[32bpp/EZ]BRIX!!!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [32bpp/EZ]BRIX!!!

Post by SyberSycho »

R2T9 wrote:Okay, so since the Yetis are a go, I have a couple of thoughts.
1. They shouldn't be naked.
2. Their clothes I think should somehow represent the type of signal that they are. Not sure how, but I'm sure you'll think of something.
3. Maybe they should be scaled down a little...? Not sure about this one...they seem a little too large. Maybe scale down the bodies, but keep the signs the same? I don't even know if that is possible to do, but just an idea.

Also, I like the Yetis better than the triangular prism signals. Keep up the good work :)
1. Only block signals are nake
2. Their clothes depicts the type of signal they are.
3. The size seems ok to me.
V453000 :) wrote: - I'm not sure if the face is enough, but I will try to make the back side more coloured, yes. Not completely though.
- I would totally love to have the consistent exit signals with white, but the problem is that the ground is white. Which means that if I make majority of the bottom of the signal white, they kind of get lost in the ground. Even with the shadow and stuff. That's why they are blue at the moment. I can try adjusting it a bit, but I don't think it is a huge issue.
- I agree that they aren't super intuitive, but I don't think they need to be that. They are just recognizable, and if you like them you will get used to them quite quickly I believe. It is probably a hard thing to guess so we will have to see how it goes when many people use the newgrf when it is released. :)
I will do some further finetuning and little adjustments probably anyway. :P

Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate it a lot. :)

V
Fair points. :D

I appreciate all the hard work you have done on this and love giving feedback to help in motivating you to achieve the best you can. 8) Keep up all the amazing work!!!
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

I apologize, I missed the part about the color-coordination. But I still don't think that they should be naked.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
R2T9 wrote:… I still don't think that they should be naked.
Why? They are yetis. Yetis, that's well known overall the world, have no stores to buy clothes and thatswhy they are naked in the wild. Ask Reinhold Messner. ;-)

Tschö, Auge
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

How goes things? It's been awhile since any sort of update. Kinda feels like the project is dying a little or maybe just at a standstill currently. As always keep up all your amazing work!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

SyberSycho wrote:How goes things? It's been awhile since any sort of update. Kinda feels like the project is dying a little
I hope not, this is certainly a fresh new look for OpenTTD, would be a shame if it was canned :(
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

I checked the openttdcoop development zone, and he has been working on it recently.

http://dev.openttdcoop.org/users/108

Not a lot of activity, but the project doesn't appear to be dead.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Hello dear humans,

I have been extremely busy with other things lately ... since 12th Feb I have diapers to change, and I am in the process of moving to Prague to stabilize our life, since I work for Factorio as some of you might be aware of. We are getting close to being completely moved, but I am insanely busy with graphics for Factorio.

However, after Factorio 0.13 is out (sometime in June), I should have a little more time which I do intend to throw OpenTTD's way.
That means bringing BRIX to version 0.0.1 and releasing it, along with a totally new train set.

Both of the projects have a concept I like way too much to abandon it, but it just takes time :) I am pretty close to having a solid version 0.0.1 with both of them though, so it alone is motivating to do the final pushes to finish it.

V
ImageImageImage
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

V453000 :) wrote:Hello dear humans,

I have been extremely busy with other things lately ... since 12th Feb I have diapers to change, and I am in the process of moving to Prague to stabilize our life, since I work for Factorio as some of you might be aware of. We are getting close to being completely moved, but I am insanely busy with graphics for Factorio.

However, after Factorio 0.13 is out (sometime in June), I should have a little more time which I do intend to throw OpenTTD's way.
That means bringing BRIX to version 0.0.1 and releasing it, along with a totally new train set.

Both of the projects have a concept I like way too much to abandon it, but it just takes time :) I am pretty close to having a solid version 0.0.1 with both of them though, so it alone is motivating to do the final pushes to finish it.

V
Sounds awsome man and congratulations on the kid.
President
President

Doing some more work on this, so far I have finished some nice things like parameters for disabling anything you want, and here go graphics of monorail tunnels and junctions, along with fixed monorail diagonals.
mono-tunnels.png
mono-tunnels.png (801.71 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
I have shortened by todo list for v 0.0.1, and the release might be happening fairly soon. I just need to do a couple more things like:

* rework all of snow
* related to it make snow tracks
* make foundations as the x1 zoom foundations look BAD with this (I still recommend using original ttd graphics, not zbase, even with BRIX)
* fix some bridge alignment issues
* probably add vehicles, they will look quite simplistic most likely anyway. This means trains and road vehicles.

