Bridges to Nowhere

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Bridges to Nowhere

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The bridge across the lake was built in late 1912,and here it is 1929 and it will be a long time,if I understand city growth correctly,before anything is built on the far side of it.
Why are bridges built before there's a need for them?
Attachments
Jubilee Rail Group, 1st Jul 1929.png
(2.92 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Bridges to Nowhere

Post by Alberth »

The road piece left of the bridge got extended, and there was water there.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Baldy's Boss wrote:The bridge across the lake was built in late 1912,and here it is 1929 and it will be a long time,if I understand city growth correctly,before anything is built on the far side of it.
IIRC bridge lengths aren't counted when placing buildings along roads from the centre, so stuff should be built on the far side fairly soon.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

FLHerne wrote:IIRC bridge lengths aren't counted when placing buildings along roads from the centre, so stuff should be built on the far side fairly soon.
[url=https://wiki.openttd.org/Town_growth#Town_Growth wrote:OpenTTD Wiki[/url]]Towns will expand physically by extending roads onto empty areas of the map, then constructing new buildings next to the new roads.
Indeed, it will start placing buildings next to roads that are created from the bridge.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, at least it sensibly cuts across the lake. Play a while and you'll see bridges running parallel to the coast and other ridiculous things ;)

I wonder, does improved road layout have any pathfinder "cost" considerations? Is a lake tile more expensive than a flat, straight expansion or something?

€: like this:
sensiblebridge.png
sensiblebridge.png (73.86 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Transportman wrote:
FLHerne wrote:IIRC bridge lengths aren't counted when placing buildings along roads from the centre, so stuff should be built on the far side fairly soon.
[url=https://wiki.openttd.org/Town_growth#Town_Growth wrote:OpenTTD Wiki[/url]]Towns will expand physically by extending roads onto empty areas of the map, then constructing new buildings next to the new roads.
Indeed, it will start placing buildings next to roads that are created from the bridge.
As noted,over 17 game years it has yet to do so.
Maybe the people of Farndown use the bridge for fishing.
Magron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Magron »

Baldy's Boss wrote:The bridge across the lake was built in late 1912,and here it is 1929 and it will be a long time,if I understand city growth correctly,before anything is built on the far side of it.
It mimics the real world, doesn't it? One cannot expand a city unless there are at least roads for the construction vehicles to use and to define building lots with, right?
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I'd think that the bridge would become necessary only when there was something for it to reach on the far side.
jimbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jimbob »

My local city council built a bridge to nowhere. It was meant to connect to a science park that was going to be built but they got funding for the bridge and not the park, and if you get the money you might as well spend it and make it easier to raise the rest. It got a lot of bad press about it being a waste of tax money, however since then the park has been built which has vindicated the bridge.

Sometimes bridges are built to allow suppressed trips and sometimes they are built to unlock land development. Ottd still does build some silly bridges over tiny ponds or along the front of the coast.
Real life transport planner
My projects:Link to my UK Scenario|Scenario Builder GS
Do check out my 3D unity transport game: transporter
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The bridge is now 20 years old.
There is still nothing across it.
And a competitor has now shown up,starting the same way I did,with passenger service from Farndown to Wronlow,but using road vehicles...
and rather than using that bridge to nowhere as part of their route they ran a road further out of town and built their own bridge!
Attachments
JubileeRailGroup,1stJan1933.sav
(513.41 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Baldy's Boss wrote:The bridge is now 20 years old.
There is still nothing across it.
And a competitor has now shown up,starting the same way I did,with passenger service from Farndown to Wronlow,but using road vehicles...
and rather than using that bridge to nowhere as part of their route they ran a road further out of town and built their own bridge!
That's because the AI is undeniably fairly stupid.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The AI's bridge has a higher speed limit,but its vehicles don't go faster than the original bridge supports.

And it's still got nothing on the far side.
Attachments
JubileeRailGroup,1stJan1937.sav
(518.94 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

That bridge across the lake at Farndown is now over 30 years old and STILL has nothing on the far side.

BUT,over near Wronlow,the bus line that goes over the superfluous bridge built by the competitor goes into a tunnel,and suddenly the coal and wood loading stations I have near Wronlow accept passengers after cottages were built at the end of that tunnel far away from the city but near to those stations.Just what makes these outlying residences happen?
Attachments
JubileeRailGroup,7thOct1943.sav
(549.93 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

In order to avoid such blatant waste of taxpayers' money (as well as protecting players from exposure to this idiocy), I propose a new "Towns are allowed to build bridges" setting under Environment -> Towns.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Makes sense. If we can disallow level-crossings, why not bridges?
Has anyone ever considered teaching towns to build bridges over tracks? :?
Dave

Post by Dave »

leifbk wrote:In order to avoid such blatant waste of taxpayers' money (as well as protecting players from exposure to this idiocy), I propose a new "Towns are allowed to build bridges" setting under Environment -> Towns.
I quite like this idea, but I imagine it's a bit more work than towns building LCs
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

In case people are keeping track,there's STILL nothing on the far side of that bridge...38 years after it was built.
Attachments
JubileeRailGroup,1stJul1950.sav
(547.34 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Fifty years after its construction,that bridge still goes nowhere.
Attachments
Jubilee Rail Group, 1st Oct 1962#1.png
(3.13 MiB) Not downloaded yet
JubileeRailGroup,1stOct1962.sav
(537.35 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

This is why I never allow the Towns to build their own roads, as they look awful, and do weird things like this.

One way you could possibly encourage growth on the other side of the bridge is by building some roads there yourself.

Return to “General OpenTTD”