Airship High Mooring Mast

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: Airship High Mooring Mast

Post by kamnet »

So here I am, a decade later, still pounding away at this stupid thing :) I started all over yet again, I didn't like the model I was working off of, and this whole thing is aggravating me, but, by God, I'm determined to finish this... or at least get it closer to being playable! I found a nicer view to work off of that almost matches up with OpenTTD's isometric view. I decided I really did like the vestibules all-around, so they're back and this looks a lot closer to the real St. Hubert. This isn't in 2CC (maybe I'll work on it?), I'm sure people will complain about my shading, crooked line, the completely unrefined look, it's too simple, needs noise, greeble, something. I'm completely fine with anybody else stepping in and giving it the refining touches it deserves. I'm definitely no artist.

I'd like to give much credit here to UnicycleBloke, the creator of YAGL. My original code was based on something that RobC hacked up a long, long time ago for a replacement heliport. It was in NFO, and everybody knows what a pain that is to try to modify. It's been so long since I've touched the code that I couldn't even remember what I programmed in or why. UnicycleBloke wrote YAGL to help decode/encode NFO to be more readable (but not a replacement meta-language of it's own, like NML). He also spent a LOT of time documenting YAGL, and his work was immensely helpful. I decided to change the date to make this infinitely available. It will now work with any other airport NewGRF (limit of 128 airports total, not that we're anywhere near close to hitting that 16 years into NewGRFs). I was finally able to get the set name to properly display in the build menu. I still don't have an appropriate build icon displayed (can't figure it out yet). One HUGE benefit is that I set the cachement area to 6, to make it more competitive with trains, and I've set the noise generation to zero... so your local councils are going to want at least one in every city!

With all that, this is still very much a hack. This is a replacement for the Heliport tower, which is a 1x1 tile that helicopters land on top of. The game animation cannot change. The airship will follow the same maneuvers, and will basically sit on the grassy field in front of it. Because of that, there's no rotation available, it would be pointless. The airship mast itself overhangs on the tile to the northeast corner, so that the airship's nose appears to be within the vicinity of the loading platform. You see the windsock in the middle of the field? THAT is what you'll click on to select the station. It's not climate-aware, that's something else that's a bit beyond me right now. And because the mast itself overhangs, it will overwrite any sprits on that adjacent tile. I would suggest using a nice Object to build something on that tile (pavement, park, something) to help it blend in. It looks OK at 1x zoom, and an awful mess at 2x/4x zoom. The graphics I'm working from are much larger, but I haven't figured out how to put those higher zoom levels in yet. I'd like to, though.

Since this is a public domain project, feel free to hack on this all you want. I've included my original YAGL source code. If you want it in NFO, you can decompile with grfcodec to get it. If you want it in NML, you'll have to write it yourself, sorry! For now, here's a few images to keep you fed.
Attachments
logo.png
logo.png (99.33 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
airmast-again-380x800.png
airmast-again-380x800.png (66.88 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
UnicycleBloke
Engineer
Engineer

Post by UnicycleBloke »

kamnet wrote: 07 Feb 2021 07:41 I'd like to give much credit here to UnicycleBloke, the creator of YAGL.
Thank you so much for this credit. When I developed yagl way back whenever, I had so little feedback and so few users that I gave up and put it to one side. I had enormous fun doing it but nobody had asked for it. I seriously misjudged to market, so to speak. :) I recall that one of the regulars (planetmaker?) advised me to work on the existing tools instead...

I have only seen your comment by coincidence. Someone actually contacted me for support recently! I was able to get them working pretty quickly. Following that, I thought I'd look in on the forum. If this carries on, I'll have to update the software to include any recent changes in the spec...

Al
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

kamnet wrote: 07 Feb 2021 07:41 I'm completely fine with anybody else stepping in and giving it the refining touches it deserves.
Kamnet asked me early last year if I could convert this sprite to an 8bpp palette, and I noticed that the perspective was not truly isometric so I built a model in MagicaVoxel and rendered it with GoRender, using the same pipeline developed by Timberwolf that I used for Danish Trains.

The voxel object, new sprite, and NML code for a snow-aware 1CC object, can be found on GitHub. Who's going to run it with it next and make it an actual airport? :wink:
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Here you go ...

St-Hubert Airship Docking Station with HM Airship R100 on Christmas Day 1930 ...

St-Hubert Airship Docking Station.png
St-Hubert Airship Docking Station.png (408.79 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

Now, we just need some furniture for the Airship Port to complete the job.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

OzTrans wrote: 19 Dec 2021 04:29 Here you go ...
Is that coded as an airport, or as an object?
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
kamnet wrote: 19 Dec 2021 22:26 Is that coded as an airport, or as an object?
Because of the airport station sign in the screenshot I expect it to be coded as a station.

Tschö, Auge
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

kamnet wrote: 19 Dec 2021 22:26Is that coded as an airport, or as an object?
It has been coded as an Airport, to be precise as a Heli Port. But, do not send helicopters there.

For technical reasons, the heli pad is below the airship and not the mast itself.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Nice job! Would you like to be added as an author so you can upload it to Bananas?
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

kamnet wrote: 22 Dec 2021 04:14 Nice job! Would you like to be added as an author so you can upload it to Bananas?
This job is far from finished. The 'airport' still requires fences, gates and other structures. I also need to do the preview menu. Will all be done in good time. I coded it as it is a natural fit for the Canadian Theme Pack, which is very much a work in progress.

I wouldn't want to make unripe products available at the fruit shop ...

Return to “Graphics Development”