Issue with long tunnels and signals

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

gexern
Engineer
Engineer

Issue with long tunnels and signals

Post by gexern »

In my game I found managed to place a very nice, long tunnel through a hill, rather than having the trains taking a longer detour around the quite big hill. I also thought it was very nice having a long stretch of lovely tunnel, but to my horror I realized that there does not seem to be a function to put signals within the tunnel!

For shorter tunnels this would of course not be a problem, but this tunnel is 44 tiles long, so where it should be room for 10 trains, there is only room for one. I thought of a solution to lower the ground in short intervals with signals, but this will also be expensive and I could rather just level down the whole stretch.

I tried to find a NewGRF or something that would help, but with no luck!
I wondered if anyone know of a solution to this I would appreciate it a lot!

I am running OS X 10.11
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Issue with long tunnels and signals

Post by Translink »

There is no NewGRF that can resolve this, but I will recommend you Lt Joker's patch. (which is absolutely fantabulous and adds so many good features to the game!)

Here is a link to the video which explains it all and has the download:
https://youtu.be/2MYljQRgRo8
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

There is a boring technical reason why there are no signals in tunnels and bridges (they don't exist as tiles in the map), but the truth is safety regulations.
You cannot have 10 trains in a single tunnel due to fire hazards, collisions, and other things that may go wrong.

From a game play perspective, I like the restriction, as it makes building tunnels and bridges more of a challenge. It doesn't become just more boring straight track with regular spaced signals and some visually different graphics. If you don't want the challenge of the mountain, don't generate a map with mountains.

I usually solve this problem by building more tunnels next to each other. I once needed 4 tunnels to get sufficient capacity, but those tunnels were not 44 tiles long.
Attachments
wronfingford_tunnels.png
wronfingford_tunnels.png (222.47 KiB) Viewed 118 times
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
gexern
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gexern »

Yea, that thought crossed my mind. So I might not go for that Lt. Jokers patch as I love playing the game with a more realistic spirit. But then I know that I have some options. Thanks for all the help! :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

This "Signals in Tunnels and on bridges" patch is one of the more popular ones that you can find in pretty much any patch pack. Unfortunately it's still buggy after all these years, so it's not been proposed for inclusion in the main OpenTTD distribution.

Return to “General OpenTTD”