Beginning earlier than Vanila - what grfs?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MaichinCivire
Engineer
Engineer

Beginning earlier than Vanila - what grfs?

Post by MaichinCivire »

Hey,

I'd love to begin earlier than with first trucks. Like in 1700, earlier, if it's possible. Are there any GRF's that enable vehicles in such times? Any texture packs to make it look... older?
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Beginning earlier than Vanila - what grfs?

Post by piratescooby »

MaichinCivire wrote:Hey,

I'd love to begin earlier than with first trucks. Like in 1700, earlier, if it's possible. Are there any GRF's that enable vehicles in such times? Any texture packs to make it look... older?
eGRVTS 2 and sailing ships ,all available from the 1700's , have a look at viewtopic.php?f=47&t=71474 , I love his screenshots .
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

MaichinCivire wrote:Hey,

Like Piratescooby says, horse carts from eGRVTS2 and Sailing Ships is the way to go. Don't forget to enable Squid as well, as this is needed to make the early ships profitable.

The horse carts are not very efficient, they have a limit of about 100 tons per month over maximum 100-150 tiles. Dig waterways wherever you can. And stick to short routes. Anything exceeding 200 tiles, either by road or by sea, won't give you any profit.

Regarding "texture packs", there aren't much but for the dirt roads of ARRS. But I'd totally recommend FIRS, Extreme economy. That lets you pick from quite a few promising routes. I'd recommend starting with fishing, and then concentrate on a brick work. Building materials gives a very good return on investment in this era.

And don't forget to turn town growth off. Letting towns grow for hundreds of years will eventually turn your map into one monstrous conurbation.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

leifbk wrote:And don't forget to turn town growth off. Letting towns grow for hundreds of years will eventually turn your map into one monstrous conurbation.
Or disallow them from building roads and place NewObjects to leave connecting roads err un-urbanized. That way it's possible to grow some towns ... the ones you want to ;)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The new PolRoads set also has some horse-drawn carts in it. I've not played with it yet though.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Yep, polroads have horse carriages, they have less capacity than egrvts (it can be tweaked in grf config), but are more universal, which allow more efficient return trips.
I also recommend 'early houses' newgrf, which decrease passenger/mail production before XXcentury. It would help with decreasing route congestion.
Town growth can be perfectly controlled via any town growth script (for example RCG). Towns will not grow rapidly and limitless before XIX century without modern means of transport.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
MlemandPurrs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MlemandPurrs »

Iron Horse for early trains.

Return to “General OpenTTD”