauge rail (and the maximum of track-mods per tracktype is 3) I had to improvise to make it work.

Here's a first screenshot of my vehicle:

Here's a duowagon. My very first attemp in creating a vehicle since a couple of years. The other subway vehicle is a vehicle made by Illegal Alien. I placed it next to it to compare the size of the vehicle. The RSG3 drives originally with three wagons, but I wanted to try this first, because I didn't know if it was too diffecult to create a three part vehicle. As you can see both vehicles drive on the narrow gauge track with electric 3rd rail.

Here's the triple-wagon version of the RSG3. My first attempt didn't turned out to bad if I might say so...However, the distance between the wagons is a little bit too great. I'm trying different ways to get them closer to each other. I made the duo-wagon version with a distance of 38, and it turned out well. However when I try it on the triple-wagon version it turns out otherwise. This one is made with a distance of 40 and is no better then with a distance of 38...You can also see a one sided station, wich is in fact a catanary made by me. This is one of the three trackmods that I use for the standard and narrow gauge tracks...

Any advice would be nice, but of course and as always I'm trying to work on it myself as well...

So far my first post...btw, I'm also working on a Dutch PCC-tram from The Hague, but more will be shown later. One thing at the time :lol:

Regards,

Erik
Last edited by Emperor Darth Sidious on 01 Jul 2017 19:37, edited 4 times in total.
OpenRailer90
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [WIP] My own vehicle creation thread.

Post by OpenRailer90 »

Hmm, looks quite nice, but I think they're supposed to run on Standard guage. If you want to put it up for download, release 3 versions, one with breakdown, improved reliability, and no breakdowns.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Thnxsss Tycoonkid, but if I release them I first need permission from the website where I got them, and indeed you are right about the standard gauge. If I release them I will release them for the standard gauge, because the ones from Illegal Alien are for standard gauge as well.

The ones that I created for the narrow gauge are for personal use (I also converted all of IA' his vehicles for narrow gauge), because I use three trackmods on standard gauge. therefore I cannot select the needed 3rd rail that these vehicles need. Instead I chose to convert them to narrow gauge because I don't have any other vehicles that use the narrow gauge, and because I can still choose three different trackmods in wich 3rd rail is included.

I'm also working on a one-sided station at the moment (a track-mod catanary), wich can be seen in the second screenshot in the first post...
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Its easy to fix just edit the bogey positions in VC (Trial and error). (I also thought i had released that one?)

Also another small trick; strecth the middlepart to be as long as the front and back. :p (or make the front and back smaller :P)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Hello Alien,

Thnxss for the heads up mate !

No you didn't released them yet (as with those yellow trams from Rotterdam), therefore I decided to build them instead (for my self in the first place, and to learn again how to build vehicles), but if you do want to release them it would be A LOT easyer, because you already have the needed permission from that METRO site from the Netherlands...

I also converted the gray version of the Randstadrail, but no screenshot yet...Anyway here are both versions of the Randstadrail in white/blue livery of the RSG3. Both the EMU 2 and 3:

I also tried the Dutch "Sprinter" wich works quite nicely, also in turns hardly any clipping:

So far for now...
Walter1940
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Walter1940 »

Looks good for me .... :wink:

If it is too long you have to cut it with the tool "Shape File Manager".
Here is the link http://msts.steam4me.net/utilities/shap ... nager.html
Instructions can be found on my website.
http://www.walter1940.de
Vehicles for Locomotion

Tutorials in english
- From MSTS to Locomotion ---> http://www.walter1940.de/tutorial/msts2loco/
- Wally ---> http://www.walter1940.de/tutorial/wally/
- xml-modding ---> http://www.walter1940.de/tutorial/xml-modding/
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Thnxsss Walter,

By the way, do you know how you can convert the model so that it has a raised pantograf ? I also thought that you need MSTS to make use of Shape File Manager, but I'm not sure. Doesn't matter if it does, somewhere deep down buried in my gamescollection is still a copy of MSTS so I'll go and check it out since I still have some troubles with creating passenger-wagons...They are mostly too low, and too long...as with my version of the "Benelux Train" from the Dutch and Belgium Railways.

At first sight they look pretty nice but the distance between the vehiclesw must be slightly greater, and when in turns they are clipping a little and the size is much bigger then the Christrains versions, as well as the Oppie/Scrat version...That is something I still need to learn :cry:

But I'm not that bad hahahaha... :lol:

Regards,

Erik :wink:
Last edited by Emperor Darth Sidious on 29 Jun 2014 10:04, edited 2 times in total.
Walter1940
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Walter1940 »

Emperor Darth Sidious wrote: By the way, do you know how you can convert the model so that it has a raised pantograf ?
When the pantograph is already above you have had luck. If not, then there is no way with the converter to change that.

