How do you organise your game saves?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

beeurd
Engineer
Engineer

How do you organise your game saves?

Post by beeurd »

Sorry if this has been posted before, I did search first to check. :P

Obviously I know how to organise game saves, so this is more of a "how do you organise your game saves?"

I've been putting off tidying up my saves folder for a while, so it's a bit of a mess with a bunch of different companies with different GRF settings, with last played dates ranging between 2004 and 2019.

A few of my more extensive games have their own folders, and I have an archive folder for prehistoric TT / TTD / TTDP games, but it's still a pain.

So yeah, does anybody have a good organisational system I can steal / be inspired by? :)
Long time TT addict, long time forum lurker.
Oh, and I run a Star Wars fan site.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How do you organise your game saves?

Post by orudge »

My games were generally in a subfolder for each game, which would typically have yearly (if not more regular) saved games. Back in the TTD days I would sometimes need extra subfolders because the main folder was full (TRT00.SV1 to TRT99.SV1 all present).
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Literally no organisation from me at all, other than a brief overall, the name is usually the time the map was started, ie: 16JUL2018, given i play maps for sometimes real-life 6+ months, as it just runs in the background all th etime and i alt-tab to it whenever i want to drop in.
Due to this, i also rarely update that original save, and rely on the autosaves, its only if i start something else, ie a mess about game with AIs, i update the initial named file.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I just organize is as the name of the map and the date I last played it.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

One folder for each game, where I added one or two key images, and an image of the map as well.
At the top an "index.html" file that has a few lines description, and the images, so I can easily scroll through all games.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”