[OTTD] OpenGFX releases - Graphics Replacement Project

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX GPL Releases

Post by SirkoZ »

This OpenGFX set is great but apart from being too dark (IMO), someone should really remove that annoying while line on the water at coast tiles.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

With the help of the guys at #openttdcoop we've managed to set up a source repository for OpenGFX. I've pushed OpenGFX to it less than an hour ago. It's a Mercurial repository and if you like you can do an anonymous checkout:

Code: Select all

hg clone http://mz.openttdcoop.org/hg/opengfx
The readme is now officially located at http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenGFX_Readme. Future releases will just include a copy of that page, so be sure to check the wiki for the latest information!

Future precompiled releases will be available from http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opengfx/files and of course you now can build a version of your own. Currently there's not much new in the repo since alpha 4.2, so I don't think you should bugger compiling yourself right now.

We also now have a bugtracker at http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opengfx/issues. This will replace the buglist at the wiki. Just keep posting the bugs you find here in this very topic and one of the OpenGFX developers will add it to the issue tracker.

The first post of this topic will be updated in due time.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I've opened a poll (see above) because we need your opinion on what monorail and maglev wagons to include with OpenGFX. More details available here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=792003#p792003
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

What's a monolev? I voted for the "I don't care" option... :P Can't you use both? For the different railtypes, I mean...
Hmm, what should I put here...
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

mrMann wrote:What's a monolev?
Not sure, if you asked seriously, but I answer seriously. :P

monolev is word game introduced from Foobar, iirc. It means monorail and maglev, but sounds cooler and is shorter. ;-)

We also like to introduce the nightly building system of OpenGFX, you can download a development version every night, if there are changes done between, from here:
http://mz.openttdcoop.org/bundles/opengfx/nightlies/

Greets
Ammler
Last edited by Ammler on 30 May 2009 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

I'd guessed it was some amalgamation of maglev and monorail, but had no idea why you'd used it :P
Hmm, what should I put here...
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

then i think, "we" should draw some wagons, with milennium Z1 and Chimaera sprites that mach eachother, so that they actually look like a "whole train". (Like the original gfx did with milennium and the wagons)
Member of the
ImageImage
eraserkry
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eraserkry »

i dont like brabus wagons.... It seen's some simple and uglu (sorry for my bad english)
Train's unreally
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Wow what a big push OpenGFX has been given this last week :bow:

Great work guys :D

I've even added http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ope ... revisions/ to my bookmarks to see what's being done..

I really hope that with all this late development this week, OpenGFX comes closer to a 1.0 release..

Thank you all for your work :)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Digitalfox wrote:I really hope that with all this late development this week, OpenGFX comes closer to a 1.0 release..
Every commit is a step closer to 1.0.

But mind you, we're currently still at pre-0.1. When all sprites are done, we'll release 0.1 final first. Then it's up to the OpenTTD developers to decide if they want to ship that with OpenTTD. In the meantime a whole bunch of sprites can be improved, like for instance making toyland more toyland-ish and replacing "quick and dirty" graphics by nice ones. This will then most likely yield a 0.2. As soon as every active OpenGFX developer feels that there's nothing to improve, we'll call it 1.0 but there's still a long way to go before that happens.
Digitalfox wrote:Thank you all for your work
And thank you for your (mental) support and interest in the set!
ever
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ever »

Hello

Silly and overly hopeful request but here goes.

Is there any possibility in splitting this set up into opengfx and openinterface?

I like the old interface (font, icons etc.) but the new spirtes.

If this suggestion is too stupid ignore it and move on - I don't really mind too much, I'm just putting it out there.

Appreciate all the work and I know its gonna all look very beautiful one day
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

There will be no derivative releases (ie. ones with only part of opengfx), that kinda defeats the point! However that's the great thing about open source graphics, just cut out the sprites you don't want to use yourself!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Zephyris wrote:There will be no derivative releases (ie. ones with only part of opengfx), that kinda defeats the point! However that's the great thing about open source graphics, just cut out the sprites you don't want to use yourself!
Or make a newgrf which then overwrites OpenGFX's interface graphics with the old ones. That grf might have copyright issues, though...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

ever wrote:Is there any possibility in splitting this set up into opengfx and openinterface?
Impossible. Stipping the GUI out would make it impossible for people to use OpenGFX without the original TTD graphics, apart from other technical difficulties.

Glad you like the rest of the set though :D

The best solution indeed is to create a NewGRF that restores the original GUI. Copyright prohibits to distribute such a thing, so you would have to create it yourself though. Then load that as static newgrf.

Second best solution is to check out the OpenGFX source, replace the GUI sprites by their original equivalents and then compile a modified OpenGFX yourself. Again you can't distribute that, but it's fine for personal use.

I don't think it's a stupid suggestion. It's just a bit impractical though.
drginaldee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by drginaldee »

Hi iam kind of brand new guy here, i am from hungary, hello everyone.

I am playing this game since the original ttd started, and i was always wandering if i could change the game, make it better etc.. you know every child does the same... :)

So i am so happy to see that things really in players hand these days at ttd :)

I was jsut checking around what can i help or create, and i think as kind of graphic desiner/architecture i should do some graphic stuff. But so far that i downloaded some of the unfinished Sprites (4614:4619 (6) - Modern office block) - an i tried to do some graphic on it - i don't really know how to share it with you guys.

It would be wonderful if you can say some useful words.

Till then here what i did so far:
ImageImage

a bit greener, a bit darker, a bit different but not to much... :)
cheers

daniel
[HUN]
Thief^
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Thief^ »

Very very nice.

Perfect even.

Though I'm sure someone will have some suggestions...
Melt with the Shadows,
Embrace your destiny...
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

It's very nice, but note that graphics go to the development topic http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=38122 ;)
Also the pavement should be the one that opengfx uses not the original one
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Hi, and welcome :)
drginaldee wrote:Hi iam kind of brand new guy here, i am from hungary,
Till then here what i did so far:
ImageImage
Wow, looks awesome :)

There are several ways to contribute. One is, of course, to post the things your draw just in this thread as either png and / or possibly additionally as properly palleted PCX. But you're very welcome (and I'd be happy, if so) to join us on our devzone as well: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opengfx Register there and you can claim single open issues (e.g. missing buildings) and post your work on it directly related to that issue right there. It makes tracking of who does what and what actually exists easier. That site also allows you to checkout the latest status of the opengfx set or download a nightly which is not published elsewhere.

EDIT: oh, and Lord Azamoth is, of course, right with the choice of topics.
drginaldee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by drginaldee »

Thanks a lot guys! Specially planetmaker, for the invitation, i going to check it out as soon as possible.

About the pavement i tought the same - so i am going to find a new one. I checkd the color tabel it has 256 colors instead of 37 which was the original building, so i am going to draw down some unuseful pixels.

Things working like this: I go to devzone, i check the already done works - i look for the pavement sprite and the work in progress building grafix, than i implant them into mine!?

i go deeper yesss :D

have a nice day
[HUN]

Return to “Graphics Releases”