Unless you tried this http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... era+angles There you can the model be animated.
However, most of the pantograph is so small that you can not see
Vehicles for Locomotion

Tutorials in english
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Hello again,

First...I haven't tried that shape file manager thing Walter mentioned. Got too much things going on at home at the moment. I did however created a few 'new' locomotives for personal use, wich I might release if I get permission for it. Since I started this topic, I'm playing a lot with Dutch vehicles again, and I have most of the Christrains and Alien's trains in my game. However since not all of them are in these packs I created them for myself. Here are the NS 1100 Turgoise, Yellow/Gray and Blue version, the NS 1300 in all liveries and the NS 1500 locomotive. Of course the yellow/gray ones where in the Scrat/Opie pack but they are a little of scale I guess...

I'm working on a few other Dutch Locomotives as well, and still working on the Benelux-Train and the Longest Train in the World...

Regards,

Erik
Walter1940
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Walter1940 »

Looks very good.

If you are looking for more locomotives, you should look on the side of BTSM.be.
Vehicles for Locomotion

Tutorials in english
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

This is unexpected...

I thought that everything was ok with these NS 1300 locomotives, but when I tested them I found out that when they drive up and down a slope something is wrong. Here's a screenshot:

In the left picture the locomotive is going up, and in the right picture it's going down...

Never saw this before, it's driving ok on every other track situation, except in this situation. Does this has something to do with the bogey position ?

Thnxsss for helping me out... :wink:
Walter1940
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Walter1940 »

It happens sometimes. Create the images again. For me it has always worked then at the second attempt.
Vehicles for Locomotion

Tutorials in english
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Boy, has been a long time since I posted something in this topic...didn't even know it was there :idea: :lol:

I'm totally in creating vehicles again. With some support of Walter I picked it up again, and it's working nicely. I already made a few models. It's the same as in the first post, I can't release those to the public since I didn't asked permission to release them, but it sure is nice to create trains again. I started this because I would like to play with Dutch material again, but most of the stuff that has been released is either way too small, or it doesn't have that nice graphics. I played a lot with the scrat/opie pack back in the old days, but since they are a little dated I tried to create some for myself.

I love the pack from ChrisTrains and Illegal Alien, but most of the locomotives from the Dutch pack are way too small when compared with other (for example German coaches) and I combine my stuff with what they made...

So I asked Walter if he could help me out with the vehicle-creator and a few days after that I was creating my own vehicles again. Here are some screenshots of my progress so far:

The first pack I made since the last time I was on this topic are 5 liveries for the NS 1200 Series...The black one on the bottom is a special edition for the 175 years anniversary of Dutch railways. You can also see the HLE 1187, wich is the locomotive for the Benelux-Train between Amsterdam-Brussel.

On top you can see my version of the NS Mat'57. It was the Benelux-Train in 1957, then there is the NS SGM Sprinter "Citypendel" and both the locomotives from the previous picture.

After I found out that the Citypendel was doing well, I also created the 6 other liveries for the Sprinter...The 2003 version, the Strandsprinter (or beachsprinter), the Sprinterliner, the Luisteris-Sprinter (don't know if it's real or fictional), the Citypendel with Algemeen Dagblad (a Dutch newspaper) commercial and the normal Sprinter as it came out in 1975. After these I will start on the 3 part-sprinters.

Can't wait to get back to work on them (but of course I also work on my Food-Mod)...

So far this small update on the things that I'm doing now :roll: :wink:

Regards,

Erik
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Everything is going like clockwork...

I started on the 1600 series.

Here are 9 versions for the 1600 series, , Locon and HUSA, 3 different versions for NS Cargo, the 1607 (longest passengertrain in the world), Olympic Games Amsterdam 1992, the normal livery and the Postbank version.

I also made better versions for the 1200 series...and two new versions, the Black VOS logistic version and the light blue version that was used to pull plan E coaches.

I think I will rebuild the entire Dutch Trainset if I go on like this...although no succes yet with three and four part trains :x I'll just keep on trying :lol:
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

You can do it!
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Illegal_Alien wrote:You can do it!
Thanks Alien ! Nice to see that you are still around sometimes :bow: I practice a lot. However, I have one proble. Walter is also helpin me out (via e-mail), but 4 Eyes can see more than 2 so maybe you can give me some advice as well, because I'm planning to re-create the whole Dutch set (for myself, not for release)...