There are other rather important things like reworking the bulldozed tiles (in large dozed areas they get messy), depots, stations, catenary, effects, track fences, buildings, ... but those will come in later versions.

That's it for now, moar coming soon

V
ImageImageImage
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

Nice to see you again! :)
Tracks look super nice, and I like the tunnel style! Keep up the awesome work!
President
President

Monorail is completely done so I proceeded with some more tasks. I jumped into snow, and a problem arose very quickly - what colour should the snow be? White looks bad with white/gray grass, yellow is weird (but works great for desert), blue is water. Icy blue is obviously also an option but that works terribly as desert, and with white grass it isn't very nice either.

For filesize and extra work reasons, I kind of want to keep this grf universal - one snow graphics, working for both snow and desert. Finding something fitting becomes quite hard.

I started by making the landscape green. From here I will also make colourful trees, and after that snow will be added. So far the plan is that snow will be yellow, I kind of hate white now. :D

Many people hate arctic climate because snow burns their eyes, while everyone is happy with tropic. The mountaintops don't necessarily need to look snowy either, I thought - it can just be less grass/more rocky-ish I guess?

Thoughts?
Attachments
BRIX_taster6.png
(1.22 MiB) Not downloaded yet
ImageImageImage
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

/me votes for neon-yellow snow
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Yellow snow?! :shock:
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It'll look pretty, but I wouldn't advocate eating it.
President
President

I was thinking something like that ... white covered buildings obviously will get replaced with my variant. :>
Attachments
BRIX_taster7-less-saturated.png
(2.06 MiB) Not downloaded yet
BRIX_taster7-saturated.png
(2.1 MiB) Not downloaded yet
ImageImageImage
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Not neon yellow, but looks yummy https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banketbakkersroom
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

Personally don't like the sounds of yellow snow. I would think a light blueish grey would work nicely without being hard on the eyes. Unfortunately it is hair but it is kind of the colour I think would work well for snow. http://img.allw.mn/content/ay/yi/zyjolp ... 997768.jpg

As for things now getting coloured, which I like, to keep with the original idea of brix and making important things more visible I would go with less saturated colours for things like landscape and make the thing you want to catch more attention to the eyes, like trains, more saturated.

Keep up all the amazing work as I love the life new graphics like these can bring to an old game.
President
President

I kind of agree with you, completely in fact, but:

- I'm not sure if white desert doesn't look even more wtf

at least for now I definitely don't want to define snow and desert sprites separately, I want to keep them as one

I could release 2 versions of BRIX, one with white snow and one with deserty snow, that's a lot more feasible to me, but I don't really like that approach. Different grfIDs, mess, ... keeping 1 file is better.

Snow is nice, but if it's not wtf bright like original ttd snow, it looks s***.

I am glad you bring up the general idea of BRIX - having things that matter the most saturated. I thought about this yesterday a lot, because the green grass does kind of violate that rule. However, since the grass has no texture, there is no detail to look for, so there's still that. If other things have details and inner contrast, they draw attention, especially since nothing shall be green in any of the graphics. Only terrain and trees. But I might bring the saturation down a bit still.

I am wondering what kind of "life" will this bring to OpenTTD, but let's see. :)

P.S. I have checked my render queue backlog, and the first spriteset was rendered from BRIX about 1.5 years ago :D it feels insanely long and now it will finally get a release.
ImageImageImage
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

The only way I can see yellow working for snow is if it is a very unsaturated yellow. Kind of like someone with blonde hair who has started to go white. Not sure how well that explains that. I do understand the whole thing about keeping it one sprite for both though.

As for the saturation difference I actually just generally liked how the landscaped looked with less saturation and figured it could look real good with trains being a little more vibrant.

As for life it brings to openTTD it's like when you paint a room in a house a new colour and it just looks like a new room even though it hasn't changed otherwise.
President
President

You really like to describe colours by hair eh :D

I agree and understand, I will see what can be done.

Thank you for your input

V
ImageImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”