OTTD with OpenGfx and OpenSfx

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

OTTD with OpenGfx and OpenSfx

Post by Transporter »

Hi,

I read that the next release after the 0.7.-series is OTTD 0.8.0 which includes OpenGfx and -Sfx files.
Shouldn't this first full version be called 1.0?

Transporter
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OTTD with OpenGfx and OpenSfx

Post by planetmaker »

What purpose would it serve?
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

Why not? After years of 0.x.x-versions. The first full version of OTTD should have a full version number ;-)
But you may also use a random generator to find a version number...
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

Transporter wrote:Hi,

I read that the next release after the 0.7.-series is OTTD 0.8.0 which includes OpenGfx and -Sfx files.
Shouldn't this first full version be called 1.0?

Transporter
The idea is not bad at all!

Years ago when I asked, when 1.0 would be released, they told me, if OpenTTD is fully free, and that is now or not?
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Timmaexx wrote:that is now or not?
What about the music?
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

You mean OpenMSX ;-)
oleoleole
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oleoleole »

But does anybody know when we can expect OpenTTD with OpenGFX/SFX (either 0.8 or 1 :p)? I see that the 0.7.5 version is going to be released (probably), but why not just focus on 0.8 directly and just release an entire game? ;] Is it anything special which is taking some extra time due to inclusion of sound and grapichs?

*waiting like a child waiting for his christmas gift* :p~
ok
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

oleoleole wrote: [...]I see that the 0.7.5 version is going to be released (probably), but why not just focus on 0.8 directly and just release an entire game?[...]
The focus is on trunk(0.8)!
Check the Changelog on vcs.openttd.org!
CynicalRyan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CynicalRyan »

planetmaker wrote:What purpose would it serve?
a) Feature completeness (the Linux kernel was made "1.0.0" once networking was included, apart from other necessary OS-level stuff, signifying that Linux was ready for the wide, wild word, and not just enthusiasts and early adopters)
b) "Production ready"
c) Everything withing a major version can be considered as set in stone, with no surprises happening. E.g. no changes in the OpenGFX code that breaks existing NewGRFs, a scripting language's API will work the same within every major release, etc.
d) Reduced workload: Bugfixes (of security, stability, or expected playability) are done in a major release, while the next iteration gets new features; it's maintenance vs development
e) Psychologically, it means that a newby can play the game and expect the game to work as advertised by the manual
RAMMAR
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RAMMAR »

Heh... With a new graphics, new sounds and may be with a new music this game will become something very new and then it has to have a new name, something like this one: The Giants of the World Transport vesion 1.0, because it won't have anything to do with the original Transport Tycoon (Deluxe) (name is still copyrighted)... As for me, I'll play at the pre Open SFX & GFX version...
Life is the moving train on the tracks...
(Transport Tycoon Deluxe for the real)
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I really don't see the point of changing from 0.x.x numbering to 1.x.x numbering. If anything, it would confuse some people.
Keep it the way it is. That way we'll never get confused between stable and testing version numbers. Nightlies, of course, are unaffected either way.
CynicalRyan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CynicalRyan »

Gremnon wrote:I really don't see the point of changing from 0.x.x numbering to 1.x.x numbering. If anything, it would confuse some people.
Keep it the way it is. That way we'll never get confused between stable and testing version numbers. Nightlies, of course, are unaffected either way.
The solution: Even numbers are stable version, uneven numbers are development versions. E.g. 1.2.0 is the Version 1, release 2 stable version. 1.3.0 is the then-current development version, which becomes 1.4.0 when it's deemed ready for the public consumption. Work then continues in version 1.5.0.

BTW, what do you suggest happens at version 0.9999.9999, if the version never gets bumped to 1.0? Or version 0.10e99.10e98 (to use an outlandish example)?
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

So, from the view of someone who's never seen the game before, how would they interpret the jump from 0.8.x to 1.x.x?
Keep it the way it is. It works.
Or better yet, let the developers decide. But TBH, if it ever came to choice, I would say keep it the same.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

No doubt about it, the next "new" release will be 0.8.0. Hopefully it will include OpenGFX and OpenSFX. In the end, there will always be something from the original Transport Tycoon used in-game, be it music, the actual name or pieces of coding
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
CynicalRyan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CynicalRyan »

Gremnon wrote:So, from the view of someone who's never seen the game before, how would they interpret the jump from 0.8.x to 1.x.x?
"Oh, great, the game's finished. Now I can play without being afraid of so_and_so."

Most people get commercial software. Would you *buy* something that isn't even completed? That's how people approach software of all kinds, free or not.

(Yeah, now the argument "it's free", "but it's open source", etc. will come. Explain the concept to your dad, your aunt, or your grandmother. See how far you get.)
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Let see...

Windows 3.1
Windows 95
Windows Millenium
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Yeah... having a contiguous numbering scheme is for sure the key of success. And it is so freaking meaningfully...

I wonder if i'll wait for Windows 10 before using it...

By the way, my Dad who is retired understand the whole concept of OpenSource software. You see, in my family, we grew with our time. See what I mean?
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

belugas, you left out 98 (and NT, 2000, 2003 and 2008). ;)
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Ho boy.. all those goodies I have missed...
Anyway, those numbers are not refering to a stable version, I guess...
Ho... and Ubuntu...does not it stamps its version number by the date it gets released ?
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Transporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Transporter »

Some words about the game itself:

I hope even a new version 0.8.0 with included OpenGFX and -SFX offers the option to use the original TTD GRF and SFX files for people who are possessing the original game. I play the game since more than ten years and I'm familiar with it so that I would miss something otherwise. There should be the option to switch between the files also for the future, like this moment using the nightly.

Transporter
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

This option exist in the game options dialog. I'm sure OpenTTD will continue to ship the .obg and .obs files for the original TTD graphics and sound sets, so that people just can add their TTD data files.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “General OpenTTD”