Now that I know how to make 2-part and 3-part trains as I have done that with the Sprinter in the picture below:

Now I tried the same with the Plan X DE2 (wich also has 3 parts). Problem is, it has a middle part is only wheels. When I made it, this was the result:
As you can see the middle part is way to wide...Is there a possibility to change that in msts2loco or vehicle creator, or should I just leave that middle part out of it ?
I'm not concerned about the diesel-steam, I just try another value for that. It's now in front, but the diesel-steam should be close to the blue and white stripes...

Thanks man. The more I try, the more I learn...

Regards,

Erik
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Goodmorning,

Well I tried a lot of variations this weekend for the Plan X train, but in even the best case the middle-part of the train was ugly...So I decided to leave that part out, and now it's better. I also tried to build the other DE1 and DE2's from plan X. The result was 4 DE1's and 7 DE2's.

The complete roster of Plan X DE1's and DE2's.

I'm also trying to work on coaches again...Here are some of my results so far:

ICK Coaches. The one in front is made by Walter, the other two are made by me.

The NS 1601 Olympic Games Amsterdam 1992 with the coaches and the NS 1801 with ICR "Herfstbioscoop" (Autumm Cinema), ICR A, ICR B, ICR BKD and ICR Bs.

The Benelux with HLE 1187 locomotive, Fyra livery and Benelux ICR Bs.

The Benelux with HLE 1187 locomotive, Fyra livery and Benelux ICR Bs.

With these last two there is however the problem that the pink in these coaches takes on the (second) company colors, wich I can't get out. So when I want the second company color in blue, the coaches will also have blue livery in it instead of pink. But I can also adjust that so that it only applies to passenger vehicles. If I select pink for that color, the coaches have the right color as well...

I know that the coaches are a little of scale (mostly the length), but the don't clip that much, and I will only use them when I play with Dutch trains only. The scale doesn't matter in this case, since it is also a private project and not to be released. Maybe if I get permission for some of these vehicles I will release them, but not very soon.

That's it for now...I'm now going to try some more coaches, the DD-AR and the VIRM... :roll:

Have a nice day :wink:
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Goodmorning,

Here's some new stuff, I'm making progress:

Two pair of coaches with both a ICR Bs vehicvle at the end. The 1600 with ICR-coaches and the HLE 1187 Beneluxtrain with ICR-coaches in the Benelux-livery. ICR a, ICR B, ICR Bv

All of the coaches that I made in the past few days with more to come.

Finally the DD-AR, NID and the fictional new Sprinter Livery DD-AR...I know there should be at least 4-part trains, but I ran out of money to borrow to make a testrun with them :lol:

I think everything is going well :lol: :wink:
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Hey guys,

I've been building a lot in the last week. I'm pretty busy with this project...and it's not finished yet. I didn't expected it to take that long. Here are some new screenshots to see:

Here are two versions of the NS 20, the so called camel or "Kameel" in Dutch. Only one of these trains was build, but I made it in both liveries. It was originally build in blue and grey but was painted in 1973. So that's why I decided to build them both. It was based on the Plan X DE1 wich can be seen in this same screen.

The NS series 1000 in two liveries. It was the first electric locomotive in the Netherlands.

The NS 1100 series of the Dutch Railways in five different liveries.

The Dutch royal coach in two forms as they drove through the Netherlands. First there was only one royal coach with two first class ICR coaches, later there where two coaches rebuild for staff, guest and one coach wich also had a small kitchen on board.

The recordtrain as it was seen in 1989. NS 1607 pulled a recordtrain with 60 coaches behind it, the last four coaches looked liked this, the last coach had number 60 on the roof and the three coaches in front had the line "60 De langste reizigerstrein ter wereld" on the side.

ICR coaches for the royal Dutch army with the Red Cross logo on the side and the roof. There where more types of coaches but I only made one because you can't tell the difference from this distance.

Another version of the NS Hi-Speed Fyra. This time with a new coach in between. The third and fifth coach read the line "Fyra" on the side. These where used for international trains.

The last set for today are the coaches for NS Plan D in both blue and turquoise livery. Both have a locomotive that has the same colors as the coaches. The NS 1300 series in Turquoise (with restaurant-coach) and the NS 1200 series in blue (with a mail-coach).

I still have some coaches to make, also a lot of work to do with the Mat'36, Mat'54, Mat'64, Plan T, Plan U, Plan V, the VIRM and the Koploper. Till next time ;)

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”